What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim kit

On the 14/14A, electric trim is the only option and it is well worth the $ and little effort it takes to install it. It is easier to install it during the build then later on.

mount in right wing

If you mount your magnetometer in left wing as per plans, better to mount trim in right wing. Also, the left harness is pretty full going through routing bushings. Not a problem routing through the right wing. Be careful about inverting the install.

Another vote for the aileron trim. It is very handy and relatively easy to install, except for those tiny pins! Had some trouble getting those to sit correctly.

If you mount your magnetometer in left wing as per plans, better to mount trim in right wing. Also, the left harness is pretty full going through routing bushings. Not a problem routing through the right wing. Be careful about inverting the install.

In fact, for the -14 OP38 says builders MUST put it in the right wing. For the -10 it can be left or right.

Does anyone know if this is just because the AHRS mounting plate gets in the way on the -14? I.e. if you mounted the magnetometer somewhere else (and the AHRS behind the panel) you could indeed use the left wing?

The wing wiring harness also has the wires ready for you in the right wing. Aileron trim kit is a must have for the 14 unless you always fly with 2 equal weight people and tanks perfectly balanced.

anyone using the manual aileron trim kit? $46 vs $300 for the electric and seemingly easier install

Last edited:
-14 Elec Aileron Trim

Got mine installed today. Took most of the day. Had the wing in the cradle. Used both alignment templates to set the aileron in neutral position. Hope that works. Guess I'll find out when the wings get attached.

Finally figured out I needed to remove the aileron trim arm from the assembly to get both springs hooked up. Then attached the arm to the assembly using tweezers for the little washers and a small needle-nose vice grip to set the cotter pins.
Just like everything, you figure it out as you go.

Engine getting built in a couple weeks. Panel getting shipped next week.
It's starting to get real. :)

Back