What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

leg and intersection fairings

iaw4

Well Known Member
may I ask how long it should approximately take for an RV6A or RV7A airplane without leg fairings to receive them?

if this takes a while (like lots of fiberglass, wood, and other fitting work), then I am wondering why no one makes "snap-on" versions that eliminate most of the work. the inside could be simple foam. if I understand it correctly, the primary purpose is not structural; it just needs to smooth airflow.

Fairings-Etc sells intersection fairings for RV?s - advertises on this website They fit very well, but still require some work. I don?t know it they sell the leg fairings, but Vans does and they don?t require very much work to get fitted either.

Fairings

I just took the eaa workshops composites course.. making a fairing is super easy! I would rather make my own then to even worry about modifying something that doesn't fit right. .I'm taking really really easy to make a nice gear leg fairing. .

A few things to understand..

Just a few things to "mentally load" before doing the fairings. As others have mentioned, there are premade fairings, DIY, but either way, the alignment and proper attachment will be important for longevity, appearance and flight characteristics. The only way to locate them correctly is with the aircraft completely off the ground and in a level flight condition, so its just not as simple as snapping them on. The gear is very dynamic and moves way more than one thinks..watch a video of one taxiing or landing on grass. These considerations are applied when working the fits and clearances. I prefer the DYI on any of the earlier models, however I have not tried a premade one. Hopefully, you can reach out to a local builder of any -4,-6, or -7 as they all have similar gear legs and see how the process works. The fairings installed improperly can give you flight trim issues you will chase and probably correct wrongly, so learn all you can before you do it.

Back