What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Deviation Request Video

Deviation tool

Used it yesterday to get a plane that is hangared in a non adsb area to a minor airport under our class B Veil. The approval took about 2 seconds once enter was hit.

So

Have most of you spent the $$ and done the upgrade and now all behind you, or is there a huge percentage that are kind of in a tough spot and having to really limit their flying now and panic upgrade?

Seems like now that it is the rule of the land...with the cost of upgrades, and the date passed.....big deal in your country . Just wondered how it was playing out in the real world.
Our Country still cant figure out the rules they are going to make, frequency etc, and like the 406 elt.....seems you dont want to jump too quick,, as they often allow exceptions and delays at 0 hour and prices on equip drops too.

Will need my ads b done in the next couple months to enjoy your sunshine i guess.

Used it yesterday to get a plane that is hangared in a non adsb area to a minor airport under our class B Veil. The approval took about 2 seconds once enter was hit.

Did it mention anything about how many times you can use it? Not the Regs but the actual website when you requested it ?

Deviation Web Tool - ADAPT.

Rick, Still to soon to tell how it will play out here. There are many reasons to slow play the upgrade and the primary one is that 80 pct of the planes are based where ADS-B is not needed.

135- No the website is pretty basic and only grants or denies. Apparently, if it says no it does not even tell you why.

I think the FAA wrote the ADAPT guidelines real loose so they could watch our behaviour play out with regard to requesting deviations. They are learning too. A small plane based way out in a rural airport that requests 5 or 6 deviations a year should be fine. Trying to go someplace like KATL might get you denied. The VERY clear message I read into their guidelines are, if you are based under a Mode C vail, they may ask you to show evidence of getting ADSB installed. IE avionics order or appointment with a shop or they will start denying more that a few requests. . All of the above is IMHO only.

I think if the request makes sense, and you are staying in the outer rings, they will just approve it at least for now.

ADAPT Tool

As an experiment I put in a request to fly into the Bravo veil.

Under "Reason for Request" I checked Other. Then in Comments I put Lunch.
I immediately got an email stating "Your authorization request has been placed in pending status for review. When the review is complete, you will receive an email with a final determination. If you have not received email notification of final decision 30 minutes prior to the proposed departure time, consider the request denied."

My departure time past with no further email so I assumed it was denied.
Then six hours after my request I got another email stating that is was approved.

It also said "If departure is not made within 2 hours of the proposed departure time, this authorization is canceled."

So I guess it was denied then approved then canceled.
It looks like their system needs a little work.
So be advised if your reason will be OTHER allow plenty of time for approval.

One of the other Reason options is Fringe Operation. Anybody know what means?

Did it mention anything about how many times you can use it?
AFAIK only one time use. If you need to enter again, then another deviation request will be required. One deviation request per flight in to "rule airspace".

:cool:

Last edited:
One of the other Reason options is Fringe Operation. Anybody know what means?

The FAA defines a fringe airport as ?an airport that is approximately 25 nm or farther from the Class B airspace primary airport and is not served by a scheduled air carrier; or an airport outside the Mode C veil at which aircraft operations in the traffic pattern routinely enter the Mode C veil.? Many pilots operating at fringe airports have had an LOA to permit not equipping with a transponder, which is an FAA policy AOPA advocated to similarly be applicable for the ADS-B rule.

AFAIK only one time use. If you need to enter again, then another deviation request will be required. One deviation request per flight in to "rule airspace".

:cool:

I meant how many times can you use the system and request the deviation. I know what the Regs say, I was just asking if the computer gave him some warning letting you know before you hit SEND.

Feliz 2020 hermano !!

I meant how many times can you use the system and request the deviation. I know what the Regs say, I was just asking if the computer gave him some warning letting you know before you hit SEND.

Feliz 2020 hermano !!

I have no idea, but how would the computer know you had already used the system, until you hit SEND?

Feliz 2020 at ti tambien hermano !! :D

I have no idea, but how would the computer know you had already used the system, until you hit SEND?

Feliz 2020 at ti tambien hermano !! :D

I meant a warning of some kind informing you that you should only use this system for necessary flights and repeated use would result in denied requests, or something like that. You know a "common sense" warning, since common sense isn't so common anymore. ;)

Back