VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 PM
RVG8tor's Avatar
RVG8tor RVG8tor is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 1,235
Default Can you ID these nut plates

I bought some bulk aviation hardware a while back off of ebay and there are loads of nut plates. I want to attach nut plates to my Dynon pitot controller so I can screw it to the wing rib, I would then only need holes in my wing ribs, the deal is the controller needs to be on the flush side of the rib, side without the bumps. At any rate these little gems would work just fine but I don't know what they are made out of and if it is compatible with aluminum. I don't know if you can see in the picture but there is a white coating inside on the threads. These appear to take AN-3 bolts, which is kind of big for my application, I may just order what I need. But I wanted to see if anyone could tell me what this type of nut plate is sued for, and what it is made of.

__________________
Mike "Nemo" Elliott
RV-8A (First Flight 12-12-12!)
Olympia, WA
N800ME
www.mykitlog.com/rvg8tor


Dues Paid 2017
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM
GAHco's Avatar
GAHco GAHco is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paso Robles, CA
Posts: 1,177
Default Identity of lil' nutplate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVG8tor View Post
I bought some bulk aviation hardware a while back off of ebay and there are loads of nut plates. I want to attach nut plates to my Dynon pitot controller so I can screw it to the wing rib, I would then only need holes in my wing ribs, the deal is the controller needs to be on the flush side of the rib, side without the bumps. At any rate these little gems would work just fine but I don't know what they are made out of and if it is compatible with aluminum. I don't know if you can see in the picture but there is a white coating inside on the threads. These appear to take AN-3 bolts, which is kind of big for my application, I may just order what I need. But I wanted to see if anyone could tell me what this type of nut plate is used for, and what it is made of.

MS21087-3, 10-32 side by side mini nutplate, silver plated, cres.
(CRES)= Corrosion Resistant Steel

page 171 of PB5.1 GAHco. Reference Book, or page 168 of ref book 5

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com.../nutplates.pdf

Print these out RV'ers have frequent nutplate questions.

-----------------------------------------------------
Or order one of these Postpaid within the US.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com...te=PB+REF+BOOK
__________________
Get em in the Sky!
Tom Brink Pres.
GENUINE AIRCRAFT HARDWARE Company
www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/site_tips.asp


28th Anniversary of GAHco March, 2012
Thanks for being part of our success
Dues Paid November 2012

Last edited by GAHco : 06-09-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 AM
RVG8tor's Avatar
RVG8tor RVG8tor is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 1,235
Default Good for Aluminum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHco View Post
MS21087-3, 10-32 side by side mini nutplate, silver plated, cres.
(CRES)= Corrosion Resistant Steel

page 171 of PB5.1 GAHco. Reference Book, or page 168 of ref book 5

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com.../nutplates.pdf

Print these out RV'ers have frequent nutplate questions.

-----------------------------------------------------
Or order one of these Postpaid within the US.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com...te=PB+REF+BOOK
Wow thanks for the reference, I have a lot more nut plates to identify. So would silver plating work for aluminum parts. Looking at the specification this looks like it is to be used in hotter environments.

After looking at the price I think I got a deal on this surplus hardware, butene these nut plates and some cherry rivets I think I paid for the whole lot!

Cheers
Mike
__________________
Mike "Nemo" Elliott
RV-8A (First Flight 12-12-12!)
Olympia, WA
N800ME
www.mykitlog.com/rvg8tor


Dues Paid 2017
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
chaskuss chaskuss is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 1,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHco View Post
MS21087-3, 10-32 side by side mini nutplate, silver plated, cres.
(CRES)= Corrosion Resistant Steel
Tom,
When you state "silver plated" do you mean that the nutplates are plated with actual silver, or a corrosion resistant silver colored metal (maybe cadmium)? Just wondering. I've seen CRES nut plates that were made from stainless steel and also cadmium plated steel.
Charlie Kuss
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 PM
GAHco's Avatar
GAHco GAHco is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paso Robles, CA
Posts: 1,177
Default Silver it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskuss View Post
Tom,
When you state "silver plated" do you mean that the nutplates are plated with actual silver, or a corrosion resistant silver colored metal (maybe cadmium)? Just wondering. I've seen CRES nut plates that were made from stainless steel and also cadmium plated steel.
Charlie Kuss
Argh matey, they be real silver, an just a little more precious.
__________________
Get em in the Sky!
Tom Brink Pres.
GENUINE AIRCRAFT HARDWARE Company
www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/site_tips.asp


28th Anniversary of GAHco March, 2012
Thanks for being part of our success
Dues Paid November 2012
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
GAHco's Avatar
GAHco GAHco is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paso Robles, CA
Posts: 1,177
Default Compatability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVG8tor View Post
Wow thanks for the reference, I have a lot more nut plates to identify. So would silver plating work for aluminum parts. Looking at the specification this looks like it is to be used in hotter environments.

After looking at the price I think I got a deal on this surplus hardware, butene these nut plates and some cherry rivets I think I paid for the whole lot!

Cheers
Mike
They are typically for stainless structures when they are silver plated and that works well with high heat and corrosion prone areas.

I would not use them directly on un-primed aluminum in a critical structure, but I have seen them used in seaplane structures that are primed or coated well.

If we could get a metallurgist / materials engineer to chime in, we all could get the real scoop?
__________________
Get em in the Sky!
Tom Brink Pres.
GENUINE AIRCRAFT HARDWARE Company
www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/site_tips.asp


28th Anniversary of GAHco March, 2012
Thanks for being part of our success
Dues Paid November 2012
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.