What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cordless Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 recording

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Probably a question for the G3 experts but perhaps someone has already successfully paired the GMA 245 Bluetooth audio panel for video recording.

I would like to eliminate the headphone patch cable and be able to Bluetooth the audio from my GMA 245 panel to the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30. From the GMA 245 manual,

?The GMA 245 supports Bluetooth wireless delivery of pilot headphone audio to versions of the Garmin VIRB action camera that support Bluetooth mic audio input for recording.?

Although the VIRB Ultra 30 isn?t specifically mentioned, is it a VERSION that supports Bluetooth audio input?

I have two Virb Ultra 30s recording at the same time for different cockpit views during formation flights. I have them set up as a ?Master? and ?extended? and start/stop recording with the Aera 660 GPS and this functions works perfectly. Can I also send Bluetooth audio to BOTH cameras via the master/slave option for audio as well as video control?

Probably a question for the G3 experts but perhaps someone has already successfully paired the GMA 245 Bluetooth audio panel for video recording.

I would like to eliminate the headphone patch cable and be able to Bluetooth the audio from my GMA 245 panel to the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30. From the GMA 245 manual,

“The GMA 245 supports Bluetooth wireless delivery of pilot headphone audio to versions of the Garmin VIRB action camera that support Bluetooth mic audio input for recording.”

Although the VIRB Ultra 30 isn’t specifically mentioned, is it a VERSION that supports Bluetooth audio input?

I have two Virb Ultra 30s recording at the same time for different cockpit views during formation flights. I have them set up as a “Master” and “extended” and start/stop recording with the Aera 660 GPS and this functions works perfectly. Can I also send Bluetooth audio to BOTH cameras via the master/slave option for audio as well as video control?
Hello Oly,

We have two G3X Touch flight test aircraft and each of them use a Virb Ultra 30 connected Bluetooth to a GMA 245 audio panel to record everything that happens on each flight. Since all audio is recorded including the intercom, it also allows the flight test pilot to narrate the flight. Works great. Of all the Garmin Virb camera models that we have used over the years, the Ultra 30 has been our favorite.

The Bluetooth audio is only supplied to one camera, and the master camera cannot share Bluetooth audio with the slave camera(s).

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin Virb Bluetooth audio

Thanks Steve, I have one cable that plugs into the headphone jack and the other end into one of the Virbs. I use LEMO jacks so don’t really need the Y cord part of it.

If anyone is looking for the perfect solution this camera is it. Takes great videos and can use any GoPro mount. Unlike the crappy battery in the GoPro cameras you can record the whole flight with no external USB battery connected. And boy are there a LOT of camera settings you can play around with- “expansive” a very wide field of view, image stabilization and a lot of other cool features. Takes great still photos too if you want a wide field of view picture but not necessarily a panoramic shot.

Last question Steve- If I use the Bluetooth on one of the cameras to eliminate some cabling will this significantly decrease battery power?

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I have one cable that plugs into the headphone jack and the other end into one of the Virbs. I use LEMO jacks so don?t really need the Y cord part of it.

If I use the Bluetooth on one of the cameras to eliminate some cabling will this significantly decrease battery power?
Hello Oly,

Doesn't seem to.

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin Virb

As always, outstanding customer support once again from Garmin & specifically Steve & the G3 experts.

Now if only Garmin would fix the bug in their video editing software which limits displayed ground speeds to 127 Kts. I posted numerous complaints on the Virb forum and never even got the courtesy of a reply. Grrrrrr.....

Back