What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel pants, to do or not to do.

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Im getting down to the wire on the build. Because of time restrains, I'm limited on time to commit to finishing the pants and gear fairings right now (thanks Irma). I was thinking if the inital fit of the main gear wheel pants (just fitting and drilling, etc) only require a few days, then maybe I can at least do that to save under the wing work later. My other option is just wait until spring time and do all the pants and gear fairings then. I will be beginning work on the quick build wings next week and everything else is done other than the pants, gear fairings, and system calibrations. My goal is to have the plane ready for inspection by January. Input appriciated..

Last edited:
You'll need the wings on to do the upper intersection fairings. But everything else you should be able to do now. The wheel pants and leg fairings took me 52 hours (not including the upper intersections).

I flew the first 15 hours without them on. Last weekend I installed them. Took another 8 hours to do the upper intersections and pretty it up. I'll say it was frustrating working under the wings even for that short amount of time. I'm glad I did the bulk of the work while the airplane was still in my garage.

http://airplane.athomeinthewilburness.com/2017/01/31/wheel-pants-etc/

Do it while the wings are off. It is horrible working under the wings!! As mentioned above, it is a long process. You can do the wheel pants installation, wheel pants alignment, gear leg fairings and their alignment, as well as fitting the lower intersection fairings with the wings off (you need the lower intersection fairings installed which will maintain the gear leg fairing alignment). The RV Bits intersection fairings are very well made and much easier to install than the VANS supplied intersection fairings. They fit right out of the box and no surface finishing needed! Once the wings are on, the only process that remains is to fit the upper intersection fairings.
I spent a lot of time verifying correct alignment in fear of inducing some roll effect from the wheel pants and gear leg fairing.
Cheers.
Johan

Pants take a lot of time and effort. If you're pushing a timeline do them as you can. I finished mine but Will remove them prior to initial test flights.

I would not put a timeline or deadline on when to have the plane ready for inspection or first flight,,,,,its ready when its ready. Don't rush things along just because you are getting close and you set a goal. I always think back to a few years ago when the builder/owner of an RV-10 was in such a rush to get the plane flying and ready for a family trip that he ignored a lot of issues, fudged his phase 1 requirements, and ended up killing himself AND his family on that first trip. Re-evaluate a time line.

I purchased the aftermarket intersection fairings:

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Intersection-Fairings-for-RV10/productinfo/RV10IF4/#.WeePTUzMzVo

Best $195 spent. There is NO comparison between the Vans intersections and these. Trim the flange, drill the holes, good to go... No laying under the wings laying up fiberglass!

Those are the RV Bits made intersection fairings I mentioned earlier. Cleveland tools is the USA distributor of the RV Bits intersection fairings. They are manufactures in South Africa.
I agree, best $195 I've spent on the project.
Johan

Thanks, I will do the main wheel pants before installing the wings. I looked into the intersecting fairings, looks like a way to go. Dave, thank you for your concern. I agee with you that aviation and rushing don't pair. I have committed my calendar to finishing the plane. 50 hours plus a week. No rushing. But working full time does get you into a smooth rhythm and I even find there are less part sacrifices made to the Van gods

Back