What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

kitlog pro

dspender

Well Known Member
I need help getting through to Kitlog. I have detailed over 900 hours of my RV-10 build onto Kitlog. I recently converted from Windows 7 to 8.1. The kitlog icon on my desktop would not open so I downloaded the 2.0 version. When I go to the construction log, my project is not there. I really didn't expect it would be. I can see my construction log on the internet as I have in the past, however I do not see it in the newly downloaded kitolg and I do not know how to make more entries. I have emailed and left voice messages many times to kitlog but they have returned none of them. Any suggestions?

Update to Kitlog 2.0

Matt from Kitlog sent me the following instructions when I wanted to move my files from one computer to another. Worked for me. May be helpful for your case?

XP And Windows 7/8 ONLY INSTALLATION

1) Make sure you are logged in as Administrator (or your account is in the Administrator Group) (very important).

2) If you are installing Kitlog over the top of an existing installation or are moving to a new computer, locate your existing Kitlog database file on the OLD computer and make a backup copy of it onto a thumb drive or other external device:

c:\Program Files\aeroware\Kitlog Pro v2.0\kitlog.mdb

!! This is an important step as the installer will over-write any existing database file in the default location.

3) Download this installer:

http://www.kitlog.com/dls/kitlogpro.exe (DOWNLOAD VERSION)

4) Run the installer from Step 3 on the NEW computer.

5) Go the Kitlog installation folder (Windows 7/8 Only):

c:\Program Files\aeroware\Kitlog Pro v2.0\kitlogpro.exe
or
c:\Program Files (x86)\aeroware\Kitlog Pro v2.0\kitlogpro.exe

a) Right-click on the "kitlogpro.exe" and select Properties.
b) Select the "Compatibility" tab.
c) Select "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3".
d) Select "Run this program as administrator"

6) Start Kitlog and click on the Register button at the bottom of the main dialog and enter in your previous registration information as necessary:

(registration details omitted for obvious reasons)

7) Close Kitlog.

8) If migrating from an old computer installation, close Kitlog, and then copy the following file from your OLD computer to the NEW computer:

c:\Program Files\aeroware\Kitlog Pro v2.0\kitlog.mdb

9) Start Kitlog on the NEW computer and you should find all of your log entries from the OLD computer.

10) Under Windows 7/8, make sure that you are always logged in as Administrator when you use Kitlog.

11) Windows 7/8 Only - Download this file and put it in the C:\Windows folder:

http://www.kitlog.com/dls/winhlp32.exe <== Download to "C:\Windows" folder

(The default Windows 7/8 installation doesn't have the legacy Windows Help Utility WinHlp32.exe installed. This utility is no longer bundled with Vista and later versions of the Windows OS.)

12) Windows 7/8 Only - Turn off User Access Control (UAC) in Windows 7/8. To do this:

a) ControlPanels->UserAccounts->ChangeUserAccountControlSettings
b) Click on the "ChangeUserAc****ControlSettings" hyperlink
c) Set the control to "Never Notify"

13) Download and run this update:

http://www.kitlog.com/dls/klsetup.exe

I hope that a KitLog database can be reconstructed from the Internet data since if dspender re-installed a newer version of KitLog, he may have overwritten his database with a blank one.

I hope that a KitLog database can be reconstructed from the Internet data since if dspender re-installed a newer version of KitLog, he may have overwritten his database with a blank one.

You can retrieve the raw data and cut and paste back into kitlog off the web, but to my knowledge there is no tool available to put the data back into the access db format.

Treat that mdb file like gold and make sure you have back up copies stored elsewhere.

I know it's a bit archaic, but I also printed copies of all my entries. It served dual purposes. I presented the printed copies to FSDO when I had my inspection. It was three five inch binders. It overwhelmed the gentleman from FSDO. He never before saw that level of detail in a build log. There wasn't much discussion about getting the repairmans cert, it was a no brainer at that point.

With any software, I make sure that files with personal data go under a common folder. For Windows, this would be some subfolder in the Documents folder. Then I make sure that the Documents folder gets backed up regularly onto a different physical device. I can then upgrade software or even recover from a complete disk crash and still have all my data intact at least to the last backup.

Even a program like KitLog, which defaults to a data file in the software directory, can be redirected to a different file and directory from the File menu. Just leaving it in the default file exposes the user to eventual corruption or loss of data.

That's why I keep a copies of my database outside the KitLog folder, one in my personal build folder on my hard drive, and a separate copy on a thumb drive. It takes about 30 seconds after each update to make the two copies (Save As...).

The ability to back up the file...

.. on your own computer (not the cloud) is, in my opinion, a great benefit of the Kitlog Pro system. However, you have to take care not to delete this file, for obvious reasons. Keeping a backup in another location on the computer, or on a flash drive is a good thing to do. I also keep a full-color hardcopy binder of my log, which I add to every so often. Worst case, If I lost my file backup, I would only lose a little bit of log, hard-copy-wise..

Well I have failed to do all of the things suggested on this thread. I have backed up all my posts onto the internet, which I can still view, up to this point. I am on the same computer, I just updated the Windows from 7 to 8.1. I moved the desktop icon to a thumb drive but when I try to place that back onto my desktop the error message I receive is the 'parameter is incorrect'. I did download another copy of kitlog pro from the internet and it indicates I have a 15 day free trial with it. When I enter new posts into it and save to the internet, they populate my build log on the internet. THis is my internet build site;
http://www.mykitlog.com/dspender/
I would like to store the information there to a more secure site, ie to thumb drive and or print. Any suggestions?
Also I am very upset that kitlog pro will not answer any of my voice messages or emails to their site. I have received no service from them.

Well I have failed to do all of the things suggested on this thread. I have backed up all my posts onto the internet, which I can still view, up to this point. I am on the same computer, I just updated the Windows from 7 to 8.1. I moved the desktop icon to a thumb drive but when I try to place that back onto my desktop the error message I receive is the 'parameter is incorrect'. I did download another copy of kitlog pro from the internet and it indicates I have a 15 day free trial with it. When I enter new posts into it and save to the internet, they populate my build log on the internet. THis is my internet build site;
http://www.mykitlog.com/dspender/
I would like to store the information there to a more secure site, ie to thumb drive and or print. Any suggestions?
Also I am very upset that kitlog pro will not answer any of my voice messages or emails to their site. I have received no service from them.

Please remember that many of the business owners that support the experimental community do so as a second job. Many have full time obligations that have to take priority. We don't generate enough income for them to turn their dreams into a full time reality.

In regards to Kitlog, I can tell you that Matt tends to answer his email on a weekly basis. Friend him on FB if you a quicker response. I can also share with you that he did his first flight in his RV-8 yesterday, so he's been pre-occupied with those preparations as well.

In today's world, everyone expects instant responses from vendors. I know that's it can be frustrating at times. We just have to find that middle ground that makes everyone happy.

When you talk about data, are you referring to storing the MDB file elsewhere or are you looking to save data off the web?

Thank you for the guidance regarding my patience. I know I need to exercise more patience. I can appreciate the excitement of his first flight and I suspect I too will be preoccupied at that point. I have been sending emails and phone messages for over a week with no response. Once I realized all my records are on the web only, I began to worry. I can still post to that site with my newly downloaded Kitlog Pro app. It keeps prompting me to register it and I suspect pay another $49.95. On my computer I can only see those postings I have made in the past few days; none of the others over the past two years show up. I am not facile with the mdb file concept. What I desire is to be assured my internet files will not disappear or be corrupted. Better yet, per advisement of those posts to my thread, I would like a hard copy(thumb drive) to store at home. Is there some way I can download to a thumb drive those files on my website? Those files include text and photos which I don't want to lose.

Dennis,

You aren't going to like my message. The solution is entirely under your control and you don't needs Matt's assistance at all.

There have been many other threads that should be available via search that discuss similiar situations. There is no easy way to recover your data from the mykitlog web site. Matt hosts our builds logs for free and hasn't built an utility program to retrieve the data and import it back into a mdb format. Which by the way, is a Microsoft Access database.

You don't have to pay for another program. You just have to re-enter your existing license key / serial number. You do have to exactly match your name that was used on the initial registration or it won't work. I've done this many times myself.

You can recover your data, but it's going to be painful. I would assume you still have local copies of all your photos. If you don't, right click and "save as" should work, then re-import. Then you have to manually cut and paste the text, one entry at a time.

I bet that once you've done this, you will keep a copy of the mdb file in a safe place and ensure that backup copies are made regularly.

Bob

Thank you for the time you have taken and the suggestions. I will need my IT person to help me do this, if we are able to. Right now I have only lost the ability to see the construction log on my newly downloaded copy of the software. I can still view and add to my construction log on my website. I am going to ask if there is a way to 'open up' or save the postings that are on the web to a more tangible file I can hold onto. There may not be. I would still like to speak with Matt.

Files on hard drives are not deleted or overwritten (technically speaking).

Find a quality Un-Delete/File Restore program and you might be able to locate the MDB that was visible on your hard drive prior to installing the new application.

Once that area of the drive is overwritten a couple times, the data will be gone forever. This is why drive cleaner programs overwrite each bit on the disk as many as 7 times to really really make data unrecoverable.

database file

I believe your old database file still exists. As I recall, I had to move that file from the old directory for KitLog 1.7 to the new directory for 2.0 and I was in business.

Matt was very helpful with my questions and I'm sure he will respond when he gets caught up with his launch of his RV-8.

I had my IT guy, Duane Webster from Advanced Digital Solutions, look at my dilemma and he quickly remedied my dilemma. This is how he did it;

first search for the database file At c:\ kitlog.mdb you may find more than one
look for the largest one

Rename the kitlog.mdb in the c:\programfilesx86\aeroware\kitlogpro2.0\ to kitlog.old

copy kitlog.mdb from search to kitlogpro2.0 directory

open kitlog program
at the top left pulldown select database
Now onto my quickbuild wings which come tomorrow. That is my last structural build to complete. Plan to have them completed by Oshkosh, pick up my Aerotronics panel at Oshkosh and when I get home my Lycoming and MT 3 blade should waiting for me. You can see I am very happy right now

I was so excited we got this fixed, I forgot the most important element. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, many of which we used to remedy this obstacle. As before and always, thank you for your guidance.

Kit log is working well. I have recovered the data. Just realized within the software how to print each entry with the accompanying photos. Taking Bob's advice and printing each entry and producing a construction notebook. Should be a valuable resource during inspection and if I ever sell the project.

Can anyone please help me and tell me how to change the appearance of my Kitlog site? Thanks.

Can anyone please help me and tell me how to change the appearance of my Kitlog site? Thanks.

Jan,

This is something you do online, if I recall. You basically go to the Kitlog Pro Main Website page, then you log on, and it gives you options to change the appearance of your particular page (i.e. background color, introductory page text, homepage picture, etc.). If in doubt, or need help with this, I'd shoot an email to Matt Draille. It may take a while to get a response, but he will respond..

Back