What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon ADAHRS Position in a 7

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone tried another position than the normal behind the luggage bulkhead, with success?

Thinking of beneath the floor on the fuselage bottom skin, but FWD of the seat hinges. Or inside the wing on the bottom skin, close and just AFT of the inboard inspection panel.
Thanks.

Are you talking about for their SkyView system?

I would think there is too much metal close by, if you mount it under the seat.

Someone mouned it in the wing root but I don't recall how it worked out.

Mount it aft of the baggage compartment and you won't have a problem. I had to drill up the floor boards, drill some holes to rout the pitot and AoA lines but it worked out just fine.

I wish Dynon would make little pressure sensors that can be mounted in the wings or behind the panel so you only have to connect their wires to the network!

Last edited:
I mounted mine behind the baggage Compartment near the center of the plane, on the floor. I made a platform for it to sit. Works good.:) 7A model, should be same for you.
Dave

In my 9A I mounted it in the inboard inspection port of my left wing. I placed it aft of the hole so I could work in there during inspections etc. Working great!

I had heard, but haven't confirmed, that the 14's are using this position. Anybody know this for sure?

Last edited:
Yes I am talking about skyview - sorry.
Mike - I like your position. Easier than the normal one and that area is magnetically "quiet". That is why I have asked. My only concern was that it might be slightly too far from the center. The Skyview manual states within 6ft laterally of the C of G. Just measured and the inboard panel on the wing is about 4ft away. So that agrees with your findings. I guess I will go that route then. :D

Hello,
I am building a RV7 and I have the same question. Do you have some photo showing you wing installation ? In advance thank you. Sylvain

I mounted mine up high but kinda wish I hadn't. Every time I open my sliding canopy, it changes my direction finder on the Dynon by 15 degress. I would suspect it is the ferrous metal in the canopy frame being just above. Really no big deal while taxi.
jpc7zs.jpg

I have done a panel rebuilt recently on an RV7. So that Is why I initially asked the question. Analog to Skyview.

I have opted to install the ADAHRS in the left wing bottom close to the fuselage as it was easy getting it in there as there is an inspection panel ? in a ?quiet? place I thought ? mistake. Again - as discussed here.
The Landing Light and Pitot Heat wires runs about 12 inches FWD of the unit, behind the spar. When switching on the Pitot or Landing Lights, I get a large compass swing. Nothing else seem to be affected.

Your expert advice please. I am thinking of covering the wires with a 75mm wide adhesive foil tape as a starting point.

I have also Asked Dynon, but thought to ask here as well.

I have done a panel rebuilt recently on an RV7. So that Is why I initially asked the question. Analog to Skyview.

I have opted to install the ADAHRS in the left wing bottom close to the fuselage as it was easy getting it in there as there is an inspection panel ? in a ?quiet? place I thought ? mistake. Again - as discussed here.
The Landing Light and Pitot Heat wires runs about 12 inches FWD of the unit, behind the spar. When switching on the Pitot or Landing Lights, I get a large compass swing. Nothing else seem to be affected.

Your expert advice please. I am thinking of covering the wires with a 75mm wide adhesive foil tape as a starting point.

I have also Asked Dynon, but thought to ask here as well.

If you are speaking of aluminum foil tape it won't do anything for magnetic fields.

Jan,
You cannot shield magnetic fields effectively. Anything that shielded the magnetism inside the shield would mess with the earth's field outside as well!

There's only one option that is viable, and that's moving the wires and ADAHRS apart from one another.

ADAHRS Moved

So yesterday I have made a tray and moved the ADAHRS to a tray behind the luggage bulkhead, like I have done before. It is working as expected - no interference.

New banner in workshop:

DO NOT LISTEN TO OTHERS AND DO WHAT YOU HAVE DONE BEFORE THAT HAS WORKED.

ADAHRS Units Installed Near Tail

Has anyone tried another position than the normal behind the luggage bulkhead, with success?

I built a removable tray holding my two ADAHRS units and installed it between the top longerons, just forward of the nacelle bulkhead. Both units can be accessed simply by removing the nacelle fairing. They are mounted in front of the already existing lightening holes. I use the SafeAir1.com quick-disconnects on the units, so removing the tray is quick and easy.

The only reason I did this, is to move my C.G. aft as much as possible since I have a heavier than normal engine. I also mounted my battery, strobe pack, ELT, and transponder behind the baggage bulkhead.

Have had no issues with the installation.

ADAHRS.jpg

Last edited:
Red String

Thank you Bob for the photo.

Hi Patrick, can you tell me where did you found the red String (stainless cable) ?

In advance thank you

Sylvain

Here is a picture of my installation. Note that the AA have their vertical webs back-to-back. This was intentional to reduce any vibration back there.
This picture was taken before I removed the ADHRS for the D100 and wired in the dual SkyView ADHRS.

2012-04-01_14-13-58_752.jpg

Hi Bill,

Any problem or compass variation with the seat belts cable (I notice you have the standarts one).

Sylvain

No problem with the cables and that was a concern but it turned out not to be an issue.

It is also fare enough away from the baggage compartment that tools, hunting rifles, and ammo that have been carried in the baggage compartment do not seem to impact it.

The biggest problem was riveting those the cross members in place and running the AoA & Pitot lines back there on an already flying airplane. I wish Dynon would sell pressure sensors that could be wired to their bus so I could put the AoA and Pitot sensors in the wing, the static pressure sensor in the tail, and mount the ADHRS where it doesn't need pressure lines running to it. (Are you listening Ian?)

Last edited:
I can confirm that the standard cables does not change the compass reading or anything else IF you have the ADHARS in the middle.

And if you have them offset slightly to install a -201 ADAHRS at a later date, you're looking at a 3* error from "no cable" to "cable draped over ADAHRS".

7829535542_261be82e28_z.jpg

Back