What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Still building...want to add wheel pants later?

Jackkclark

Well Known Member
If you have not attached the brakes and wheels yet and intend to add wheel pants at some point down the road, save yourself some time and trouble and order part U-0003 from Vans and install this when you install the wheels. OTHERWISE, you will have to jack up the wheel, remove that beautifully installed cotter pin, remove the axle nut, hold both bearings securely in the rim as you remove the wheel (trying to keep them from falling out and getting dirty...which will call for cleaning and repacking),
loosen those precisely torqued nuts and remove both break shoes and then remove the axle (right back to where you were before you installed the wheels.

Just add U-0003 NOW before you assemble all the above. Oh yes, you better replace those two cotter pins....so now spend 15 mintues trying to find the part number so you can order these parts. Maybe I am blind but I can't find it on page 35-4...which says install cotter pin. Nor can I find it in the MAPCO instructions.

Can anyone tell me the part number....OR, what material they are made of?

And lastly exactly how do you measure a cotter pin...I know GOOGLE IT!

Last edited:
Matco axle nut cotter pins

The wheels and brakes on the '12 are made by MATCO. If you go to their website and dig around at the misc. parts for "cotter pin", you will find a page showing two pins that are about .125 diameter and 2 inches long. The correct one is MSC.125X2COTTERPIN. It is a shiny zinc plated pin. It is $0.33 each. There is another one shown that is $.09. That one is somewhat different in diameter and it will go in the hole but is not as good a fit as the correct one.

Naturally, you should do your own homework and not rely totally on what you read here, it's just a starting point.

Last edited:
The wheels and brakes on the '12 are made by MATCO. If you go to their website and dig around at the misc. parts for "cotter pin", you will find a page showing two pins that are about .125 diameter and 2 inches long. The correct one is MSC.125X2COTTERPIN. It is a shiny zinc plated pin. It is $0.33 each. There is another one shown that is $.09. That one is somewhat different in diameter and it will go in the hole but is not as good a fit as the correct one.

Naturally, you should do your own homework and not rely totally on what you read here, it's just a starting point.

Thanks Tony, this is helpful. I called Matco to order the cotterpins without specifying the part number and lo and behold I got the wrong ones.

Now you tell me!

If you have not attached the brakes and wheels yet and intend to add wheel pants at some point down the road, save yourself some time and trouble and order part U-0003 from Vans and install this when you install the wheels. OTHERWISE, you will have to jack up the wheel, remove that beautifully installed cotter pin, remove the axle nut, hold both bearings securely in the rim as you remove the wheel (trying to keep them from falling out and getting dirty...which will call for cleaning and repacking),
loosen those precisely torqued nuts and remove both break shoes and then remove the axle (right back to where you were before you installed the wheels.

Just add U-0003 NOW before you assemble all the above. Oh yes, you better replace those two cotter pins....so now spend 15 mintues trying to find the part number so you can order these parts. Maybe I am blind but I can't find it on page 35-4...which says install cotter pin. Nor can I find it in the MAPCO instructions.

Can anyone tell me the part number....OR, what material they are made of?

And lastly exactly how do you measure a cotter pin...I know GOOGLE IT!

Thats thinking ahead....which i failed to do!

Info supplied by Matco:

Jack,

The part number for the cotter pin on the axle nut is the MSC.11x2COTTERPIN. It is on our website at:

http://www.matcomfg.com/COTTERPINZP-idv-3813-35.html

It is steel and is clear zinc plated.

The same size steel pin (7/32) from other sources would work fine.

The wheel on the RV-12 is the MHMHE51B. The axle assembly is the WHLAXLE3A. They are on our website at:

http://www.matcomfg.com/MHE51BESERIES125TRB-idv-2354-30.html

http://www.matcomfg.com/AXLEASSEMBLYA3A-idv-2537-1.html

Both links provide additional details.

Thank you,

George R Happ
MATCO mfg
801-335-0582 801-335-0581 (F)
www.matcomfg.com

Plan ahead - order extras

Seems to me that ordering half a dozen or more would make sense.

I know I'll order a supply just to have them on hand.

Back