What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric fuel pump chatter

dougknight

Well Known Member
I just got the wings bolted on for the final time at the hanger the other day, Wired up lights and hooked up fuel lines :) . Went to the FBO and bought 5 gals of gas thinking I would One, see if the tank holds without leaks and two, purge the line and make sure none of the fittings leaked. When I hit the switch for the boost pump...wow what a chatter :eek: ! I figure its just dry and will quiet down once it gets full of fuel, but I keep trying and its really obnoxious. It's a Facet purchased from van's. Do I need to prime the lines, gascolator and boost pump first? I haven't opend any fittings yet to see wether or not the thing is actually pulling fuel trying to prime in fear of making a mess. Do these things always make that much noise? Will it quiet down once it gets full of fuel? Are there better/quieter brands available and if so any recomendations? I really don't want to rebuild fuel lines to fit a new/different pump in at this point unless I have to.
On a good note, No leaks in the left tank.....at least with 5 gals. :D

Facet fuel pumps do make quite a racket when they are dry. The racket subsides slightly when fuel gets to the pump.

Scarred the bejeebers out of me the first time I turned it on too!! Sounded like a little guy with a ball peen hammer was banging on my forward fuselage.....it did get quieter with fuel in it, but you'll still always know that it's running!

Paul

Is it the aviation grade one or the little 'automotive' one?

Automotive:
40108facet.jpg

Aviation:
476410facet.jpg

The Automotive ones are slightly noisier in my experience, but more importantly, I had one that in the failed mode, didn't bypass fully, causing a partial loss of power in a RV-6. I'd go for the more expensive, aviation one, because they are design to bypass. Also anything that says 'automotive' on the label won't make your passengers too happy if they notice it, the one in that particular -6 is mounted in the cabin by the pilots left leg... Either way, they're both noisy so that much is normal

Back