What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS spar doubler SB problem

samiamPA

Hi builders,

I hit a snag installing the HS spar doubler. It is normally incorporated into the kits now, but I have an older kit and it was recommended I incorporate it during this stage of the build to prevent going back later.

view

As you can see above, there are 2 rows of rivets in the doubler without clecos. The one on the right is for the new rib attach point. However, the row on the left would interfere with the rib as pictured below:

view

Any thoughts? I was thinking about countersinking the rivet row on the left so that it wouldn't interfere, even though the plans specify universal head.

I know this seems like a simple question, just wanted to get the collective wisdom of VAF! Thanks in advance.

G?day Mike,
I don?t think I would countersink those holes without checking with Van?s support. I suspect the answer would probably be that it?s not advisable. You had me worried because I?m at a similar stage in my build so I just popped out to the shed to check mine. With the ribs in place I just sat some rivets in the holes and there is enough clearance. (See pics below.) The distance between the centre lines of the two rows of holes on mine is 7/16? so I?m guessing if you have less than that you will have problems. But don?t feel disheartened. Those doublers that you see in my pics are my third go at getting it right! This part of the build has been very frustrating for me. This link will give you an idea of my problems http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=124814&highlight=spar+doubler&page=2

Cheers

Warbo

2ynnzb8.jpg

14bku1t.jpg

Back