What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport mixed use question

Don

Well Known Member
The airport where my 9A is based (KXSA) is looking for ways to make a few bucks. There has been a proposal to use some of the land around the airport to mix agricultural fertilizers. One pilot questioned if airborne by-products of the mixing might cause accelerated corrosion on our planes. Anyone have any thoughts...particularly thoughts based on science (everyone has an opinion<g>)? Are there any airports actually doing this already? There are several ag spray planes flying out of there but their products are already mixed as far as I can tell.

Yep

Fertilizers usually have some form of corrosives, nitrogen based. They do accelerate corrosion on aluminum and steel. I'm not very scientific but as an ex crop duster pilo I have seen first hand the results of airplanes being exposed to fertilizers. I caught a corroded control stick on an agcat and was glad I did not takeoff with it that day. Rinse often with clean water.

Bird

The airport where I base my -10 at KGDW (Gladwin MI) leases the land around the runway for AG purposes. I am not aware if they use fertilizer but I do not like that it attracts deer and other wildlife next to the runway.

The airport where I base my -10 at KGDW (Gladwin MI) leases the land around the runway for AG purposes. I am not aware if they use fertilizer but I do not like that it attracts deer and other wildlife next to the runway.

Different issue but I agree.

Ask them about their air emissions and EPA compliance, just the mention of EPA and their reaction to it will tell you whether or not they ever considered it.

It really depends on the type of fertilizer. Urea-based is very different from ammonia (anhydrous or aqueous), which is different from ammonium sulfate or nitrate. All have different corrosion potential.

The big issue with any particulate material handling is off-site migration of particulate. If they have proper enclosure and controls (e.g., baghouse) on the transfers of material, there should not be any off-site particulate or fallout. All states will have prohibitions against off-site fallout and visible emissions over a certain opacity.

Your state will have some sort of public involvement in their air permitting process (its a federal requirement). That's a good place to start. It is unlikely they will get permits from EPA - almost nobody does.

Also, if they handle enough anhydrous or high-concentration aqueous ammonia, they will need to file a Risk Management Plan with EPA, but it takes quite a large quantity to trigger RMP.

PM if you want more pointers.

TODR

Don,

I can't speak to the "fertilizer mixing" use of your airport real estate. I can say its in your best interest to help the airport find suitable revenue options. The alternative is one of three possible sad eventualities: (a) increase the rates for existing revenue generators such as hangars, fees, etc; (b) decrease services and reduce maintenance; (c) repurpose the airport all together.

My local airport was not able to negotiate when it came to revenue opportunities. They are now well down the "b" path with a failing AWOS system and nearly all of the instrument approach equipment is out of service.

From what I see, the largest problem at airports is a lack of airplanes. Every airport within shot of Denver has a hangar waiting list years deep....yet half the hangars are filled with cars, campers, industrial manufacturing etc. Charge those with no aircraft an "airport impact fee" for their lack of fuel purchases etc and the airport can make up some of the difference. Make that fee high enough to discourage such behavior and perhaps you get more actual aircraft at the airport....buying fuel, lunch etc.

Our municipal airports around here have clauses in the lease for airplanes only.

They are loosely enforced, until there is a waiting list for people with airplanes ... then the guys with cars, etc get booted.

It is not fair that guys with planes are on waiting lists for hangars filled up with things other than airplanes ... here, the non-aviators love it because the rent is comparatively super cheap, and it is pretty secure.

Back