Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2018, 02:42 PM

Off topic, but regarding MKII eyeballs....

Do you still need reading glasses? Or glasses of any kind?

May need something done this year, considering all options....
RV-4 O-360 FP (Sold)
Orlando, FL
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 PM

Default MK II Eyeballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmith51 View Post

I'm probably not the best one to offer advice since I was highly myopic all my life, so not all of the lens options were available to me. Because of this I was not a candidate for Multifocal lens implants, so I went with Single-Focus lens implants set for far distance in both eyes.

I now have 20/20 distant vision. I do need reading glasses for close up work, but I find that it's not an issue. For flying I have a pair of those stick-on readers on my sunglasses set perfectly for the RV-8's panel.

The website below (from the company who did my surgery) has a lot of good info on the whole process and the lens implant options offered.

http://www.pcli.com/treatment_for_ca...taract_surgery

Note that the FAA has different waiting periods before flying again after surgery: for Single-focus lenses (~ 3 weeks for proper healing) and Multifocal lenses (minimum of 3 months to allow for accommodation to the multi-focal lenses). My Ophthalmologist had no problem filling out the FAA form "Report of Eye Evaluation" attesting to my successful surgery, healing, and resulting vision. He cleared me for flying about 2.5 weeks after I had each eye done. At my next FAA physical, my AME accepted the FAA form "Report of Eye Evaluation" as completed by my Ophthalmologist.

See this AOPA article:

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-...racts-contacts

Not sure exactly how this would work with BasicMed.

Hope this helps.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 05-16-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Forum Peruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
I'm probably not the best one to offer advice since I was highly myopic all my life, so not all of the lens options were available to me. Because of this I was not a candidate for Multifocal lens implants, so I went with Single-Focus lens implants set for far distance in both eyes.

I now have 20/20 distant vision. I do need reading glasses for close up work, but I find that it's not an issue. For flying I have a pair of those stick-on readers on my sunglasses set perfectly for the RV-8's panel.

The website below (from the company who did my surgery) has a lot of good info on the whole process and the lens implant options offered.

http://www.pcli.com/treatment_for_ca...taract_surgery

Note that the FAA has different waiting periods before flying again after surgery: for Single-focus lenses (~ 3 weeks for proper healing) and Multifocal lenses (minimum of 3 months to allow for accommodation to the multi-focal lenses). My Ophthalmologist had no problem filling out the FAA form "Report of Eye Evaluation" attesting to my successful surgery, healing, and resulting vision. He cleared me for flying about 2.5 weeks after I had each eye done. At my next FAA physical, my AME accepted the FAA form "Report of Eye Evaluation" as completed by my Ophthalmologist.

See this AOPA article:

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-...racts-contacts

Not sure exactly how this would work with BasicMed.

Hope this helps.
Good description, Carl. My logic and results were the same as your experience. After wearing glasses for nearsightedness since age 12, I now have 20/20 distant vision and wear reading glasses when I need them. My optometrist surprisingly didn't try to sell me readers; he just told me to pick up a pair of $9.95 readers at the local big store. Clear vision after surgery is one benefit of getting old.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmith51 View Post

If you are just now getting to the age where you need help with reading/close vision but don't otherwise need distance vision correction--and if you are flying under BasicMed--you might consider a "monovision" solution where one eye is used for distance and the other eye is used for reading. Although this is not acceptable for first-, second-, and third-class medicals, I was pleasantly surprised to see it approved (per primary care physician's concurrence) on the BasicMed application. I hate to wear regular glasses, and since my distance vision is good, I just use a contact for reading in one eye. LASIK on just one eye for reading is commonly done as well and would potentially be an even better solution. Google "monovision" and you'll see what it's all about.

Good luck.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019
Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Pet Peeve

Bottom line here is that most won't read the entire thing.

My pet peeve is the popular, "any other traffic please advise." Don't know where or how this started. It is annoying!!! Highlighted in this Circular.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 05-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Default Use All the Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbruce View Post
You can quote rules all day, argue procedures and right-of-way situations until you turn blue (i.e. No one is listening anymore). You really HAVE to be heads up, situationally aware and courteous. Slow down in the pattern and just try to enjoy the pollen in your eyes while your burning that expensive Avgas or Jet A.
This says it all, and don’t think your ADSB is going to give you the full picture because that NORDO dosen’t have a transponder. Head up and on a swivel. Provide your reports clear and concise.