Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-13-2015, 11:10 PM

Default RV-6 Engine change

Hi all,

I'm new to the group and just purchased an RV-6 with an O-320E2D. I plan to change it to an O-360 fixed pitch and am curious as to some of the details of what I will need to change. Is it the same engine mount/baffling? Differences in accessories? What model O-360 works best? Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 12-14-2015, 12:05 AM

Engine is 1.5" wider. Carb & filter assembly hang down about 1" lower. So cowling may have to be changed out or modified. A new 360 baffle kit is easier than trying to rework the 320 to fit. Exhaust may have to be modified or changed out. Spinner will have to be reworked or changed out. Air filter could be modified to work, but Vans has a filter box kit for the 360 engine. Starter & alternator should be interchangeable if both engines are same vintage. I would assume you would get proper mags with the new engine.
Above is assuming you are talking 180hp O-360 parallel valve and not a 200hp IO-360 angle valve which basically means replace everything.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:06 AM

Popcorn time! .........
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2018 Donation Plus, Gladly Sent
Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N710B View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the group and just purchased an RV-6 with an O-320E2D. I plan to change it to an O-360 fixed pitch and am curious as to some of the details of what I will need to change. Is it the same engine mount/baffling? Differences in accessories? What model O-360 works best? Thanks in advance.

Dave
Dave,
Welcome to VAF!

Unless the 320 has a hole in the case (or something else physically wrong with it), fly it the way it is for a while. The 320 is a fine engine, and might surprise you with the amount of performance it gives the 6. It also will go well past TBO time with normal care and regular oil changes. If you're just looking for more get-up-and-go, try a constant speed prop first. You'll get more performance for less money (and hassle) than a complete engine swap.

(Is it just me, or is the popcorn extra tasty this morning? )
VAF #136
N424LZ Reserved
Old 12-14-2015, 06:07 AM

Default o-320 E2D

Unless I have been misled, the E2D is a solid crank so it can't be converted to a constant speed.
Dues Paid
Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the responses. That is what I was afraid of. Someone mentioned that it shouldn't be a difficult change, but kinda thought that might not be the case. I bought it with a timed out engine, planning on overhauling it when it started going downhill. From the sounds of it I'll just go with the high compression pistons. I'm really happy with the performance in every aspect, other than takeoff from a higher elevation grass strip. Guess I could switch from the cruise prop as well.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 AM

The Titan stroker crank is a ~$4k option to add 20 hp to an O-320. Might be worth considering if you're looking for more power.
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 12-16-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:55 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by N710B View Post
Thanks for the responses. That is what I was afraid of. Someone mentioned that it shouldn't be a difficult change, but kinda thought that might not be the case. I bought it with a timed out engine, planning on overhauling it when it started going downhill. From the sounds of it I'll just go with the high compression pistons. I'm really happy with the performance in every aspect, other than takeoff from a higher elevation grass strip. Guess I could switch from the cruise prop as well.
My E2D has a hollow crank but the case isn't machined for a governor.

If your engine is still 150hp, a change to the 160 cylinders will provide a nice boost. Leaving the prop as-is will give you a climb prop. A 160 with a 150 prop is an excellent climber and still has pretty good cruise performance.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:15 AM

Default O-340

A 'stroker' O-340 with the Titan crankshaft should be a direct replacement for your O-320, same size and weight, but with O-360 power (180hp). That's what I intend to replace my O-320 with one day (hopefully in the very, very distant future).

-jon
Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 AM

Thumbs up O320

I have an O320 E2D 150 hp in my RV-4. I have owned my RV-4 since 2009 an my engine works like a top; knock on wood.

Unless you really have to, I'd run the O320.

Just my opinion of course. Whatever you decide hope it works out for you.
Canada
Dues paid for 2018