What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SnF 2011; Let The Count Down Begin!

Geico266

Well Known Member
Most of the country is under a blizzard warning for the next few days. Wind chills here are going to be -25f. The NE has gotten hammered by snow storm after snow storm with parts under 24" of snow and more on the way. At one time this month all but 1 state had snow on the ground. It's been a long winter and it ain't over yet.

SnF is only 2 1/2 months away! Time to start dreaming of warm weather and warm places to fly to!

The Blue Angels will be performing along with many, many great air show performers!

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/ Be there!

Well, I can dream can't I? :rolleyes:

SNF

Larry,

Are you flying to SNF? I am ready along with 2 of my buddies. You planning to stay for the whole show?

DEAN

My son and I will be flying there in the RV. This will be our 12th straight SNF and fifth year flying there. This year is extra good because our spring breaks coincide with SNF. I will be on break from the college where I teach and Bruce has his break from the stress and mental burdens of 9th grade. :confused:

Can't wait....

We'll be there !

6 of us coming across from Blighty - by Virgin, sadly not by RV this year.

Tried last year and was thwarted by Eyjafjallaj?kull and yes, I can pronounce it !

If you see some rowdy Brits from time to time, say hello, offer us a beer, you know, that fine American hospitality :D

There are 5 or 6 of us coming from Sturgate, in Blighty, too!

We will be with the Mallard crew or drooling over the Rockets

Mark T

You think your are ready, here's the picture I just took out my office window, this is BEFORE the blizzard that is supposed to come this afternoon!

Sun N Fun Here I Come!

j9nic8.jpg

SNF

I'm ready...oh doh... I don't have my motor yet, but I'll still be parkin' in Homebuilt tho", so stop by and say hello...:D

sittinginrightseat.jpg

Can't wait. I put in for the vacation time right after SnF ended last year. Going to be there the entire week this go around. I can't believe that I lived in Orlando for five years and never went. I hope to take some of the classes this year. My wife will be happy with that as the more time I spend in class, the less $$$ I will spend!

We'll be there..

...for a day at least.....look me up:
Newstripe.jpg

N777SW: Cell...four seven eight 494 3 seven 5 seven

Best,

I'll be there with the team

I promised myself that I wouldn't go to Sun-n-Fun again until Team RV was included in the air show. In previous years we have only done formation fly-bys, boring! Well, we are back as a featured act in the air show. Be there on Wednesday, March 30th and catch our show. A preview video is on our web site at teamrv.us

Kinda sorta..Dan.

...planned for the 26th of March, Dan. I'll let everyone know pretty soon.

This way it'll be on the way for a few folk.

Best,

Heading North

Very few VAF'ers have to head North the get to Sun n Fun but I will be one of them. I bet I can hitch a ride with Florida Mike who took some formation training a few months ago with Smokey so I bet it will be Weds. to catch Team RV.

77 and sunny here yesterday but I only got in 9 holes..... getting cold tonight though, down to 59 tonight and 74 tomorrow. Sorry, just had to let the "Northerners" know what they are missing.

..... getting cold tonight though, down to 59 tonight and 74 tomorrow. Sorry, just had to let the "Northerners" know what they are missing.

Maybe the local home prices will recover sooner than we thought...

Gary,
Wednesday sounds good. It would be better as a two-ship though. Get back to work!

Very few VAF'ers have to head North the get to Sun n Fun but I will be one of them. I bet I can hitch a ride with Florida Mike who took some formation training a few months ago with Smokey so I bet it will be Weds. to catch Team RV.

77 and sunny here yesterday but I only got in 9 holes..... getting cold tonight though, down to 59 tonight and 74 tomorrow. Sorry, just had to let the "Northerners" know what they are missing.

I'll be there too! I can't wait to get away from this weatherr in the NorthEast! We've had over 6' of that white stuff since Christmas!
L1020445.jpg

Actually Marshall...

..it'll be the Saturday before SnF. I've started working out the details...porta potties etc,:) Unless the majority of attendees would prefer the Saturday AFTER SnF??

Best,

Pierre -

Great,

We arrive on the 28th...........

That will so not be an invitation to one of our awesome BBQ's in Davenport during the show then.

Seriously.

We are all down there, can we organise a meet and greet at some point ?

We Brits usually do.

Can one of you Colonial chaps suggest a day and venue and time and we may all be able to meet up and realise just how old and ugly we all are.

Oh - and beer MUST be involved :D

Would be really fantastic to meet some of you chaps who have given good info on the boards.

If we can get the real Doug down - well...... Hurrah !

Flying to Sun & Fun via east coast

I've been to Sun & Fun numerous times. I've flown down as a passenger probably 20 years ago. This year we are working on a plan to fly our new RV-10 down. We have no experience flying in the US other than Maine. We actually flew the RV to Portland, Me. last fall just to check out the customes procedures. My RV partner was flying and he wanted to be put thru the paces. Well, he got what he asked for, by coincedence four officers were at our sides. They said they were going to give us a thorough going over. There were four of us and we all laughed and told them what my partner was looking for. Wasn't long and the officers knew we were just out for fun. I think the fact that we were only going to be in Portland or the US for a half an hr was suspect.
Anyone looking for company on the way down the east coast? Any tips on flying down the east coast would be helpfull.
Ron

..it'll be the Saturday before SnF. I've started working out the details...porta potties etc,:) Unless the majority of attendees would prefer the Saturday AFTER SnF??

Best,
Put me and one more down Pierre. I am looking forward to meeting you.

We only made it as far as Hilton Head SC. We rented a car and drove 5 hrs. We spent wed. doing what we needed, good thing as Thursday was a bust. We had other plans for Friday, and due to weather again, we decided to start our return trip home on Sat. Had to wait out some scud in Portland ME , until Sunday morning. We were all glad to see the snow once again, mind you it's better than a tornado.
Ron

We only made it as far as Hilton Head SC. We rented a car and drove 5 hrs....

For me the trip both ways was the best part. Friday morning was 1.8 block to block from Wetumpka, 354nm plus the detour for the LP approach. Winds at 9500 were 50+ from 270. And I nailed that green dot ;)

Even got a 10kt tailwind going home, although it required bumping along at 2500 feet.

REALLY Nice Plane!

For me the trip both ways was the best part. Friday morning was 1.8 block to block from Wetumpka, 354nm plus the detour for the LP approach. Winds at 9500 were 50+ from 270. And I nailed that green dot ;)

Even got a 10kt tailwind going home, although it required bumping along at 2500 feet.

Only got to see Dan's plane for a few minutes but that is ONE REALLY NICE RV8!

Unassuming, unpretentious. Just nice.

With some really cool "mods" as well. :)

And there I was ... trying to pass on a tip to someone who is obviously a master builder and I later find out is major aircraft judge! Duhhhhhh .....
(Dan I am still removing foot from mouth. :) )

James

After Action

This was only my second SnF. Obviously, the storm has gotten all the attention, and my heart goes out to everyone who suffered injury or loss. But it wasn?t all gloom and doom - not nearly - and I wouldn?t want to be lax in failing to thank several people whom I had the pleasure of meeting and dealing with, who for me made the show a success in spite of the circumstances.

Mike Seager ? I finally got that first RV ride with him on Wednesday in his -7. He deposited me directly on Cloud 9 (hmmmmm, not a bad name for the RV-9 I plan to build). I may look composed on the outside, but inside I?m dancing around, fist pumping, going ?YESSSSSS!? What a sweet flying airplane! Thank you for the intro Mike. Believe me, it had the desired (and expected) effect. My face still hurts.

Gus Funnell and Scott Risan ? Enjoyed meeting you and thank you both for graciously fielding (i.e., putting up with) all my rookie questions you no doubt have encountered thousands of times before.

Advice to anyone who cares to receive it?never walk up to the E-Mag booth and say to a chap named Dement, ?Suppose I just arrived on this planet and know nothing. Give me the rundown on why I?d want P-Mags.? I spent the next 15 minutes drinking from the fire hose, so to speak. Wow?gotta be careful what you ask for. <G> Thank you!

Also to all the crews at iCom, Lockwood, ECI, Jo at Clarity Aloft, and so many others. Many thanks one and all.

Goal: The build starts this year.

Back