What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Struts

pdebellis

I'm New Here
Guys:

I've got a door strut that dying....I'd like to replace both with a little stronger
ones. Van's has their standard R-10 door strut. But I find after adding the interior, the existing struts don't have the right umph!

Has anyone used a different strut with more lifting force. Any recommendation?
web links....part numbers....comments.

Peter DeBellis

I broke one of the plastic end pieces, tried to "Google" it, and actually found the manufacture-------sorry I dont still have the info. There is a name/part number on the strut, and/or end piece.

Made in Germany, IIRC, but was directed to a local vendor in the USofA.

The end pieces will unscrew from the body, I would suggest you concentrate on finding the correct strut for your needs, and switch the ends if needed, as I am pretty sure the ends have been modified by Vans.

Good luck.

The other day I was in a West Marine and they had struts that looked identical to what is holds my canopy open. You might want to check with them.

Struts

Reillys Auto Parts sells them...........used in trunks of cars and JEEP tailgates. Also the tool boxes in the pickup beds have these struts.........your Farm and Home places sell them. Did a search online a year ago and found several sites..........try LIFT STRUTS search. They have several lengths and sizes and varying COMPRESSION. Caution: IF you get one with too much compression it can and will bend your door hinges........stress the rivets on the plate also.

Dean

Last edited:
Check NAPA auto parts. Even on line..

Place a board on your bathroom scale and compress the strut (to about 75%) on the scale and read the scale. That is the lifting force for that strut. The go shopping...........

Problem I found with local struts, was the end fitting didnt work.

The unit Vans supplies has ends that unscrew from the body-----if you can find the correct strut, (length/force) but different end, you may be able to change the end fittings.

I am not sure, but it looks like Vans may have actually modified the end fitting from what the manufacture had.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

Back