What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Partnerships and Repairman Certificate

campi

Well Known Member
I'm considering joining another person in a partnership to build an RV-8A. Can only one person legally obtain the repairman certificate, or are both partners eligible to get the certificate? This kit is a quickbuild. To complicate matters, the empenage is already completed, and some of the work on the fuselage has already been done. Thanks.

Fernando
RV Dreamer
Washington, DC

Repairman Certificate

My Dad and I are building a -10. The question is, can we both apply for the repairman cert. for that specific aircraft, or can only the person named on the airworthiness cert. be issued the certificate?
Bill

Don't overthink the 51% rule

I'm considering joining another person in a partnership to build an RV-8A. Can only one person legally obtain the repairman certificate, or are both partners eligible to get the certificate? This kit is a quickbuild. To complicate matters, the empenage is already completed, and some of the work on the fuselage has already been done. Thanks.

Fernando
RV Dreamer
Washington, DC

Fernando, that doesn't complicate matters at all. As long as the spirit of the rule (51% rule) is maintained. Many airplanes have been built by multiple partners and still qualify.

What's frowned on are professional builders building complete airplanes for pay.

Best,

The holder of the repairman's certificate doesn't have to be the same one listed on the airworthiness certificate.

Absolutely correct! The "one certificate" I was referring to was the Repairman's Certificate, not the Airworthiness Certificate.

Pierre, you were had. Looks like a moderator grafted two threads together and you answered a 4-year old post. I doubt Fernando is still questioning this. This is the craziest form of thread-necromorphing I've seen on a forum but I think it actually kind of works. But it behooves us as readers to be aware and read the posting dates lest we fall into the time warp. :rolleyes:

Repairman Certificate

Bill,

I know of one case where two people built an aircraft and one received the repairman certificate.

A few years later the partner with the repairman certificate sold out his half of the aircraft to the other partner (who now had an aircraft that he built, but couldn't sign off on the condition inspection).

After a long period of discussions with the FAA FSDO office, the old repairman certificate was allowed to be surrendered, and the remaining partner in the aircraft was allowed to request and receive the repairman certificate.

So, don't be too concerned that only one partner in a project may initially receive the repairman certificate. If circumstances change, it may be possible for the remaining partner to request/receive the sole repairman certificate for an aircraft.

That makes sense.
What does not make sense is only one certificate for two builders. But this is the FAA, and many things they do don't make sense some times!
Bill

Hi Bill!

It might be worth it to ask someone at your FSDO directly. They'll be the ones to make the decision. FSDO's interpereting the FAR's are like churches interpereting the Bible-- They all have their own ideas. :rolleyes:

Yep-- Going out to work on the planes today if we can get our lazy butts off the couch!! Ben is looking forward to a ride in your -10. At the rate you're going, it will fly long before his -8! :p

Back