What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passenger Door Lock

blahphish

Well Known Member
What are some solutions people are using for locking the passenger side door that does not involve installing a keyed lock on the passenger side? I searched but couldnt find any specifics. I'm sure there have been some clever ideas so I thought I would fish around before I re-invented the wheel.

My no cost method

I drilled a 1/16" hole down through the end of the inner handle, where the push to open tab sticks out the side, then drop in a pin I made from some .090" hinge pin. This locks the push tab in place.

Simple, easy, lightweight, and just used shop materials I already had laying around.

The locking pin has a big circular end, easy to grab. Looks like the pin from a fire extinguisher, or a hand grenade.

I just have a 1/8" piece of alum. that I drilled a small hole in it. The alum. slides in the square tube of the door handle behind the latch bar lock and prevents the bar/outside pin from moving thus locking the door. The hole is for a small rod with a flag on it that is visible from the outside to notify the person that the door is locked and not try to force the door.
Ron

I did what Mike did, I drilled a small hole in the lock release tab that protrudes from the handle and use a retainer pin that I picked up at Lowes. This prevents the handle from operating.

Central locking

Call it what you want, but I have actually built a central locking system.
So a little remote on my keyholder - press the button and you hear "clack" as the pins lock both doors :)
Note: not to be used while flying

Back