What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Aft Skirt Template

Swifty

Is there a template that gets you in the ball park? I did not see anything in the drawings, maybe I missed it. Just want to make sure before I start off on my own. Thanks

Dave

Rear skirt

There is a big piece of aluminum in the kit with the skirt marked off for cutting. I didn't do aluminum so I don't know if it's close.

There is a big piece of aluminum in the kit with the skirt marked off for cutting. I didn't do aluminum so I don't know if it's close.

Ahh....Did not even notice the markings! Thanks for the talk on, Larry. I'm a couple of hours south of you in Monument, CO. Guess I should update my profile.

Dave

Ahh....Did not even notice the markings! Thanks for the talk on, Larry. I'm a couple of hours south of you in Monument, CO. Guess I should update my profile.

Dave

Do NOT use the marking on the aluminum. On mine it wasn't even close. Just think of it as describing the end purpose, not the actual shape.

On mine I used a paper template to get sort of close, then cut a 1/16" (or 1/32") thick piece of plexiglas sheet to make the real template. You can see through the plexiglas to drill the holes through the canopy into the canopy frame. Make sure you bend AND twist the template to shape as you curve around the fuselage skin. Then mark and trim the outline of the plexiglas to the shape and overlap you want. Finally use the template to mark the aluminum sheet (after removing the Vans marking)

Dave

Dave
You might consider a one piece fiberglass skirt. Love how mine turned out and it wasn't difficult. Come up and check it out sometime.
By the way, I manage a Google Group, Colorado RVs. 50 members. If you would like to joinn shoot me an e-mail from a Gmail account and include a few items of info.
Full Name
City
Phone #
RV Model
Happy to add another.

Back