What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque for Van's flop tube to AN833 fitting?

spaceflightmeow

I am trying to attach the fuel tank flop tube to the AN833-6D bulkhead fitting by torqueing piece 1 in the picture (I think this is called an AN818 nut). I have found various torque recommendations:

AC 43-13.1b (and Van's SB06-2-23 step 17 for flop tube)
* 110-130 in-lb for AN818 nut on aluminum-alloy tubing.

FAA 8083
* 75-125 in-lb for Aluminum Nut
* 300-480 in-lb for MS28740 or equivalent End Fitting (not sure what that is)

XRP catalog (the parts Van's used for the flop tube say XRP on them)
* 110-125 in-lb for AN818 nut and aluminum flared tubing
* 210-250 in-lb for hose coupling nuts (is that what I have? Is that piece #1 in the picture?)

For choosing the correct torque, is the flop tube piece (nipple+nut) called a "hose coupling nut", "MS28740 or equivalent end fitting" or a "flared aluminum tube"? What is the correct torque? :confused:

Sources for torque values below:
GETWQPO.png

Dmitry, TIGHTEN it down, then safety it. We see alot of builders get hung up on torques spec for this fitting or that fitting. We use the flats method, and the 2 stubby wrench method. Frankly, there ARE some places where you cant get a torque wrench OR adapters, or a homegrown concoction of extensions, swivels, crowsfeet, lucky charms, or voodoo dolls to torque a fitting. Ask me how I know. Some of you F1 guys know what I'm talking about.

Tom

OK, how many flats? At least this is a machined fitting, so I don't have to worry as much about the material yielding and failing (like the infamous 3003 soft tubing). But still, is 120 in-lbs, 2 flats, 6 mmmphs?

This is one more non-answer in a sea of non-answers. :/

Last edited:
Back