What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing skin gap 1/16"

spaceflightmeow

Wing skin gap 1/32"

Hi all,
I need some advice.

I clecoed the right wing skins onto the skeleton, clecoed the leading edge and tank on. I have gaps between the main and leading edge/tank skins. The gap varies along the length of the wing:
  • inboard, there is no gap on top or bottom side
  • middle, there is about 1/32" gap between the top main/tank skin and bottom main/tank skin.
  • outboard, there is about a 1/32" gap between the top main/leading edge skin and bottom main/leading edge skin.

I've already drilled the main skins to the spar and ribs.
I'm about to drill the leading edge skin to the spar flange. I will also remove the tank and drill/dimple the tank screw attach holes.

I tried removing and re-clecoing the leading edge and tank, the gap did not change. I also tried removing and re-clecoing the bottom skins, starting with clecos at the trailing edge and working forward towards the main spar to push the slack forward. That didn't seem to help.

Should I be concerned? Is it possible to close the gap at this point or should I wait until after dimpling to check this again? I figured that I would gain some slack once the main skins are dimpled.

Inboard main skin to tank skin, bottom side: 1/32"
wte6kgX.jpg

Link to photo: http://i.imgur.com/wte6kgX.jpg?2

Outboard main to tank skin, bottom side: no gap
DJWe5GF.jpg

DJWe5GF.jpg

It's been over 3 months since I've last touched this assembly, partly because of this.

Last edited:
Be thankful you have the opposite problem that I do :)

Mine on the outboard section actually is too tight. But perfectly fixable.

If you ever need to remove the tanks you'll be glad to have at least 0.032 clearance. I actually increased the gap on my Rocket just in case.

Back