VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM

Default RV-3 Pre Punched Kit

I've sent a message to Vans to consider a market survey to see if the investment in tooling to offer a pre punched kit would make sense.

If you are interested, do not hesitate to let them know.

I am presently a little bored, if there were such a kit I would go for it.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2018 This place is worth it!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:05 AM

This has been hashed out before, and I think the number of -3 kits sold per year can be counted on two hands. So, no, Van's is not interested.
I think your answer is spelled "Panther".
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....tail kit done, slow-build wing done, slow-build fuselage started.

Last edited by fl-mike : 12-29-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:11 AM

David,
Panther!

Check this out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pant...HVKhB88QsAQIPA
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection

Last edited by rockwoodrv9 : 12-29-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:17 AM

This is message sent to Vans

Greetings,

I am David Domeier, long time supported of your aircraft. I've built and flown the RV-7A and RV-8.

I really like the RV-3. But at my age 77 do not have the time or inclination to scratch build it.

Have you considered or have you done a market survey to see if the investment in tooling for a pre punched RV-3 kit makes economic sense?

If not, would you consider doing it?

I am active on the VAF forum, and would stir things up on this matter. There are over 12,000 readers there. This place could be a valid sounding board on the subject.

Obviously the overwhelming market share has to go to at least 2 seats, but there are a significant number of pilots who fly solo 98% of the time. A personal "single seat fighter" might have sufficient appeal to warrant developing a pre pre punched kit.

Thank you.

David Domeier
Chesterfield MO

(flying RV-8 weekly, solo, and enjoying it)

I will check out the Panther, but lets see what the response from Vans is. Maybe they are presently out of ideas and on al new model. A lot would depend on a marketing strategy.

Most anything will sell with good marketing, look at the stupid Apple watch...people are actually buying the most useless thing every invented.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
Old 12-29-2016, 10:55 AM

Default Pre punch RV3

Once you actually see Panther kit, you will forget you ever saw a -3 kit. I am in final stages (taxi testing) of RV 4, and have had privilege of helping on a panther kit, and it totally blew my mind compared to what I went thru on -4.In this day and age I cant picture anyone doing NON pre punched kit ,unless you just want work to keep you occupied...or are type that would scratch build for challenge...Tom
Old 12-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat RV4 View Post
....In this day and age I cant picture anyone doing NON pre punched kit ,unless you just want work to keep you occupied...or are type that would scratch build for challenge...Tom
Gotta agree. I'm building my -3B for exactly that challenge.

However, this isn't exactly scratch-building. The parts are pre-formed and many of them mostly fit. There are plans and other builders have done it. It only feels like scratch-building, especially compared to a pre-punched QB kit.

Dave
RV-3B, now on the fuselage
Old 12-29-2016, 12:14 PM

For me, it's partially about brand loyalty and performance. I'm very interested in the RV-3B. If it was offered in a pre-punched version or a quick-build option with the fuselage included I would be a buyer.

As an alternative, I have read everything I can find on the SPA Panther (Kit Planes....). The Panther looks good and is seemingly easy to build, but does it perform as good or better than the RV-3B?

The RV-3B comes with VAF for only $25.00 per year. Hard to beat that!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:29 PM

Van's probably has the same problem with designing a Pre-Punched RV-3 as the auto companies do with designing large and small pickup trucks. The development costs are the same for both but the margins are much better on the larger pickup. That's why none of them build "small" trucks any more.

I would have to believe the effort to develop, build, and test a pre-punched RV-3 would be the same as what Van's went through with the RV-14. IIRC, the RV-14 took years from the time it was announced (and they had one prototype flying when they made the announcement) until the last kit was offered for sale.

The market for a single place plane, even a pre-punched RV-3, is probably about 50 tail kits a year, and that is being very generous! Van's being in business to make money would probably put that effort towards something that would sell 100+ tail kits a year.

Not to mention the cost of a pre-punched RV-3 kit would be close to that of the RV-14 so they can recoup their engineering and development costs. In the end, it just doesn't seem like the ROI would be there on the -3.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-29-2016, 01:30 PM

Ah, you're probably right.
The reader response to message "RV-3 Pre Punch..."is not overwhelming.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
Old 12-29-2016, 01:38 PM

Default Much as I would like a pre-punched 3B kit...

...I don't see anything wrong with the current Vans model. 1) Less RV-3Bs built means that they are more coveted and hold a higher value, long term and 2) the Panther delivers a few benefits (quicker, easier build), but doesn't deliver on performance or cost, compared to the RV-3B. I think the way it is currently is perfect. Those who really desire a 3 (and who doesn't) are willing to work a little harder to get it, either building one or buying one. Vans is doing us all a great service by still offering the 3 and the 4 as options, IMHO.
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw

Last edited by ppilotmike : 12-29-2016 at 01:40 PM.