VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-31-2016, 08:40 PM

Default Why we build 3B's

From talking to most 3 builders and searching my own thoughts I am convinced that we take on the challenge of building a 3B because we love to build. I have enjoyed all of it. It is not the correct kit for a novice builder. I have restored cars, boats, airplanes and more. The 3 is diffiicult at best. Getting close

Bob Grigsby
J3-65 flying
2016 dues plus
Old 01-01-2017, 10:31 AM

My first RV build was an RV-3A started in 1987 and flew in 1992. The A designation, for those who donít know, was to distinguish it from the original RV-3 which had a different rear spar attach design, not a nose wheel. I have often said that the kits back then were glorified materials packages. So much had to be fabricated from the raw stock included in the kit. All assemblies were jigged for alignment. Every dang hole had to be laid out. Every skin trimmed to size. The builder had to do allot. But it was the state of the art in homebuilt kits at the time and I was glad to have anything prefabbed at all. The instructions and plans, by todayís standards, were basic, but they were obviously sufficient to get the job done. You wanted to build an RV-3? This is what you had to go through. And I did it happily for 1,600 glorious man hours to get the best flying airplane I had/have ever flown. Yes, I said it. I have flown all of the RV models except the -4 as PIC and the 3 is still my favorite.
Last year I finished an RV-14A from a standard kit. Another 1,600 glorious man hours. Easier build. Better fit and finish. Took the same amount of time. There are fewer folks who want the challenge of building a 3 or 4 and it is a challenge. But the reward is there. Paul and Louise? What say you?
Old 09-16-2018, 12:44 AM

Mitchell, Van had the staff build an RV3 several years ago. It had no charging system, but did have an electric start only.....

What has happened to this RV3?
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 09-16-2018, 05:14 AM

I have been pretty close to what has been going on at Van's Aircraft for about 20 years now. I don't recall the staff building an RV-3 ever. I could be wrong I suppose but I don't know why that would have been done. Couldn't be used as a demo aircraft so not sure what the point would be. I'll check when I get back in Monday and get back.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:41 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

A thread resurrrection!

When we were building our -3, it was amusing to chat with the Van’s Tecj support folks. Ken Scott was always brutally honest....”No one here has ever built one, except Van, and that’s was so long ago, he doesn’t rememebr any of the details! So no - I can;t answer your question....”

Like Mitch, I think I’d have heard if the factory guys built one in the past decade, and nope - nothing.

Nice to know I still have Mitch beat by least one model number. Oh, and that reminds me that I need to check with Rian and see how the -5 restoration is coming.....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-17-2018, 11:15 AM

A thread resurrection on this topic, cool!

I'll weigh in here on building a -3B with a perspective that hasn't been mentioned yet. If you've built an RV before, as the original poster has based on his sig, then the lack of prepunching on the -3B isn't a big thing, especially if you do the QB wings. Here's why: the plane is so small that without the wings to do the remaining fuselage and empennage parts the builder needs to do are really a piece of cake if you know what you're doing. I actually found it enjoyable.

As Gus has so eloquently written above, and now with some experience in aircraft development (CubCrafters), developing a prepunch version of the -3 would never make any economic sense at all.
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold 2004

Last edited by randylervold : 09-18-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Oh, and that reminds me that I need to check with Rian and see how the -5 restoration is coming.....
Shhhhh!!!

Opinions, information and comments posted by me are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not represent direction/opinions of my employer.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Flying spam can, helped build/fly a few RV-12s and some other RVs
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 09-23-2018, 11:26 PM

Default Economic Sense

Why does everything need to make sense. If I did only what made economic sense I would have been a plumber and certainly not had the experiences in my life that I did.

My -3 is a blast to fly. Every pilot should have one in their lifetime.

RV-3 restored - learning to land
Stearman - building - near 1st flight
L3 converting/building ribs
Helio Courier constructing
C-170A my trainer - sold
Kitchen - remodeling/done
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU Mark View Post
Why does everything need to make sense. If I did only what made economic sense I would have been a plumber and certainly not had the experiences in my life that I did.

My -3 is a blast to fly. Every pilot should have one in their lifetime.
I agree it doesnít have to make sense for the consumer - but it sure does for the business!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-24-2018, 11:46 AM

I asked Van if Van's Aircraft has ever built an RV-3. Apparently there was one back in the early 90's. It was never used for any purpose outside of the factory. It had a very short useful life and was disassembled never to fly again. So much for urban legends.