What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Transition Training with BB

Smw1227

Friend
I am in the process of buying an RV8 and have been debating for weeks what I wanted to do for ?transition training?. I had friends suggest going up in a -6 or -7 tailwheel. Then had a couple suggest local instructors who could ?ride along? for my required insurance hours. Others said that some instructors have you sit in the back of the plane for your hours (what does that teach me right now since I won?t be flying it from the back?!?!). After reading other member?s reviews of flying with Bruce Bohannon, I decided to make the trip to Houston (where I?m originally from and still have family) and go spend a few days down in Angleton. Hands down this was the BEST decision I?ve ever made in flight training! I can?t speak highly enough of flying with Bruce. He?s a stick and rudder guy who will teach you how to be safe and also show you where the limits are. I came in with a tailwheel rating and not a lot of tailwheel time. I am far from ?good? at 3pt landings but I am not worried about them in the -8.

As others stated, there are some things that will probably rub you wrong if you have thin skin. He smokes (which he admits is horrible). He is opinionated about everything so don?t go in trying to ?prove? your point or your views. He has no politically correct or sensitivity filter. If you do a sh*t job or bounce one in, he?ll flat out tell you without sugar coating. If you go in thinking you?re just trying to check a box, you?ve wasted a GOLDEN opportunity to learn and better yourself as a pilot.

I went to Bruce with ZERO expectations or preconceived ideas. I wanted to soak up as much as I could. At one point we were on downwind during landing practice and he says ?I?m talking to you as if you are some student pilot? to which I replied ?Bruce I AM a student pilot! I may have Thousands of hours in my logbook but I?ve only got a small amount of tailwheel time so I AM a student!? If you approach it from that mentality and you are open to learning, you?ll take away 10x more in knowledge than what you paid for! How do you not learn from someone who?s set several world records and had 25 (that he can account for) engine failures in flight and dead sticked to a safe landing most of those. Once he was comfortable with my crappy (but safe) landings, we did some ?upset recovery? training. Again, how does anyone NOT find value in that since you?re purchasing (or building) a plane you?ll likely want or need that skill set. Most people can jump in a plane and throw the stick around, but I wanted to know how to do things 1) safely 2) correctly and 3) comfortably.

This isn?t to say you can?t find good instructors out there who can or will provide training but I wanted to share my experience to help others who might be facing the same decision I was. Safe flying to all!

Steve,
I think that?s one of the best post-training endorsements I?ve read. Congrats on the 8!

Bruce,
Well done, Sir.

shack

Spot on! Mine, there was a lot of laughing.... mainly at me! IMHO this profession/sport/hobby requires brutal honesty!

Perfect summary! I was there two years ago (yes I really thought I am finished way sooner but you know it 90% done 90% to go). I really learned a lot from him! He is just a honest, straight to the point guy. I was scheduled for another session this January but unfortunately I had to cancel. But I was not there for the last time as I am sure you can always learn with him.

I'm definitely looking forward to flying with Bruce...maybe around the end of this year if things go right. I've heard him speak about some of his racing adventures at a local EAA chapter and it was quite entertaining.

Steve,
I think that?s one of the best post-training endorsements I?ve read. Congrats on the 8!

Bruce,
Well done, Sir.

Bruce, I'm definitely planning on this year. The OSH refunds will help fund the transition training. Still hoping for first flight before the end of the year. I'll keep in touch; let me know how far in advance we should set dates.

Question. Is transition training a requirement over there guys? Something to do with insurance perhaps?

Question. Is transition training a requirement over there guys? Something to do with insurance perhaps?

Correct. My insurance wanted 10 hours due to the fact I had low tailwheel time. I could have gotten lower transition requirement but would have had to pay more for the policy. The 10 hours was money well spent though in my book and I would not hesitate to do it again.

I'm very glad you ultimately decided on Bruce. Congrats. Did you check the 12 bolts we also spoke about on the phone? Now you just have to get over and visit us !!

I'm very glad you ultimately decided on Bruce. Congrats. Did you check the 12 bolts we also spoke about on the phone? Now you just have to get over and visit us !!

Absolutely on the visit. Was told the SBs were current from the pre-buy and asked specifically about that one.

Absolutely on the visit. Was told the SBs were current from the pre-buy and asked specifically about that one.

And if the seller told you that all SB’s were complied with he wouldn’t be lying BUT remember that specific SB doesn’t apply to the RV-8 slow build so just like many planes out there, including mine, nobody bothered to check to see if they were installed (during 10 yearly condition inspections and one pre-purchase inspection) until 11 years later when I checked and they weren’t there. :eek:

I’d check those bolts as soon as you can, it takes less than 30 seconds if you know where to look for them.

Last edited:
Correct. My insurance wanted 10 hours due to the fact I had low tailwheel time. I could have gotten lower transition requirement but would have had to pay more for the policy. The 10 hours was money well spent though in my book and I would not hesitate to do it again.

Okay fair enough:) as you know by now the 8 really is a pussycat even as conventional U/C:)

Back