What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap motor install

Guilhermepilot

Well Known Member
I am putting flap actuator on place, and my advisor said that it needs a potenciometer in order for my G3X shows flap position, vans kit does not have one shipped to me, this info is correct?

Thanks captains

Here is a picture of my installation of the POS-12.

IMG_2458-M.jpg

It moves 1" through the range of flaps up to flaps down. The linkage was bought at a hobby shop. Some silicon fusion tape wrapped around the flap weldment provides some stickiness for the adel clamp that holds the small tab for the linkage. The POS-12 sits on an angled piece made from aluminum sheet and riveted flush to the rear flap housing support brace.

You could look out the window instead of staring at the efis.

You could look out the window instead of staring at the efis.

With this sensor, and depending on your configuration, you can set different flap positions: 1 click for position 1, click again for position 2, click again for full flaps.

This way you don't have to stare at your flaps or the EFIS.

Here is a picture of my installation of the POS-12.

IMG_2458-M.jpg

It moves 1" through the range of flaps up to flaps down. The linkage was bought at a hobby shop. Some silicon fusion tape wrapped around the flap weldment provides some stickiness for the adel clamp that holds the small tab for the linkage. The POS-12 sits on an angled piece made from aluminum sheet and riveted flush to the rear flap housing support brace.

+1 - just mount the sensor at 30 degrees to the vertical and point it about 1/4" from the end of the weldment (like the photo above). The stroke should be just about perfect that way.

I installed a potentiometer to display my flap position on my AF 2500 engine monitor. I've never once used it in the last 10 years. It's a waste of time and money to install one.

I almost didn't install the position sensor for the flaps because I could just look over my shoulder. I also use a slow 3 second count for each 15* of flaps, but a quick glance at my airspeed on the G3X also shows my flap position. After about 3 hours I noticed that I wasn't near as busy looking all over the panel, the Efis had everything in one place. I've had the position sensor hooked up since first flight but I have yet to regret building in the sensor, I use it at least once every flight!
Good Luck!

Back