What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy: Change of mind...Maybe.

s10sakota

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever ordered their fuselage kit and then changed their mind on the canopy? I bought the slider, and now I'm thinking I might want the tip-up.

It's not too late in my build to switch, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy all the needed parts, and then send the un-needed parts back to Vans.

I know I can call Vans and ask, but I thought I'd ask here first. I can't be the only one to ever change my mind...um, right? :(

PS: I'm not 100% sure I want to switch, but I think I just like the looks and the unrestricted vis better with the tip-up.

RE: Canopy

Hi Mark

I built a tip up and have flown in the slider. This could be a primer type war ????
Slider is more water tight, better cooling on the ground, ease of use. Tipper clear view out front, better subpanel access, and a bit better baggage access in back. I worked on buliding both and I believe it is a toss up as to which is the worst in fab.

I must admit I sure liked the view out front in my tipper.

Anything is possible ..... Will just about anything .... I would stay with the slider. Get it done and go flying!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Though I am a completely happy slider builder/owner, I think both have their advantages, making it a wash in the end. For that reason, and because changing will probably require a significant outlay of additional cash, I'd say stick with what you've got. In the long run, you're probably not going to care that much either way.

Stay on track!

I say build what you have!

Being indecisive only slows you down. Nothing to it but to do it!

Both types, as we know have their benefits. Enjoy the benefits of the decision you made. Enjoy the plane that you will have built!

Mark, i also saw that you were interested in a partially completed six kit for a great price. Don't let these distractions cloud your end goal.

Build your plane!

;). CJ

You guys are right! What the heck am I thinking? It would cost a fortune to buy new parts and then send these ones back to Vans. This airplane will never get done if I keep second guessing.

Geez...building on!

Well, I spent 250 hrs on my tip up and I am not really happy with the result. I did talk to Gus about the abysmal fit of the tip up parts for the 7 at Osh.(2014) His response was that there was no money in it for them to improve the fit of the tip up, so nothing was going to be done. I, personally thought that this was a pretty poor response, but apparently that is Vans attitude. Thats what you get and if you dont like it, build something else. Personally, if they did offer a better fit/quality canopy, I would consider building a new canopy for fitment and "looks".

Now, about the position of the little wheel... :rolleyes:

Now that... Is a possibly valid alteration! Haha

I don't think that I know anyone (myself included) that is 100% thrilled with their tipper.

I do love the simplicity and visibility. That is the bed I made and that is what I sleep in!

I also fly a -6 that is a very nicely built slider. I guess that I either have the best of both worlds or the worstof both worlds, depending on you point if view!

;) CJ

You guys are right! What the heck am I thinking? It would cost a fortune to buy new parts and then send these ones back to Vans. This airplane will never get done if I keep second guessing.

Geez...building on!

I have had both. Tip on my RV6 1600 hours and slider on my RV7A, 200 hours.

By far I prefer the slider. Much nicer taxing in hot weather, I find the visibility superior, the front wind screen roll over bar becomes invisible pretty quickly, the improved visibility is to the side and rear due to the canopy shape and lack of roll bar behind you.

No more water getting on the instruments when the canopy is raised or during flight , access to the instruments I find is better as I have the panel attached to a mounting ring which allows removal of the panel with a few screws.

By the way, after several thousand hours of tail wheel time I do like having a nose wheel now, possibly age

Last edited:
Now that... Is a possibly valid alteration! Haha
I don't think that I know anyone (myself included) that is 100% thrilled with their tipper.
I do love the simplicity and visibility. That is the bed I made and that is what I sleep in!
I also fly a -6 that is a very nicely built slider. I guess that I either have the best of both worlds or the worstof both worlds, depending on you point if view!
;) CJ

Well, I guess you don't know me. I've been flying with my tip-up canopy for 21.5 years and would not trade it for all the sliders in the world!
I absolutely love it.

Well, I guess you don't know me. I've been flying with my tip-up canopy for 21.5 years and would not trade it for all the sliders in the world!
I absolutely love it.

About half Mels time but I feel the same way, tip-up's rule :D

I absolutely love it.

No Mel, I kmow you. I just didnt know you loved your tip up!

Hahaha

;) CJ

A couple things I like about my slider is I never have to worry about the lift struts getting weak or the wind blowing the canopy shut.

A couple things I like about my slider is I never have to worry about the lift struts getting weak or the wind blowing the canopy shut.

Neither do I! My tip-up doesn't have "lift struts". I have the original hold-up rod as per the plans (circa 1989). When the canopy is closed, the hold-up rod is disconnected from the canopy, thereby making the emergency canopy release viable also.

Neither do I! My tip-up doesn't have "lift struts". I have the original hold-up rod as per the plans (circa 1989). When the canopy is closed, the hold-up rod is disconnected from the canopy, thereby making the emergency canopy release viable also.

True Mel, but you are one of the few I have seen that kept it to the original plans.

Did it myself

Has anyone ever ordered their fuselage kit and then changed their mind on the canopy? I bought the slider, and now I'm thinking I might want the tip-up.

Not a problem. Speak to Vans, you're not the first to do this and it is quite simple to change. (Same thing with removing that big nose wheel :D)

Well, yesterday I opened my finish kit crate because I wanted to move the contents to the basement and get rid of the crate so I can make a small paint booth in my garage. For a lot of the cockpit pieces I want to use an epoxy primer instead of the NAPA 7220 rattle cans.

Anyway, after seeing all the huge canopy parts that would have to be shipped back to Vans, NO WAY! I'm keeping the slider!!

As far as the wheel, I know some of my builder's log pages say "RV-7A" and that's because that was what I thought I would build a long time ago. I decided a long time ago also that I would go with the tailwheel (and that's what I have) but I never got around to renaming some of the pages of the website.

So I'm building a SLIDER, and a TAILWHEEL RV-7!! :D

PS...I should probably mention that after unsuccessfully trying for the last three days to install the steel tailwheel bracket between the two aft bulkheads, I keep saying I should switch to a nose dragger!! LOL

Another Vans steel part that doesn't fit...go figure...

Mark,

Fitting that weldment in goes much easier than the wing bolts and plumbing on a nosedragger!

By the way, watch your edge distance when drilling the top two holes through that weldment. If I recall correctly, I moved mine inboard about 3/16" or so.

See Mike Bullock's build site. He might have some details on it.

;) CJ

Mind change

Stick with the slider. My first was a tip up.m I discovered that when the plane is upside down, and you are in it, you are trapped. With the plane resting between the spinner and the vertical stab, you cannot get the canopy open. With a slider, you have the chance to get out.

As I mentioned after opening the finish kit crate and seeing all the huge parts I'd have to ship back to Vans, I decided to keep the slider.

But one of the main reasons I chose the slider was for what I believe, the extra protection of the roll bar right in front of my head if I ever find myself up-side down.

I think there's a few more inches of head room (while up-side down) with the slider!

Back