What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New member, first question: Air compressor

Emmitt

So I have decided that I want to embark on the journey of building an RV-10! I have researched for countless hours, and I feel I have the capabilities, resources, and most importantly the time to carry this out!

It's time to start tooling out, so I need some help. As for tools, I'm pretty set on ordering the RV-10 tool kit from Isham with a few upgrades, and maybe some separate parts from Cleveland Aircraft Tool. We'll see.

My first real question involves air compressors. I've read several people recommend different kinds and sizes. I've even read some people buy the motor and tank separately and piece them together. Ultimately, I want the plane to be the project, not so much the tools, even if it means spending a little more, but getting started sooner. Also, I don't want the bare minimum. I do live with parents, so making less noise is a plus.

All that being said, I believe the general consensus is to get a 2 stage, belt driven, oiled, air compressor of approximately 60-80 gallons.

This one seems to fit the bill, but it costs about $2k. Do you guys think it's overkill? Do you all know of any other model numbers or brands that would fit the bill?

For what its worth, I will be doing quick build on the wings, and still undecided on the fuselage.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!
-Alex

Welcome to VAF

Alex, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

The compressor you linked is very close to what I have--------and mine is close to 20 years old and has been totally reliable and has never failed to perform all I need it for.

If you can afford it, and you will still be able to justify it after the build, my $0.02 says go for it.

The compressor you linked is very close to what I have--------and mine is close to 20 years old and has been totally reliable and has never failed to perform all I need it for.

If you can afford it, and you will still be able to justify it after the build, my $0.02 says go for it.

Thanks for the quick reply Mike! It would probably end up staying in the garage long term as a gift for my father. He's always wanted one.

The only issue with buying this is that it might delay ordering the empennage a month or so; but if it'll save future headaches for me and the family inside the house, I'm all for it.

You would never run short of air with that compressor.
Unless you plan on painting or running a lot of high consumption tools (grinders, etc), it is probably overkill just for the -10 project.

However, if cost isn't an issue and you want a huge compressor, IR makes good stuff...

I have a single stage oiled 60 gal compressor that I found on sale at Lowes for $100 (it likely was mismarked but the cashier was insistent the price was correct). It has been more than I need for the -8 project so far. I started with a smaller Craftsman non-oiled compressor and it ran frequently and was loud.

People seldom regret buying good tools. That said, yes, $2K is overkill.

Yep. My 1.5 hp, 20 gallon compressor from Sears is pushing 25 years old. I've used it to rivet together two airplanes, paint one, and do all of the priming on a second. Is it loud? Yes, but earmuffs are cheap and I only use the compressor about 1 in 10 work sessions. There is no way I could rationalize a $2k compressor.

So how does one rationalize two airplanes?

I try to buy the best tools I can afford and I’ve never regretted it. That being said, it’s easy to get distracted by the newest shiny object and lose sight of the goal.

If it’s a gift, I say go for it. I have the 7.5 hp fully packaged version of that IR compressor and it works great. I also use it for bead blasting, impact wrenches, etc. and would buy it again if I needed to.

Last edited:
So working on my RV-10 and I don't have anything crazy for my air compressor. Just a 20 Gallon single stage unit. It can output 4 SCFM at 90 PSI and it has done just fine for the last two years. I think similar units go for $200-$300 depending on brand.

I have used it to spray primer, buck rivets, air-drill, squeeze, and some sanding. Compressor is in my garage and I typically wear hearing protection as the compressor is annoyingly loud. I also do have to allow the tank to recharge when spraying or sanding, but honestly it's not terrible.

Unless you plan on actually painting your project with this compressor, I don't think you need that big of a system. Granted I'm sure you will love the compressor you listed, just make sure you have sufficient power and a place to mount it! :)

Welcome to VAF and good luck on your project!

Also building an RV-10. I just bought the cheapest 21 gal compressor available from Home Depot. For me, this is strictly for the plane since I most likely won't have a use for it afterwards. It's been pretty decent for me so far. It'll kick on constantly when I use a pneumatic drill, but I seldom do. I have a very good electric drill that I use. It's more than enough for riveting and dimpling, and I spent another $200 on a nice noise cancelling headset for when it does kick on. No regrets so far.

Oh, and I don't plan to paint myself so that wasn't a consideration. Priming is done via rattle can.

If you are willing to spend $2k you might want to compare the 80gal "Quincy". The motor runs at lower rpm than most other brands which makes it quieter. My $.02

I have a Quincy two stage and it is very good but way more than you need. A single stage is much less cost and will supply all the air for a RV project needed. Get a big tank, about 5hp, single stage and you will b more than set. Put it in a little out building outside your shop so you won’t listen to it running.

I think you need to slow down a bit and figure out what you're going to use it for before looking. Look at the tools you're buying and the CFM requirements. Tank size doesn't matter much.

If you are just going to use it for riveting, then any of the small compressors will do. Air drill? Step up a bit or you'll be waiting. Painting the whole plane? Get a big one that will match the CFM of your sprayer.

I'd look for something quiet. Oiled or something like the California Air Ultra Quiet (which do live up to their name).

The large uprights are.. well.. large and heavy and not portable at all. They live where you set them. So you end up adding plumbing to work around that, which leads to additional cost. You'll need to buy a drier and fittings and hoses either way though.

I don't see a need for a two stage honestly. I have never needed the extra PSI and when I bought my compressor the single stage put out more CFM.

That said, I have the IR SS5L5 and do love it. When I bought it I was using air tools for nearly everything. It's run for a good 15 years and has never run out of air on me, even when I was spraying a whole car in clear. It has hundreds of hours on it. I've run two air sanders at once with it. It is loud enough to be (barely) heard through the whole house when it runs.

It unfortunately got dropped by the movers and cracked the motor end bell but still runs.

Be warned that IR isn't what it used to be. I've seen (and used) newer versions of the compressors and they aren't the same as what I have. They have fallen victim to cost cutting. They are serviceable but there are issues with motor life and the pressure switch.

I also have an older Bostitch that can run the smaller stuff just fine with a bit of waiting.

Well, one thing is for sure... some questions are generally considered to be settled science, and you won't get much in the way of differing opinions. It's the same with which primer to use, whether to prime, style of canopy, and the correct position of the third wheel.

:)

I think I paid about $450-ish for my 30 gallon from Northern Tool. Oiled, belt driven, upright. It can be wired for either 110 or 220. It appears to be identical to models found at Home Depot, Lowes, and various other places under several brand names. It's been more than adequate for everything except running a die grinder, and I do have to wait for it to refill when blowing out my sprinkler system.

I have a $250 24gal Porter Cable that does the job just fine from Tractor Supply. Its an oiled, single stage direct drive so its on the loud side.

If I were to do-over I'd be looking for a 30 gal upright model with a belt-driven, low RPM 2 stage pump.

#1 - The air compressor you listed requires 220V. Do you have 220 available in your workshop? Any 220V compressor should be fine, while many 110V compressors will not. Get the oil type if you can (quiet and reliable).

#2 - The air compressor you listed is a very high end compressor. If you can afford it, go for it. I chose to use a less expensive option... I have this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dewalt-60-gallon-air-compressor-155-psi-dxcm601?cm_vc=-10005 Dewalt 220V compressor that is at Tractor Supply for less than $500 (220V, 11.5scfm at 90 psi) and it is much more than needed to build multiple airplanes.

This Dewalt keeps up 100% with sandblasting, painting, inline sander, and any air tool that I have used.
The $2000 compressor could keep up with several workstations, several employees using several air tools at one time. Do you NEED that type of compressor?

I say try one for $500, order your kit and start building.

Last edited:
It's been more than adequate for everything except running a die grinder, and I do have to wait for it to refill when blowing out my sprinkler system.

Ha, that was a head scratcher for a minute. Then I remembered where I grew up (about 100 miles north of you), and the whole idea of specific chores that are done in the fall came rushing back. Its been 35 years since I have dealt with old man winter.:D

To the OP. Unless you are a serious do it your selfer and plan on doing much more when the 10 is over. Than that compressor you linked to is way overkill. You can get one for less than half the cost that will be more than sufficient. The IR garage model bkervaski linked from Northern tool is probably your best value, AND will still be more than enough air unless you are doing your own paint job. IMHO

I have owned that exact IR 2 stage, 5 HP compressor for over 30 years. It has not missed a beat and is very quiet. I run a small aircraft restoration hangar and have a full sized spray booth and that compressor works great for my application. It might be overkill to build one aircraft, but you will be able to hand it down to great grandchildren because it will last forever!

Cheers,

Phil

If you're spending that kind of money I'd certainly look at the Quincy. I've run them in industrial settings, day in and day out, for years without problem. I think we replace the motor on ours at the machine shop I worked at once after something like 20 years. Pump still going strong. That was an 80 gallon single phase 220V model.

I currently have a 60 gallon Quincy with twin pumps and motors, 3 phase, 3 total horsepower (although the pumps are rated for 5 hp each, so I could put bigger motors on if I ever need more air). Bought it when a building was demolished, it had been running the HVAC system. I've had zero issues, other than when some idiot (okay, me) hooked it up on 220V power when the transformer was set for 208V power. All that blew was a control relay, simple fix. What's nice this is that Quincy sells parts for pretty much everything. And made in the USA.

You can never have too much air compressor. Especially if you are using die grinders, painting, or sand blasting.

My 2 cents is that an 80 gallon compressor from Home Depot or Lowe's will work fine unless you're a commercial shop; and it will cost way less than $2K.

My Home Depot compressor cost about $800 at the time (20 years ago), but still works fine and had plenty of air volume for the task. I tried a small Sears roll-about 20 gallon first: not enough volume so it ran all the time when drilling and was very noisy (it drove me nuts). Plus I would have to stop work at times while the compressor "caught up" with enough air volume. You could physically feel the tool slowing down.

So definitely get a 60-80 gallon size - you won't regret that.

My air tools typically call for 90psi for optimum performance without long-term damage to the tool. And of course, painting will require even less pressure. So an inline regulator is a must as well.

Use the cash you save for other quality tools.

Chris

I Prefer the Quincy Compressors

If you intend to paint the aircraft exterior yourself, you will need a compressor with a significant CFM output, but probably still not as large as the IR compressor you are looking at. If you intend to have the exterior painted by a professional shop like I am, than you can build the RV-10 with a much lower cost compressor.

I selected the Quincy 26 gal. "portable" compressor that is rated at 7.4 CFM @ 90psi, and runs on 115 VAC, 20 amp circuit. This is a reasonably quiet compressor (I don't need ear plugs with it), and has been able to keep up with all my air tools, including air drill, rivet gun, pneumatic squeezers, and small air die grinder. I also used it to paint the interior of my RV-10, and only had to stop briefly a couple of times to let it catch up when I sprayed for more than several minutes continuously.
I've been very happy with this compressor. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...MIsOe3hsjZ3gIVWLnACh2UVADBEAYYASABEgIYVfD_BwE

I compared this to the similar IR compressor when I bought it a couple years ago and felt the Quincy was a bit better quality. As another poster said, IR isn't making the same quality tools that they used to sell many years ago.

Best of luck with your new building endeavor. The RV-10 is a nice aircraft, but also a very large project.

If you intend to paint the aircraft exterior yourself, you will need a compressor with a significant CFM output, but probably still not as large as the IR compressor you are looking at. If you intend to have the exterior painted by a professional shop like I am, than you can build the RV-10 with a much lower cost compressor.

I selected the Quincy 26 gal. "portable" compressor that is rated at 7.4 CFM @ 90psi, and runs on 115 VAC, 20 amp circuit. This is a reasonably quiet compressor (I don't need ear plugs with it), and has been able to keep up with all my air tools, including air drill, rivet gun, pneumatic squeezers, and small air die grinder. I also used it to paint the interior of my RV-10, and only had to stop briefly a couple of times to let it catch up when I sprayed for more than several minutes continuously.
I've been very happy with this compressor. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...MIsOe3hsjZ3gIVWLnACh2UVADBEAYYASABEgIYVfD_BwE

I compared this to the similar IR compressor when I bought it a couple years ago and felt the Quincy was a bit better quality. As another poster said, IR isn't making the same quality tools that they used to sell many years ago.

Best of luck with your new building endeavor. The RV-10 is a nice aircraft, but also a very large project.

First off, thank you all for your input. I do appreciate it.

I have learned that although my original suggestion was a good one, it was way overkill. Also, I don't need double stage, single is fine and will save money. Good to know!

All that being said, a few of you mentioned a few suggestions.
bkervaski: 20 gallon IR
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5221_200375221
My only concern with this is one that 20 gallon may be too small of a tank.

Andrew Anunson: 60 Gallon Dewalt
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...n-air-compressor-155-psi-dxcm601?cm_vc=-10005
This seems like excellent value at under $500 for a 60 gal tank. Maybe a little loud on the loud side?

jacoby: 60 Gallon IR SS5L5
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-60-gallon-high-capacity-air-compressor?rfk=1

And the notable mention: California Air Tools 60 Gallon @ $1500
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-60040CAD-Air-Compressor/p81918.html

Quincy also seems to be a good competitor to IG if I end up going overkill. Again, the noise factor is not so important for me, I only heavily consider it for the folks inside the house. I'm building in the garage:).

For now, I think one of those three listed above may be good candidates. Any further input is greatly welcomed. Thanks again!
-Alex

Don't worry too much about the tank size. It's the CFM that matters. Once the compressor starts running you will outpace the tank if the tools you are using need more CFM than the pump can supply, at which point you'll be waiting. A bigger tank tends to run a bit dryer, especially with lower CFM use and the pump runs less often assuming it can outpace the tool.

A 3x rivet gun needs 3 CFM. A pneumatic squeezer needs 3 CFM. An air drill needs 12+. A HVLP sprayer 13+. An air sander, 14+. Note that these are continuous numbers. If you only use the drill at 50% you're down to ~6 CFM actual.

You can do everything you need to do to build the plane with any of the compressors mentioned, outside of final color. You will need continuous air for that. It's not really an option to wait for the pump to catch up in the middle of painting.

Maybe a little loud on the loud side?
No, its not loud.... and its a low pitch sound. Nothing at all like a noisy oil-less compressor.
Any of the 220V oil type compressors will be awesome. The 220V is just as important as the tank size.

You will also need...
A compressed air drier, maybe a regulator, some good air hose, and perhaps a coalescing filter.

Last edited:
You can do everything you need to do to build the plane with any of the compressors mentioned, outside of final color. You will need continuous air for that. It's not really an option to wait for the pump to catch up in the middle of painting.

I think I'm leaning towards that Dewalt for now. One thing I don't know at this moment is if I will paint or have it painted for me. If I do choose to paint it myself, do you guys think the Dewalt will be adequate for that task? Thanks!
-Alex

You might want to check out Craigslist, lots of good compressors for cheap and tax free to be found.

Air guns only need continuous air if you're spraying continuously. You make passes with the gun, letting off the air between passes and probably reducing the continuous need to 75% of the stated value. Then, you need to reposition yourself, reposition the work, etc on a fairly frequent basis, again reducing the need for air.

Plenty of people have built and painted RV's with 5CFM compressors with 20 gallon tanks. Would a bigger compressor help? Sure, but at a cost difference that runs in the hundreds (maybe a thousand) dollars, the lower capacity compressor is a good value for most builders.

Sez the guy who just finished priming his cowl using compressed air from his 24 year old 5 CFM/20 gallon Craftsman compressor..

220V

It seemed to me when looking into these that all of them in the $600-700 range were nearly identical. CFM specs were about the same given a "fudge factor".

I ended up with an Air America (from Devilbliss), 240v, 60 gallon single stage. Works fantastic. The only time I give it a workout is using the air drill or die grinder. It keeps up just fine.

You can probably find one during black friday season for at least $100 off. Save your money and get that kit!

Welcome to the build, your going to love it.

5CFM

Air guns only need continuous air if you're spraying continuously. You make passes with the gun, letting off the air between passes and probably reducing the continuous need to 75% of the stated value. Then, you need to reposition yourself, reposition the work, etc on a fairly frequent basis, again reducing the need for air.

Plenty of people have built and painted RV's with 5CFM compressors with 20 gallon tanks. Would a bigger compressor help? Sure, but at a cost difference that runs in the hundreds (maybe a thousand) dollars, the lower capacity compressor is a good value for most builders.

Sez the guy who just finished priming his cowl using compressed air from his 24 year old 5 CFM/20 gallon Craftsman compressor..

I have the same one. Primed everything inside and painted interior parts. Personally, I rarely use the die grinder. It's a horrible air hog. Next to the HVLP, the drill is next biggest air user. I tend to grab the cordless because I don't have to mess with air hoses.

I cant say this for sure, but my gut feel is that IR is the only compressor seller that actually makes their compressors, not a co that slaps their name on something from China......

I have an IR SS3 60gal vertical 240V. I looked at the 5, but I tapped off my dryer 30A dryer circuit and figured it would pop the breaker, where as I knew the 3hp motor wouldnt. Did want to go big and have to send it back. As it is, the SS3 works fine for me for all my car, airplane, whatever work. Whatever you get, make sure you dont stuff it up against a wall - all the pumps need their cooling air.....

Last edited:
If there is a commercial compressor builder in your area, talk with them. I had mine built up with an "American Compressor" pump and 80 gallon vertical tank while I was building my -6 in 1989. Still runs perfectly today. I wouldn't have anything but 2-stage. You can carry on a conversation standing next to it. I drain the tank daily and change the oil once a year. I typically work on my airplanes, cars, tractors, and just general "stuff".

+1 Highly recommended. I have the 5 hp version and have abused it for many years (25). I burned up the motor, (blowing out my irrigation system), blew a head gasket, and fractured the cooling line between stages. It was limited to 5 starts per hour. I exceeded that and toasted the starter windings. Still, highly recommended. You should be able to find the 5hp less that $2k, mine was around $1k but have seen them lately just over that. The 7.5 hp would be bullet proof, and around $2k.

Except for the irrigation thing (I still do it) it will paint and sandblast all day.

EDIT: Ahhh here it is northern tool. $1400 - 7.5hp, 80g gal $2100 - free shipping.

This means a local distributor can sell it pretty close, or less, to you.

Last edited:
Finally pulled the trigger!

Hey guys! First and foremost thank you for all the info and feedback. Every comment was very helpful. I ended up going with a 80 gal IR 2 stage 5hp one. Tractor Supply had $100 off Christmas sale!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ingersoll-rand-80-gallon-5-hp-reciprocating-air-compressor

I'm hoping this will be enough to complete 100% of the jobs involved in building the Rv10 including painting.
Here are some photos.https://photos.app.goo.gl/USDuJYNZcR9C3D5b7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D6KnuRp8U4svVLdq9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eGUSsHWLFNFsPMn37

Back