What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACE (Advanced Performance Engineering)

Chippster1

ACE (Advanced Component Engineering)

I have not heard much about this engine in a while. It sounded great on paper?lighter, more powerful, and runs on 87 Octane. Honestly, sounds too good to be true. Has anyone heard anything lately? Know anyone who has one?
Would love to hear thoughts or experience

T Chipps
RV-10 N498EC

Last edited:
No updates on FaceBook since June of 2017. Couldn't find a website.

Sounds dead to me.

This: http://www.ac-aero.com/

Which is not to confer legitimacy. I met Andrew Higgs briefly at Reno several years ago and had a brief opportunity to fondle a Lycoming replacement cylinder. Intriguing. He apparently has some serious engine design chops; remains to be seen if they can be translated into business success.

I met Andrew at Reno this year and looked at his new engine design on display. We didn't have a long time to chat as he was busy assisting a race team there.

He's based in Japan now and working to bring the new engines into full scale production following some more testing. We didn't discuss his Lycoming parts unfortunately so I can't comment on availability or price.

Best to email him directly for that info.

The avgas engine components are still available, via complete engines delivered from a shop in the UK. There is no US-based shop assembling them right now. A year ago Andrew was actively looking for a new US-based partner, but at this time his primary interest is the new stepped piston diesels.

If serious, contact Andrew directly via the AC Aero website.

Last edited:
As Ross mentioned, the Lycoming type engines are still available and I believe he okay'ed the production of newly designed liquid cooled cylinders for Lycomings but not sure the time frame.

He is hard at work machining parts for his clean sheet design V4 which is a spark ignited, Jet A burning piston engine. There are lots of updates on that on his Facebook page. I'm gathering some info now as well to post on here for folks to follow along if interested.

First set of gladiator cylinders arrive in October. I put my hands on all the parts earlier this week and am super intrigued. 440 cubic inches using the existing 320/360 case plus the liquid cooling. ASAP in Bakersfield is the first service center for AC Aero.

Last edited by a moderator:
First set of gladiator cylinders arrive in October. I put my hands on all the parts earlier this week and am super intrigued. 440 cubic inches using the existing 320/360 case plus the liquid cooling. ASAP in Bakersfield is the first service center for AC Aero.

Agree seems like as close to hp in a can for a standard Lycoming as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back