What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your FINISHED RV-6/6A!

I agree

I second that. I have found Laird Owens i believe that sells a nice panel like that, but.....I am doing a 9a tip up and cannot find a great modular panel. SOMEONE find one and sell it to me. Those are great. Check out mike schippers 9a site. That has to be one of the nicest mods you can put on a build. They really dress up the plane beautifully. Suppliers and entrepreneurs get on it.

Mounted the left and right wings to the fuselage this weekend.
Now have to get the fuselage and wings jigged so can drill the hole in the rear spar attach bracket.

rv40051.jpg

Last edited:
Painted plane - still in parts

I had my plane painted by a local friend with a body shop.

I fly RC planes for fun too so I wanted a look that was part RC, part antique.<

Hope to be putting the wings on shortly.

Don Mack
N708CM
my website

IMG_0007.jpg

paintleftwing1.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:
The plane looks great Don. It's funny though, it seems to resemble a certain Ercoupe that you used to own. :)

It's great to see you're almost there. Your first long distance flight need to be down here to Austin. :)

Good luck.

Mike

Scott Penton's N23412

88b7re2.jpg

67c2re2.jpg

newpics107.jpg

Picture347.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Here is my RV ! Many Mods !

I recently installed the Vetterman exhaust im really am liking it so far.

Sorry about the size of the pics can someone tell me how to scale them down?
The Catto 3 blade will be installed shortly and many more things just waiting to be bolted on.

Last edited:

I am the proud owner as of Jan. 2008 of Robbie Attaways RV-6
Flew it home from Phoenix AZ after the purchase in approx 9 hrs of flight time
to my home base of Louisa, VA. (LKU)
As you must know I am enjoying the airplane beyond my expections. There are three other RV-6's at LKU
so you can imagine how much fun we are having on weekends.
Drop in we are ususally there every weekend.

Bill

Cost Conscious

With 220 TT, my -6A "Darla!" has been flying for over 3 years now. I decided to maintain a (mostly) Nuvite polished
aluminum finish not so much to save weight but mainly because my wife balks at endorsing a multi-thousand
dollar paint job. What is painted was done over a couple of years by bringing parts home from time to time to apply
Acry-Glo. That kept down time to a minimum and is one reason I made the empennage tips removable with
screws and nutplates.

zkjpqp.jpg

Last edited:
Some pictures of my RV6 (hopefully it will work) after I flew it from Philly to Moses Lake Wa. I was trying to get to Seattle but had to settle for Moses Lake for a couple of weeks waiting for Puget Sound weather to cooperate.

Doug%20001%5B1%5D.JPG

Doug%20007%5B1%5D.JPG

Doug Meloche
RV6 230hrs

Last edited:
Looks like Columbia Pacific Aviation. I got my pilots licence on that ramp, a&p just to the west at Big Bend. Beautiful 6, and welcome to kmwh!

I am the proud owner as of Jan. 2008 of Robbie Attaways RV-6
Flew it home from Phoenix AZ after the purchase in approx 9 hrs of flight time
to my home base of Louisa, VA. (LKU)
As you must know I am enjoying the airplane beyond my expections. There are three other RV-6's at LKU
so you can imagine how much fun we are having on weekends.
Drop in we are ususally there every weekend.

Bill

It is also one of the fastest RV-6s around. Go to www.sportairrace.org, scroll down to the bottom and click on "2007 Race Season Race Results" then click on Taylor 100 Race Results. You will see that your airplane completed the four sided 100 mile course at 214.58 mph.

Bob Axsom

Some pictures of my RV6 (hopefully it will work) after I flew it from Philly to Moses Lake Wa. I was trying to get to Seattle but had to settle for Moses Lake for a couple of weeks waiting for Puget Sound weather to cooperate.

Doug%20001%5B1%5D.JPG

Doug%20007%5B1%5D.JPG

Doug Meloche
RV6 230hrs

Nice lookin' plane. Who took those pictures? Must've been a professional. Ha!Ha! See you when you get back to Philly.

It is also one of the fastest RV-6s around. Go to www.sportairrace.org, scroll down to the bottom and click on "2007 Race Season Race Results" then click on Taylor 100 Race Results. You will see that your airplane completed the four sided 100 mile course at 214.58 mph.

Bob Axsom

Bob

I knew about that race, I think Robbie set a new speed record with it.
I see on the results that you were not too far behind him.
The other 3 RV's at LKU know it's fast also.

Bill

Last edited:
Made It Safely to the Airport (1B8)

loadingdj2.jpg

After 8 years of having it around the house it felt a bit like sending kids to college!

ontrailerjz5.jpg

Locking rudder with a couple of plastic plates and some zip ties - worked great. Did the same for the elevators.

loadedya9.jpg

Thanks to West Side Towing & Repair of Bennington VT

toairportqg0.jpg

Cover billowed a bit

hangaredfq9.jpg

Safely tucked under the wing for now of C172 N5551R in the Cambridge Valley Flying Club's 60' x 60' hangar at Chapin Field (1B8), Cambridge NY. Drop by and say hello.
www.cambridgevalleyflyingclub.org

Now it's time to fit the wings.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-Up

Last edited:
It's one of the last 6 empenage kits. It has the original 7 rudder which is a bit taller than the old six's and has a balance horn. I believe it is common with the 8. 7s now come with an even taller rudder with a riveted trailing edge and I believe that it is common with the 9. Van's believes more in evolution than revolution - until the 12 came along.

My aeroplane has the laminated bar wing spar caps, slightly taller seat floor than the 7 and smaller gap between the panel and sub-panel than the 7. FWF it is per the 7 plans with the fuel pump between the pedals and the battery and relays on the RH firewall. The only prepunched holes were on some of the empenage and wing skins and everything was built in a jig.

I think I have the pedigree right but would be happy to be corrected.

Jim Sharkey

Congratulations. As another long-term builder who just finished, I congratulate you and join you in sticking our tongues out at all the quick builders out there! :p

;) Enjoy your aircraft, you've worked long and hard for it.

N96FS ready to fly in IN

I finally finished my RV-6 after 14-1/2 years of building. On November 20, 2008 DAR Tony Cecere inspected and signed it off I will make my first flight after transition training with Alex this week.

I kept it simple and light. Empty weight is 1009 lbs. It has a rebuilt 0-360-A1A Lycoming with Sterba 70/82 wood prop, new carb, plane power alternator, new slick mags and was upgraded to the RV-7 FWF kit.

The panel is simple VFR/Day/Night. I have an older Advance Grand Rapids EIS, Icom I200A, Garmin 320A transponder and PS3000 intercom. The seats are Flight Line, no carpet (yet), no side panels, CH stick grips and electric flaps

N96FS%20Ready%20to%20Fly%20081123%20020.jpg

N96FS%20Ready%20to%20Fly%20081123%20009.jpg

N96FS%20Ready%20to%20Fly%20081123%20017.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Frank

I think you achieved exactly what Van had in mind when he designed the six.
It's refreshing to see a panel which isn't worth more than the whole kit.;) How did you resist all that "panel candy" out there? :eek:
I notice you have what appears to be defrosters on the top of the panel. That's a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration. Nice clean looking plane. Have fun and fly safe.:)

Racing Evolved

You should be able to detect some differences between this and the earlier photo in this thread - especially wing tips and wheel subfairings.

Bob Axsom

IMG_3233.jpg

I think you achieved exactly what Van had in mind when he designed the six.
It's refreshing to see a panel which isn't worth more than the whole kit.;) How did you resist all that "panel candy" out there? :eek:
I notice you have what appears to be defrosters on the top of the panel. That's a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration. Nice clean looking plane. Have fun and fly safe.:)

It was easy to resist the "panel candy". 1. I looked at the simple panels in Van's planes and they flew them across the country to Sun'n Fun and OSH every year. 2. Most of the new electronics were not availabel when I started designing my panel many years ago. 3. I am a low time pilot who would probable not get the full use out of a more elaberate panel. 4. After 14.5 years I decided to keep it simple and the cost down so I could finally finish and get to flying. 5. I figured as I fly I will determine what else I would like to have and can add it later.

Yes I do have two large computer cooling fans for defrost. I did not put in any ducting, I figured heated air would rise under the panel to the fans. In a short taxi test with two of us fogging up the canopy it work well. Don't know what it will do in flight.

Congrats, Frank! Light and simple -- Van will probably kiss you. :D

Good luck with your training and first flights. Keep us all updated on your progress. I'm not too far behind you ... heheh ...

It was easy to resist the "panel candy". 1. I looked at the simple panels in Van's planes and they flew them across the country to Sun'n Fun and OSH every year.

It doesn't hurt to have some kind of attitude indication for inadvertant IMC, even if it's a panel page that's available with some of today's handheld GPS units.

I'm saying this, because one of Van's simple panels did in fact, run into serious and un-planned IMC problems while on a cross-country back in 2000.

edit: And if that's a panel dock for a Garmin 296/396/496 .......then great! , as it's got the panel page! It's a bit hard to tell in the pic.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
It doesn't hurt to have some kind of attitude indication for inadvertant IMC, even if it's a panel page that's available with some of today's handheld GPS units.

And if that's a panel dock for a Garmin 296/396/496 .......then great! , as it's got the panel page! It's a bit hard to tell in the pic.

Yes, that is a Garmin GPS docking station for the x96 series. I also plan to eventually place in the center instrument hole, where the slip ball is now, a TruTrak ADI autopilot.

First Start

After almost nine years first start was on April 25th 2009 at Chapin Field (1B8) NY. New experimental Lycoming O360-A1A. A few initial puffs of smoke to burn off the preservation oil but otherwise smooth and clean with no leaks. Idle rough but may just need more running and/or mixture and/or idle adjustment.

firststart.jpg

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Registration Paperwork with the FAA

And weighs in at...

....1021 lb minus wheel and gear fairings and paint.

A bit like me - 20 lb more than ideal but still good for fully primed interior with O360, metal prop, lights, strobes and EFIS.

Interestingly left wheel was 10 lb heavier than right wheel - landing light, metal wing conduit and oil cooler are on left side as is cg of instruments and radio stack combination. Perhaps this and solo pilots have more to do with heavy left wings than the trailing edge shape of the ailerons? :)

Jim Sharkey

RV6 on our show

G-PWUL

Vicki-in-Rv6-g-pwul.jpg

I promised I would let you guys know when we released our RV6 feature.

As I've said before the show is aimed at inspiring new people rather than going into any real technical detail so I hope you enjoy Vicki's raw enthusiasm. We've already had emails asking how you get hold of the aircraft.

As for the aircraft. Beautifully prepared. Flying from a small grass strip to the north east of London, UK, called Damyns Hall (EGML). We also flew in an RV8 that day.

repeat offender.

My second flying RV. One day I will get a chance to build my own, but until then I will enjoy flying them....
Reassembled awaiting blastoff after 2 months at sea...
img33086994074.jpg

Blastoff.
img32936974140.jpg

Test pilot's RV grin....
img33107005094.jpg

IO-320 with CS prop and Day night VFR panel...

A new home for a Fire Breathing RV-6

Thanks for all the hard work that Jon put into this incredibly well-built work of art.
gal.php

Cool (Hot) Paint

Thanks...the plane seems to get quite a bit of attention whenever I fly somewhere. The guy that painted the plane is from Washington state and now, after painting some more famous peoples' trucks and cars, is known on Discovery Channel. :cool:

old school panel

img2294a.jpg
img0565yz8.jpg

you can tell this is pre 2000. i added the 430, trutrak, 496, zaon, ipod and bose headsets. passing 3,550 hrs and loving every minute. second engine, and lots of gas tires and oil. finally did a recover of the interior. the paint is based on a king air design. love dem rv's.
americanflag2a.jpg

Last edited:
No picture yet but.....

RV6 N959JS was inspected today and received its Special Airworthiness Certificate with a 40 hour phase I. I also received my Repairman Certificate. Now I need to get me as ready as possible for the first flight.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-up - FP Exp Lyc O360-A1A
Signed Off and Ready for Flight

A big milestone

Congratulations Jim. I'm looking forward to that first flight photo.

My New Panel on Sugar Charlie

I am presently deployed to the Middle East on a yearlong rotation. Prior to leaving the states last fall I ask the former owner / builder of my RV6, N601SC (AKA ?Sugar Charlie) if he would perform a little RV panel magic. Boy did he come through. Steve Campbell is now my new best friend. I cannot say thanks enough to the quality work he has done.

Below are the before and after pics. The before pic was taken in APR 2007 when I bought Sugar Charlie. The present is what I will return to in the fall of this year.

Though I have not personally made it home yet to enjoy the outcome of his magic ? I am sure the tricks will be countless. The major components for this particular upgrade included a Dynon 100, Dynon 2 axis auto-pilot, Dynon AP 74, Dynon AOA/Pitot, Grand Rapids EIS fuel analyzer, Carb temp probe, 2.25? backup Airspeed and Altimeter gages, Classic Aero leather glare shield trim and linking my Garmin 396 to the SL-40 and Dynon package.

Sugar Charlie was an incredible traveling machine prior to the panel upgrade ? I can only imagine my future VFR travels will be even more enjoyable.
Having made the cross country between 32GA (40 miles south of Athens, GA) and Old El Paso, TX on several occasions in my first RV (RV-3) and now the 6 in fewer than 8 hrs of hand flying ? I am sure the Dynon auto pilot and new situational awareness concerning attitude for those hazy summer days will be a welcomed addition.

Many thanks to the following in the retail industry ? Stein at Stein Air for providing all the great products, Mike at Dynon General Support and Tim at Grand Rapids. You folks are off the charts concerning costumer support. Throughout their emails to Steve all they wanted to do is make things right and get the 6 safely in the air. Finally, to all the helping hands at I17.

Over Old El Paso - Spring 2008
OverOldElPaso.jpg

Apr 2007
Apr2007.jpg

May 2007
May07.jpg

Jan 2009
Jan09.jpg

Jul 2009
D100.jpg

Jul 2009
NewatNight.jpg

My Grin
open.jpg

See you all on the top deck?

Cheers.

Jerry

Construction Video

sorry - youtube seems to be speeding it up and cutting it short - need to work out why

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

Last edited:
For work and play

Here is a couple of pics of my RV6 and my work plane that pays for it all. Pierre may be able to relate to the second one!

zodimt.jpg

uvtic.jpg

Cheers

Graham in Western Australia

Dumb Question

Graham (or Pierre),
The cockpit on the Air Tractor(?) seems huge. Like I said, I do not know much about these planes, but it looks like there is enough room for a second seat!

Last edited:
Back