What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming O360-A1F6

mihblin

Hello,
Not sure this is the best place for this question, but since this relates to engine on rv4, i'll post it here:
Engine is a Lycoming o360-A1F6. What is this AN fitting for?

qodk5s.jpg

Thank you

That could have been used for oil supply line to the oil cooler. See figure 2.

Not sure why you have a barbed fitting (just left of the fitting you're pointing to) for the oil return line. AN fittings for fuel and oil, and steel (my personal opinion) when mounted on something that shakes like an engine.

It is my understanding that many O-360's have a rear engine accessory case that look like that. My A1F6 is on an RV7A. You will like it although it may be a little heavier than standard 0-360, which is a little heavier than 0-320 of course. I lightened it up by swapping out the high altitude mags for P-mags and added some weight back on by converting to fuel injection.

Bevan

103d64i.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/125j0bk.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Bevan,
If I understand the diagram correctly, then those two plugs "A" and "B" both can be used as a line to cooler; While the brass fitting was the line from cooler?

Would you say the rv4 might be a little too nose heavy with -A1F6 and single pilot?

Mikhail

Would you say the rv4 might be a little too nose heavy with -A1F6 and single pilot?

Mikhail

All depends on how you (or the original builder) built it. For example if you used a 50ish lb constant speed prop or a 13ish lb wooden prop. did you use a 3 lb battery or the old style 26 lb battery. Did you mount that on the firewall or on the fuse aft of the copilot. Too many variables. The only way to know the answer to that is to see your empty W&B data and associated CG.

Don't use that brass looking fitting. Use a steel AN fitting with correct hoses for the oil cooler.

Last edited:
I got rid of brass and acquired AN fittings instead. So, just to confirm, two plugs "A" and "B" both can be used as a line to cooler? (previous post photo)
Or what is an acceptable way to connect cooler to engine?
Thank you.

Mikhail

So, just to confirm, two plugs "A" and "B" both can be used as a line to cooler? (previous post photo)

I believe that to be correct. FWIW, I am using the B location to supply oil to my cooler. I feel the bigger AN8 fitting at B has less restriction than the AN6 on my engine at A. The previous owner used A.

Speaking of weight, be advised that the 0-360-A1F6 engine is somewhere between 3-8 lbs heavier than the more common A1A but that can be mitigated by swapping out the original heavy mags for P-mags or other electronic ignition. If you have the original heavy starter, you might consider one of the lightweight versions. I am happy with my lightweight starter from B&C and lightweight battery (2.8 lb) from Shorai. YYMV. This info is to be used at your own risk. Do your research and make your own decisions. Maybe post a W&B report to others can see a better picture of your situation.

Bevan

Last edited:
Similiar question

Does anybody have a picture of the back of the accessory case? I have a O-360-A1F6D, and does not match the setup on the pictures exactly. Specifically Im looking for what others have done or where they have hooked up the oil cooler hoses.

Thanks for any help

Does anybody have a picture of the back of the accessory case? I have a O-360-A1F6D, and does not match the setup on the pictures exactly. Specifically Im looking for what others have done or where they have hooked up the oil cooler hoses.

Thanks for any help

Tom,
My 7 has a O-360-A1F6D, I sent an email for further pics etc.

Andy

No dice

Thanks Andy, but didn?t get any email. I checked my junk folder and nothing was there either. I appreciate your efforts.

Richard, yes I agree the brass fitting is for the breather (which matches my location), however, I don?t have the fitting directly adjacent from that brass fitting (where the finger is pointing).

Thanks Andy, but didn?t get any email. I checked my junk folder and nothing was there either. I appreciate your efforts.

Hmmm, I'll try the Private Messages.

I had to use O-ring to AN flare fittings instead of the usual NPT to AN flare fittings on most Lycomings for oil cooler. Trying to remember where I found them online.

Back