What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MicroTrak RTG Problem? Ideas

ScopeDope

I'm New Here
My MicroTrak RTG flashes green three times, then twice red, then nothing else when I add power. I thought it was a bad GPS, so replaced with another one. Same problem. Both of the GPS's work fine on another APRS unit (home built FA-8000). Any ideas why it won't continue flashing red until GPS locks in? :confused:
Doug

Check your connections. The little black, six-pin connector that plugs in right next to the LED sometimes works loose on mine. However after just now looking at mine, I realized this connector supplies both the GPS signal and power to the unit, so if you're getting the LED to illuminate, you're getting power connected so that's probably not your problem.

Sorry I couldn't help. Maybe some of these APRS gurus can help you when they drink their Monday morning coffee. Or maybe Microtrak can help you. I've had my RTG-FA about two months now and I changed the configuration today. It seems to be working great in my car, so this week I'll put it in the airplane and see what it'll do. I hope you get yours working okay. Let us know.

Don

P.S. Are you looking at it in daylight? I noticed my LED is a weak green in daylight, but much easier to see it on at night.

Last edited:
LED's on the RTG

The red light on the GPS 2 itself should flash red until it has valid signal acquisition, at which time it should go solid red. During this phase, the green LED on the RTG should be flashing, and then go solid when you have signal acquisition.

Do you mean your GPS never acquires signal at all, and just flashes red continuously?

If the green LED does not lock solid, your unit will never transmit except an initial status beacon on power-up with no position data. ( Assuming you did not change the default configuration, which is set to "Only Send Valid" )

If you chose to use "Smart Beaconing" in the setup, the unit will transmit very infrequently ( Depending upon the "Slow" setting.) So you may have to watch it for awhile to see a red transmit flash (Which actually is more yellow, since the red and green LED segments will be on simultaneously).

If you are not using a Byonics GPS, make sure the GPS you are using is sending 4800 baud serial NMEA data. The RTG will not be happy with other data rates.

Allen
VHS

Checked All

Thanks for all the tips, but I have checked them all.... the GPS does not have the red light -- though it works great with the other home-built unit... so it sure looks like the MicroTrak RTG is not powering the GPS for some reason. EVerything else seems to be okay. Any suggestions? Should I crack the case and look inside? What would I be looking for in the way of GPS power? Anybody know. Thanks again for the previous tips.

ScopeDope

Thanks for all the tips, but I have checked them all.... the GPS does not have the red light -- though it works great with the other home-built unit... so it sure looks like the MicroTrak RTG is not powering the GPS for some reason. EVerything else seems to be okay. Any suggestions? Should I crack the case and look inside? What would I be looking for in the way of GPS power? Anybody know. Thanks again for the previous tips.

ScopeDope

Cracking the case on the GPS will no doubt prove fatal ( to the GPS, not to you) Is this a Byonics GPS 2? The red light should be visible by looking carefully through the side of the case. If the unit is working with the one Micro-Trak but not the other, the first item to suspect would be the wiriing harness or connector. If you have a wiring harness that has a split red/black power cable, there is a good chance that you havea connector failure. Cables with the red/black power wires "zipped" together were the replacement for one vendors' less than awesome connector soldering. I will be happy to test/repair the RTG for you, if you ship it back to: VHS, 1370 Trancas Street, Suite 201, Napa, CA 94558 You should send the GPS, cable and RTG.

Allen
VHS

Back