VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-27-2018, 05:47 PM

Default Pirep on vinyl

[quote=Snowflake;1256109]Last edited by scrollF4 : Today at 04:20 PM. Reason: As you wish. (Quick... name the movie!)

Please just name the thread ďPirep on vinylĒ...Thanks!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:50 PM

Default Concerns about vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arablenz View Post
I have always had concerns about the vinyl partially letting go inflight and creating excess stress to crucial part of the airframe. Has this ever occurred and is it addressed by the manufacturers of these products?
I just spoke to one the guys here on the forum (dbc12) on the phone and asked him this exact question. He said that heís had vinyl graphics on his airplane for about 15 years now and has never had any problems with it. As a matter of fact, he said that he just changed up some of his graphics and the old vinyl was still holding fast and required a heat gun to remove it. He also said the the newer vinyls are even better than the old vinyl that he removed.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Bevan,
Iím a little scared to apply vinyl directly to the aluminum and thatís why Iím planning on a good solid basic white paint job and using the vinyl for the graphics. Priming instead of painting may be another option. How long has you vinyl been on? You havenít seen any sighs of corrosion?
No signs of corrosion. Itís been on for three years now. Nothing has come loose/off other than a little here/there that Iíve taken off. Not expecting anything coming loose as all the seams are facing aft or down. It looks like paint, most people canít tell itís not paint until they realize the finish is too perfect/uniform to be paint.

If you prime/paint first, there will be no weight savings, cost savings, or time savings. Almost no reason left to put vinyl on at that point other than for trim and the ident numbers.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 04-28-2018, 08:26 AM

Iíve been really happy with my vinyl so far. People gather around my airplane now. I just flew it in a nasty rain storm yesterday and the vinyl held up great nothing came loose or even looked any different.

Itís inky been done a few months but very happy so far.
If someone wants to post pics for me Iíd be happy to post some.
Cstockbird at aolsot com Iíll send pics

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:02 AM

RV-7 has been flying since November, about 100 hours on it now. Initially my plan was to vinyl wrap the whole thing. However, I ran into issues on the really tight curves around the cowling inlets and the tips of the horizontal stab, elevators, vertical stab, and rudder. After fully covering those, I was not happy with the results and peeled it off. Sent the cowlings, wing tips, wheel pants, vertical stab, rudder, horizontal stab, and elevators off to a real paint shop and had them professionally painted.

The rest of the aircraft including, the wings, flaps, ailerons, fuselage, and all fairings are fully wrapped in 3M 1080 Gloss White. The 3M white is extremely bright. Did not realize how bright it was until the paint shop tried to match it to matterhorn and other common whites. The wings are wrapped in two pieces each, with a seam about 6 inches behind the leading edge on the bottom. The fuselage is mainly 3 pieces, one left, one right, and one on the belly, with seams on the belly and one directly on the top which is only a couple feet long from the canopy slider track to the empennage fairing.

The stripes and checkers were applied using knifeless tape to mask out the design, then applying 3M 1080 Gloss Sterling Silver, and 3M 1080 Gloss Dark Red. I highly recommend the knifeless tape, this stuff is great. The 3M 1080 vinyl is also great, super forgiving to mistakes and very easy to work with.

The entire vinyl wrap looks good, but isn't perfect (done by a first time vinyl wrapper). The one thing that bugs me is the cowl paint and the vinyl white are a shade off, like i said before, the 3M white is EXTREMELY BRIGHT white. No issues with peeling so far, I flew through some heavy rain and it did chew up a little bit of the vinyl around the windshield, which has since been fixed. Vinyl was applied directly to the bare aluminum skin. I have absolutely no worries whatsoever about the vinyl coming off in flight or corrosion developing underneath. It would be impossible for any air or moisture to get underneath.

Overall, I'm happy with the final result, spent around $1500 on vinyl and it is supposedly lighter than paint, although I have no numbers to prove that. However, if I were to do it again, I would just paint the entire aircraft white and then use knifeless tape to create the vinyl stripes.

RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 100+hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
2018 dues paid.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:07 AM

Are the checkerboards on the tail and wings small squares of vinyl or printed? Cover it all with the black and then knifeless tape? Looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm757 View Post

Building RV-8A since September 2014 (N88VX reserved)
VAF build thread - Flickr project photo album - Project Facebook page
Flying a spam can, RV-12 and a few other RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)

Note: Opinions, information and comments posted by me on this site do not represent direction from or opinions of my employer.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:12 PM

I used that 3 m 1080 vinyl wrap (white ) on my 2008 Dodge Ram and itís slightly whiter but very livable. (Hardly noticeable) So if anyone was looking for a very close white Iíd say thatís the one to try.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Are the checkerboards on the tail and wings small squares of vinyl or printed? Cover it all with the black and then knifeless tape? Looks nice!
Thank you, All just layered vinyl, nothing printed except for the American Flag decal. Checkerboards done by laying out knifeless tape then a big sheet of vinyl and peeling out the extra squares with the tape.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 100+hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
2018 dues paid.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:12 PM

I have been on the fence with Vinyl, but I had a thought today while reading this post.

My scheme has 4 colors, and a lot of black pinstriping between colors to give it a little extra punch. In paint, that will cost dearly. I watched a 3 wire knifeless tape video today about butt joints with a pinstripe covering. It looks perfect for my application. Last up, I really wanted Pearl White instead of Aviation white, but I found a source for that as well, so there go those reasons against vinyl.

For the people that have worked with it, what do you think of the idea of covering the stabilizer first, see if I like the results, and then proceed?

If I don't like it, can I remove it without issue and revert to paint?

One last question, how do you handle semi-hidden areas like the ends of control surfaces, or hinged areas (between ailerons and wings, stabilzier and elevator, etc.)?

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 04-28-2018, 09:24 PM

Another question, did you take the tanks off and cover them separately from the wings or run the vinyl over both with the tanks on? If I could cover the cowl, would heat be a problem? Iím also planning to try some small parts first, if they donít work out how hard is it to remove? The blue film on Vans parts can be a bear to get off sometimes and I suppose 1080 sticks better?