What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Upgrade Advice

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
So I've begun initial planning to upgrade my panel from my current 2-screen legacy G3X to a 2-screen G3X touch (one 10" and one portrait 7"). I have a PSE audio panel, SL30, GTN650, TruTrak GX Pilot A/P, and a TruTrak Gemini backup PFD and aren't planning to replace any of those except the Gemini which I might replace with a G5.

I have a stock Van's instrument panel and plan to stick with that (albeit a new one) as I plan to retain my radios and their location is pretty much locked due to the necessary cutouts in the sub-panel.

So not being super smart on things G3X touch, can I retain any of the old G3X components (AHRS, magnetometer, OAT sensor, etc) for the upgrade? The magnetometer is the one item I'm most interested in knowing if I can keep as replacing it, while doable, will be a royal pain.

You can retain all your G3X components, the touch is plug-n-play with the non touch electrically.

You can retain all your G3X components, the touch is plug-n-play with the non touch electrically.

Thanks Walt! Now for a more subjective question -- is there any benefit to replacing my GSU 73 with a GSU 25? I suppose if I did I'd also have to get a GAD 29 and a GEA 24 as well?

Thanks Walt! Now for a more subjective question -- is there any benefit to replacing my GSU 73 with a GSU 25? I suppose if I did I'd also have to get a GAD 29 and a GEA 24 as well?

The 73 is large, cumbersome, hard to find a suitable mounting place for, has no AOA, uses HD pins and overall is difficult to access and work on. If it was me I would switch over to the much newer separates and never look back.

Back