What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Location for air-oil seperator in RV-4

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
I have a Raven air-oil seperator tank that I'm rying to find a good spot for. Currently I have it attached to the outside of the engine mount, just behind the engine. Unfortunately I cannot get it low enough to get the cowling on and still have the bottom of the tank above sump level - the fitting on top that takes oil from the breather pokes up quite a long way. Space is limited and tight - my next port of call would have to be the firewall, on the right side and as far over as possible, but I think there will then be interference between the 45* elbow on the bottom of the tank and the top of the rudder pedal forward extension.

Any good ideas or even better some photos would be really helpful.

I fly "gentleman's" aerobatics with some zero G or short periods of -ve G, and wanted to avoid having to clean the belly, but without the weight and fuss of a full inverted system - which must be even more difficult to avoid.

Thanks

Chris

My Location

Not much room, but this is the only place I had left to mount mine.
33pbygh.jpg
[/IMG]

Manged to get it done

So the answer is pretty obvious really, thanks for the pictures and tank type, which confimred it could be done.

So - mine is mounted on the engine mount using adel clamps one of which needed a couple of spacers before bolting the clamp to the tank mount. Get the tank down so that the top is just level with the top of the mount. Positon the inlet elbow (tube coming from the engine breather) towards the front/inside edge. Hey presto, the cowling fits.

Now - mine is on the right side as I wanted to put my oil cooler on the left. However, Randy - your tank I surmise is on the left side, which must give a much better run for the pipe between the engine breather and the tank inlet - so where have you put your oil cooler? On the firewall or somewhere more cunning?

Thanks

Chris

Oil Cooler

Hi Chris,
The Oil Cooler in the RV-4 is on the right side firewall. The left side location of the tank is ideal as it is very close to the breather outlet. With my RV-8 I had to put the tank on the other side though because the oil cooler takes up the right side space on that airplane.
Randy

Back