What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Fuse Primed?

EXTAAFLY

Well Known Member
Quick question, just about to start riveting the tail cone to the QB fuse. . .

It is my understanding that the fuse interior had a wash primer sprayed on it prior to departing the PI.

Looks like it to me. However, a local A&P dropped by the hangar yesterday and said, "that doesn't look like any wash primer I have seen."

Before we start riveting next week, just want to make sure I am correct There was a light primer sprayed on the interior. All the bulkheads and tail cone skins are primed because I did them.

Thanks

I?m in this same boat as you and I?m looking forward to the reply?s to your question

Mark

Definitely primed - the facility that Van's uses in the Philippines to build uses a version of wash primer (Sherwin Williams PG60G2 I think) that's tinted differently than what's used in USA. If you hold an un-primed part up next to a QB installed (interior part) you can see the difference in appearance.

Van's has a site that shows how this primer holds up - will try to find a link to it.

Last edited:
That is the way I understood it. But, when a professional cast doubt, just wanted to cover my bases.

Understood - I did QB wings and had done my own research on this topic. Just didn't want to unintentionally mislead. It's pretty easy to tell the difference in unprimed parts and the primed parts in the QB fuse/wings. I'm reasonably sure the reason the mechanic you mentioned hadn't seen primer like this is because it's unique to the source and Van's quick build kits.

Back