What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How can I tell if My Superior Engine has Roller Lifters?

McPilot

Looking at an RV that is for sale. It was built in 2008. How can I tell of the superior engine has roller lifters?

I have called Superior on numerous occasions and they are not so great about returning phone calls. Always a recording...

Regards

Mick

See if the seller has the original log book and paperwork. It will be there.

Lol thanks. That's kind of obvious. Don't have that right now. I was hoping for a serial number range or the appearance of the case. I noticed that some engines have bolts and safety wire over them. Not sure if this is true with Superior though.

Roller lifters were an option for Superior and should be indicated by the Model designation on the data plate. All the model number breakdowns should be on Superior's web site.

I have the roller lifters on my engine. I could have looked it all up for you, but all my manuals just got boxed up an moved while we are doing some house remodeling.

Roller Lifters

My Superior engine has safety wired bolts on top of the case where the pushrods exit the case. These bolts guide the roller lifters and prevent them from revolving in the housing. If an engine has mushroom lifters, these don't need guiding (in fact they are supposed to revolve to equalize face wear) and there will be no safety wired bolts on top of the case.

That vintage of superior engine with rollers lifters will have adjustable screws with lock nuts and safety wire installed top of lifter bore inboard of the pushrod tubes.

Larry

Thanks guys. I kind of figured they should have the nuts and safeties. I cannot locate any information on the various model designations on the superior site...

Has anyone had any luck with that?

Roller lifters were an option for Superior and should be indicated by the Model designation on the data plate. All the model number breakdowns should be on Superior's web site.

I have the roller lifters on my engine. I could have looked it all up for you, but all my manuals just got boxed up an moved while we are doing some house remodeling.

That vintage of superior engine with rollers lifters will have adjustable screws with lock nuts and safety wire installed top of lifter bore inboard of the pushrod tubes.

Larry

That is it. The hardware and safety wire on the crankcase above where the pushrods enter the case is the way that you tell on the Superior Crankcases.

Back