What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help: Accessory Case Gasket Set

Let's try another angle on this question...

When I don't get an answer, I'm probably not asking right.

So here's what I know... these gaskets I'm probably right on.

60096 LYCOMING GASKET-FUEL PUMP
60532 LYCOMING GASKET-ACCESSORY HOUSING
2x 45663 LYCOMING GASKET, MAGNETO
61183 LYCOMING ACCESSORY ADAPTER GASKET

But my oil sump extends under the accessory case housing and Lycoming makes so many oil sumps.

O-320-E3D... anyone know?

06B21509 LYCOMING GASKET-OIL SUMP
65099 LYCOMING GASKET-OIL SUMP
68172 LYCOMING GASKET-OIL SUMP
06B21326 LYCOMING OIL SUMP GASKET
76320 LYCOMING GASKET-OIL SUMP

If you don't know that... does anyone know where to find out? I've sent a support email to spruce too.

Thanks as always!

Last edited:
O-320-E3D

Engine had a prop strike (wood prop). My mechanic and many on here have said I need to remove the accessory case and replace the shear washer on the cam gear (woodrufff?).

"One thing to remember about cranks and prop strikes is that there are a couple of things that can go bad - one is that it gets bent, so yes you need to dial the flange. The other is that the sudden stop jars the bolt that holds the rear gear on the crankshaft, loosening it."

"Then at some point in the future, the bolt comes off, the gear comes off, and things get really quiet. This is why you can't JUST dial the flange after a strike - you have to check that bolt, which requires pulling the accessory case."
- Paul Dye, this link thread reference

Honestly... I'm extending myself some to learn more about engines here. So if I sound naive, that's cause I am. But I'm willing to learn and I do have an engine mechanic watching me.

Last edited:
First step, before anything else - get a printed copy in hand of the applicable Lycoming overhaul manual and Lyc parts catalog. This will help you see the variations between models, the assembly, and the steps Lyc recommends for various processes. Personally, I refer to mine often in order to recall how things are assembled and what may be causing this or that. You can find them online. But be sure you end up with the right one for your model (wide flange, -320 series, etc.).

Last edited:
Please review Lycoming SB 533B for additional information on prop strike inspection requirements. I think you will be surprised at how much other stuff they want you to do. Simply dialing the flange no longer cuts it.

I am following the above SB for an O-235-L2E then my O-360-A4M, which *likely* had prop damage when the airplane it was mounted on was destroyed in a wind storm.

Gears

The vast majority of Lycomings have integral gear camshaft. There will be capscrews holding the gear in place if you have the old style removeable camshaft gear.
The crankshaft gear is one of prop strike inspection items. The crank gear has a dowel pin, not a woodruff key. IIRC the main concern is the crank gear bolt, I believe this is mandatory replacement. The SB will tell you what to do with the dowel pin.
Sounds like your mechanic doesn't know a whole lot about the inside of a Lycoming.

Gaskets

Forgot to mention the normal assembly sequence is accessory case first. The gasket will hang down slightly below the mating surface for the sump. Trim the excess gasket material with a razor blade and then reinstall the sump with a new sump gasket.
If you try to do it without removing the sump you will be reusing the aft portion of the sump gasket.

gasket set

There is a crank bolt and gasket set you can get that fits most models for around 42.00. It includes the sump and accessory housing gaskets and all the gaskets on the accessory housing as well as the crank bolt and lock tab. The E2D should have the integral cam so you should not need anything for the cam.

Jesse
970-874-7575

There is a crank bolt and gasket set you can get that fits most models for around 42.00. It includes the sump and accessory housing gaskets and all the gaskets on the accessory housing as well as the crank bolt and lock tab. The E2D should have the integral cam so you should not need anything for the cam.

Jesse
970-874-7575

First useful post... thank you. I can't make heads or tails on how to buy gaskets for this thing. If you know where to get that set, let me know, sold!

First useful post... thank you. I can't make heads or tails on how to buy gaskets for this thing. If you know where to get that set, let me know, sold!

Please don't discount what you consider "not useful" posts. All of the comments were right on and should not be discounted. Prop strike inspections should not be taken lightly.
http://www.lycoming.com/portals/0/t...oppage, propeller-rotor strike or loss....pdf
Also-don't forget that the mags also require inspection after a prop strike.

Last edited:
Back