What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal question?

whd721

Well Known Member
Is it possible to apply proseal over an old application to stop a leak?

I have a leaking BNC connector in the tank. The tank was sealed several years ago, but I guess not leak checked. I could hear a shssssssss as soon as I applied pressure. The joys of buying a project.

I have searched this site for proseal patches, no luck.

Thanks

Is it possible to apply proseal over an old application to stop a leak?

I have a leaking BNC connector in the tank. The tank was sealed several years ago, but I guess not leak checked. I could hear a shssssssss as soon as I applied pressure. The joys of buying a project.

I have searched this site for proseal patches, no luck.

Thanks

yes, proseal over proseal is just fine.

If the back of the BNC connector was not encapsulated with Pro-seal, it will leak out of the center where the socket is. Cover the entire back of the connector and also coat the wire up a few inches all around it to ensure a leak free connector.

yes, proseal over proseal is just fine.

Same rules as the original application: scuff and clean with Naptha. Since there's a leak, allow the cleaner a little time to dry thoroughly since it will wick into the leak and take a little more time to evaporate. Brantel's advice is good; over a non-connector leak you go outside the lines a bit.

Thanks to all,

After spending the night thinking what to do next, I concluded I have no option but pulling the access plate and re-gooping. I will attempt to complete the pressure test with soapy water and find any other leaks first. I will have to keep pumping as the water level drops continually.

The tank has obviously never been pressure tested or filled with fuel so it should be clean and very well cured. I may find no proseal on the BNC as leaked very loudly. I found the leak by ear. Ohh Wellll!

I have discovered the the time saved by buying a half completed project is returned in searching and finding "opp's " and working out repairs.

This is for fun isn't it?

side note

If this bnc is for a capacitance system, please remember as you work on it that the connector should be electrically bonded to the tank. If you remove it and re-install make sure you have a good bond (no proseal) in between one side of the connector and the tank. Check with an ohm meter for continuity in between the connector and the tank when you are done. This reading should be zero ohms or very very close to it. Also check from center pin of connector to tank, this should read "open"or "infinitive", very high resistance. Also as mentioned before make sure and seal the wire at the connection to the connector on the inside of tank.

bird

I was able to remove the screws from the fuel tank access panel.

What is the "best" way to break the proseal seal around the access plate?

One tank is leaking around the BNC connector, the other is leaking abound several of the attach brackets. Boy was this thing not pressure tested!

Will I have success Prosealing around the outside of the bases of the attach brackets? I thought I would attempt to seal the outside first before I have to open the tank.

A plastic putty knife works. Less chance of gouging the metal.
As for the sealing of the brackets.. Inside would work best. Sealing on the outside would just make the fuel find another escape route. And it will find it in time.

Back