What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop recommendation for RV9a

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Looking for a prop for the RV9a, it has a O-320 E2D (160hp).
Please let me hear some recommendations and if anyone has a prop for sale.
Leaning towards CS but please let me hear you opinions.
Thanks

Don't think the E2D is set up for a constant speed prop unless it has been modified during an overhaul.

The metal Sensenich is a good prop but you will also get recommendations for a Catto.

Don't think the E2D is set up for a constant speed prop unless it has been modified during an overhaul.

The metal Sensenich is a good prop but you will also get recommendations for a Catto.

Got it, i will have to check if it is modified

I have a brand new Sensenich O-320, 2 1/4" spacer, 3/8"bolt, 79" pitch
Part Number = PROP 70CM6S9-0 (79) (I need to verify the part number)
Price = $3575.00 new from Van's. Came with my IO-320 RV-9A kit. New in box and never mounted. I am going C/S so do not need. Would sell for $3000 plus shipping.

I have a brand new Sensenich O-320, 2 1/4" spacer, 3/8"bolt, 79" pitch
Part Number = PROP 70CM6S9-0 (79) (I need to verify the part number)
Price = $3575.00 new from Van's. Came with my IO-320 RV-9A kit. New in box and never mounted. I am going C/S so do not need. Would sell for $3000 plus shipping.

Good to know David!
I will need to check into our engine to see if it will accept a CS, if not i will keep that in mind!
Thanks for the reply

Prop for RV-9A

Check for RPM restricted speeds on fixed pitch props. That's just one of many reasons I'm going with a CS.

Check for RPM restricted speeds on fixed pitch props. That's just one of many reasons I'm going with a CS.

The only F/P prop for the RV series that I know of that has an RPM limitation is the Sensenich 70CM series.

Would be great to get info from guys flying RV9a with a O-320 (160hp) setups to help on our decision!
Thanks

Sensenich

I have the sensenich FP mentioned above on my 4, but will put it on my 9 when I rebuild it.

For me the RPM restriction does not matter I can cruise up to 180 mph but spend most of the time at about 2200 and keep the fuel burn down. that is about 140mph.

The sensenich is a great prop

Would be great to get info from guys flying RV9a with a O-320 (160hp) setups to help on our decision!
Thanks

I have used both the Catto two blade and now the whirlwind ground adjustable. Both props perform the same in my opinion. My Catto was a bit underpitched, or at least so I thought, and I did not want to wait for a repitch, had a buyer for it so I installed a whirlwind ground adjustable which was readily available. The GA is 2" more diameter, equally as smooth. I adjust it in the winter when I dont need the climb performance. Will probably need to add one more degree of pitch now that I installed two Pmags.

Both props top out at 158-162 KTAS on any given day/altitude. 65% power is usually about +/-140 KTAS and 75% power usually +/-150 KTAS.

Have never flown a Sensi (GA or Metal). Comparing to BruceH, who has a Sensi GA and same plane, I think he has similar speeds but with his fuel injection and dual Pmags gets less GPH running LOP.

Most my flights are no higher than 6.5, would really like to spend some time up high (12-14) to get the most value out of my -9A.

The Sensi GA has preset pin holes for setting pitch, which makes it easier. The Whirlwind has infinite pitch settings but both blades are set seperately, which is more difficult. I can repitch the blades in about 30-45 minutes.

Catto, Sensi and Whirlwind all have Nickel Leading Edges (or at least options for NLE, which i would not pass on). The NLE on my whirlwind looks like new after 200 hours. I also had an MT prop on my 182 with NLE and it too seemed indestructible to FOD.

I would like to try a three blade Catto some time or a whirlwind Constant Speed. The constant speed would make for a pretty heavy -9A though and it would be a pain to add the controls.

Can't go wrong with any above but the FP Metal Sensi is probably the least expensive. I sold my Catto to an RV-6A guy who swapped it for his metal Sensi; he could not get his RPMs up with the the metal club but boy did he have a grin on his face after flying that two blade Catto for the first time.

Hope this helps.

Unless you are going to do formation, the -9(A) doesn't really need a CS prop.

I have flown my -9 with two different engines; first a 135 hp O-290D2 and now with a 180+ HP O-360. Both had Catto props bolted to the front.

With the small engine I would see climb rates of 1600 fpm when lightly loaded and over 1200 fpm at gross on a hot day. My typical 65% power cruise speed was 140 knots (160 mph) with the small engine.

With the O-360 I can easily climb at 1600 FPM, more, if lightly loaded. Cruise speeds are typically in the 50 to 55% power, LOP, at 150 to 155 knots and 7 GPH. If I push it 75% ROP, then it will go right to 175 knots and drink the fuel.

All that said, it sure is a kick in the pants accelerating with a CS prop! On the other side, the -9 is a glider with FP prop, so the approaches are slightly different.

If I were to put a CS prop on my -9, it would be a composite prop to keep the weight down.

Do you need one? No.

Any rv'ers using a electric CS MT prop that could tell me their experiences from installing to performance? Thanks

Can anyone post their 9A experience with the Sensenich ground adjustable composite prop?

I've been flying with one for 450 hours now. Love it. Looks swoopy, lightweight on the nose wheel, no RPM limits, smooth running, and easily adjustable with the pins they provide. I've had it on setting #4 to start with and found it just a bit under pitched, so I moved it to setting #5, and it gets me through the air at about 150 Knots, at 9,000 ft. spinning at 2500 RPM.

My only complaints so far have been that I have had to fix a couple of chips on the back side of the blade. There isn't much depth to the composite surface that sits on top of the metal leading edge on the back side of the blade. Easy to repair with epoxy and cabosil, but I've had to do it 4 times now.

My experience is like Bruces above except no repairs needed. After trying a 3 blade Catto, and the Sensenich metal I like this one the best. My plane is a bit faster because of the little wheel in the back.

Catto vs. Sensinich ground Adjustable

(Jrskygod My experience is like Bruces above except no repairs needed. After trying a 3 blade Catto, and the Sensenich metal I like this one the best. My plane is a bit faster because of the little wheel in the back.)

Jrskygod......Can you elaborate as to why you prefer the Sensinich over the 3 blade Catto? I'm trying to decide which one to go with. Also, since you have a tailwheel (like mine), how did your CG come out?...Ok? Need a weight up front. My engine is the IO360L2A, which is really either 180HP or 160HP depending on how I pitch the prop. But I plan to get 180 since I'm at 5700 ft. Feel free to PM if needed. Thx for the information.

Open to your input as well Bruce. Nice purple paint. :)

Ed - I like the adjustability of the Sensenich. The Catto is a quality prop and many like them. I needed to turn my Catto 2700 to get the same true airspeed as the metal Sensenich would give me at 2600. I needed to send the Catto back for a repitch and the cost of that shipping was expensive. I decided to just sell it and go with an adjustable prop. The Sensenich gits rid of the 2600 rpm redline which the metal prop had, and is 4k faster than the metal at 2600. If I want to turn it to 2700 and burn more gas I can do that also. It is just as smooth as the Catto was and I have had several comments about that. To get the CG back where I kike it, I use a Landoll harmonic dampener. The weight of the prop and dampener at 11.5# are within 1 pound of the weight of the Sensenich metal. I made three pitch adjustments and like the last one I did best which is kinda more cruise than climb. Pitch adjustments are easy and once you decide which works for you you probably wont change it, at least I haven't seen the need in over a year. Oh- did I tell you its a good looking prop - kinda aggressive looking I've been told on multiple occasions.

Thanks for the info. Other questions....did you go with the wood/composite spinner option from vans? What fits best with your prop?

do they make the dampener with different weights?

Ed for my install I used the spinner that Sensenich provides and I also needed a spacer that I got from Saber Mfg.

The Landoll harmonic balancer is no longer available. Sometimes a landoll weighted ring or balancer will appear for sale. With the Sensenich prop any weight you add to the nose will probably need to be on the ring gear carrier (flywheel). I would see if Saber can make one.

Thanks for the info. Other questions....did you go with the wood/composite spinner option from vans? What fits best with your prop?

do they make the dampener with different weights?

Catto, Whirlwind and Sensenich all offer precut spinners. I know for sure with the whirlwind, everything forward of the starter ring is provided, complete with nut plates installed and everything.

I dont believe its real common to need to add weight to the nose of a -9A

Thanks Derek......I'm building the 9 Tail wheel . But there have been quite a few 9's with the lighter composite props. Would like to keep as much baggage payload as possible.

Ed,
I think you will find that since you are using the IO-360 that you will have plenty of weight up front. I run the Catto three blade with a IO-320 and am only tail heavy when out of fuel, 100# baggage and both passengers.

Wood prop

Recently completed my 9 (converted from 9a) build with an 0320 160 hp.
Sterba wood prop, standard vans spacer. Empty weight 1025

I'm 190 lbs, with min fuel (5 gal) and 75 lbs baggage, I am still within
CG limits. My goal was to build light.

First flight hopefully soon.

Last edited:
1025 lbs! Wow, Congrats Al. That will be a nice flying bird.

Good info Mark.....and you have a sharp looking 9. Love the paint.

My L2A has the lightest dry weight of all the IO360's at 278lbs. So that should work out nicely and be right around your 320 weights. Actually my engine is the same one used on the 172R/S models ....rated for 160HP with the option of 180HP at 2700 RPM. That's why I figured I'd prop for 2700 RPM Max.

We have nearly 800 hours on our -9A with a Catto 3-blade ahead of 160 HP engine. At 8500 feet of density altitude we consistently get 155-158 knots TAS at 75% power.

Back