What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Panel with ADSB Upgrade Opinions?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi All,

I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my panel when I go ADSB compliant.

I am cool with steam gauges as that's what I learned on.

So a mix of both steam and glass would be preferred to be IFR capable. (want to do get my IFR ticket in the 6a)

What does everyone have? Like?

Thanks,
D

Man, I couldn't be happier to be rid of the analog stuff. Especially, the precessing directional!!

I thought the same thing as you when I was looking. I had all Skyhawk time for the most part and never felt I needed anything else in the panel. I'll make a bold statement and say you will never regret going digital. I have redundant instruments in the plane (both analog and digital). That's the way the builder thought it should look. And sadly I use the AS, VS and Altimeter in analog format because they directly surround my EFIS. I'd much rather have the EFIS only. At any rate, I fly the EFIS on map all the time anyway. Having a big moving map mounted in front of me instead of having a small, battery operated one stuck to a window or the yoke has been WONDERFUL! No cords or low batteries anymore. And by the time you do it, you will also benefit from real-time Wx and TFR's and traffic, and...

I love the plane I bought, but I haven't stopped tinkering with it, or wishing I could move some things around in the panel.:)

Hey Andy, thanks for the heads up. I would be open to full glass but man... does it scare me.

FWIW I went full IFR glass (Dynon) back in 2013 and am so glad I did. Now I prefer it over steam. YMMV :cool:

FWIW I went full IFR glass (Dynon) back in 2013 and am so glad I did. Now I prefer it over steam. YMMV :cool:

Same here - and I'm scared when flying a friend's RV-8 that has a full GPS IFR six pack. There is simply no comparison for situational awareness. The iPad I use in the RV-8 running ADS-B in is close to useless compared to the SkyView.

I do have an analog airspeed on the RV-10 panel along with the two 10" SkyView displays and tend to use that for take off and landing. I added it mainly because I had it and have the room.

Carl

Speaking as one who has experienced an EFIS roll inverted at just 50 AGL in IMC on takeoff, I was glad to have some round instruments left in the panel. As a result of this, I stayed with a 6 inch EFIS and some round instruments when I upgraded the panel most recently. An EFIS brings much to the table but think about what you would do if it went T.U. like mine did. Some will add redundant glass, that works too. Personally I find an analog airspeed indicator easier to interpret with just a glance.

Another vote for it here. I fly a newer (but still steam) 172 as well as my all-glass Dynon 9A, and I don't have any trouble transitioning from one to the other but I MUCH prefer my glass panel.

I'm in the glass camp too, but there are some questions you need to ask yourself, especially for IFR.

IFR means different things to different people. Are you just intending on popping up through the clouds to get on top, or are you prepared to fly for hours in IMC. How you answer some of these questions may be different depending on your answer.

Go through a self assessment of everything in the panel. Ask yourself the following questions.

• What would happen if this device/function stopping working?
  • How would I know it stopped working?
  • If there are more than two (i.e. ADAHRS), can you tell which one is the one that just went bad?
  • What are all the potential failure modes that could happen?
  • How would you handle each failure mode?
    [*]Is there a manual process that will work?
    [*]Will you need to provide some physical redundant backup? (i.e. a third device to break ties or perhaps analog gauges)​

Also, I would recommend a autopilot for flying in IMV with a RV-6A. It's not a requirement, but it sure will make life easier if you are the only pilot.

Here's an example:

If you have a Skyview EFIS controlling the servos directly, what would you do if the PFD fails? Hand fly, so now your busier than a one arm paper hanger? Or install an independent AP head in which is all you have to do is push one button and it flews level on the current course and buys you plenty of think time and your hands are free to troubleshoot the issue at hand. There is no correct answer to this scenario and the odds of something going completely bad are slim. But I have seen an EFIS reboot automagically in flight. How would you handle that in IMC?

With that said, please be careful when you are planning redundancy in your panel. Its very easy to start installing an infinite level of redundancy making your panel more complex than it needs to be and perhaps adding more failure points.

My intent is to work on getting my IFR ticket in the 6a and then have the ability to fly more places without the major worry about VRF weather rules. I don't want or intend to be flying in IMC but want the ability to get out of it or fly above it with the knowledge that me and my ship can handle it.

I have been enjoying my new autopilot all summer and feel modestly more comfortable having a safety option in case I need help in the clouds some day. But as it stands so far, I have not put myself anywhere near that situation yet.

I would love to get an instrument rating as well, but I would have to redo my entire panel (something I am not capable of at the moment). I hope to be able to retire someday and take myself off the "clock." That should solve most of my weather problems. But everyday until then, I'll have to play it safe on X/C trips...:(

Yeah, the back of my panel is a birds nest and it drives me up the wall. So my thinking is upgrade to get the benefit of IFR capability and clean up the backside.

My plane was the test bed for aerosance FADEC and there are so many wires back there, it's mind blowing. I probably used 20 zip ties just to keep the wires from falling into the passengers lap.

it needs a clean-up desperately.

Speaking as one who has experienced an EFIS roll inverted at just 50 AGL in IMC on takeoff, I was glad to have some round instruments left in the panel.
Hence the need for proper backup, even with a steam panel. Just that the probability of a steam failure is greater than a EFIS failure.

FWIW: this is my panel.

Completed%20panel%20on%20ground.jpg

Speaking as one who has experienced an EFIS roll inverted at just 50 AGL in IMC on takeoff, I was glad to have some round instruments left in the panel. As a result of this, I stayed with a 6 inch EFIS and some round instruments when I upgraded the panel most recently. An EFIS brings much to the table but think about what you would do if it went T.U. like mine did. Some will add redundant glass, that works too. Personally I find an analog airspeed indicator easier to interpret with just a glance.

AMEN on back up and interpretation. I had both EFIS start spinning right before going in the soup for an approach. Had to continue using the needles on the spinning display which was a bit disconcerting. I would be hard to convince to go 100% EFIS. The steam saved my bacon as my panel was designed to do.

If I had to do it again, I would keep most of the steam, add Garmin GTN750.
Have some form of ADSB IN and Out. and my Garmin Pilot App on ipad.
Maybe an LCD engine analyzer.

Steam.. No way!

My RV7 panel...

How about a Garmin G5 and a Sandia SAI340 to back up the G3X with dual ADAHRS, this gives you 3 indipendannt attitude sources displayed all the time.

If you want to go a step further I can switch the MFD to a PFD and display ADAHRS#2 data, this would give you 4 attittude displays :eek:

IMG7671-650.jpg

Back