What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (April 2013) Dynon Products Announced!

SteinAir

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Not speaking directly for Dynon, I noticed that this news hadn't yet made VAF so I thought I'd share it. Here are some basic details on the new Dynon Comm Radio as well as their 2 place Intercom:

SV-COM-C25 RADIO
By integrating tightly with the SkyView system, the SV-COM-C25 allows pilots to tune frequencies by airport and station type - rather than by spinning in a number - at the touch of a button. Or, when using SkyView's mapping features, SkyView can send frequencies directly to the radio from its airport information pages. Dual concentric knobs let you spin in frequencies the old-fashioned way for when you're feeling nostalgic (or listening to ATC instructions). SkyView will identify the airport and station type as you tune to help ensure you're talking to the right radio station.

Other features include dual watch, fully backlit and auto-dimming controls, one-touch flip-flop with remote trigger ability, transmit and receive indicators (with active/standby receive differentiation), and a stuck mic indicator with transmit time-out.

The SV-COM-C25 is expected to be available in June 2013 for $1,295. It comes in horizontal and vertical versions; 25 kHz spacing only; not TSO'd.

SV-INTERCOM-2S
The SV-INTERCOM-2S has ample inputs to handle the technology in modern instrument panels. These include: dual muting inputs (one stereo, for music), four non-muting inputs (one stereo for capable EFIS systems such as SkyView; the rest mono for radios and other avionics), dual stereo headset connections, and dual radio outputs.

Although the SV-INTERCOM-2S was designed to integrate well with Dynon SkyView, it can be installed in ANY experimental or light sport aircraft, even those without other Dynon products in the panel.

Selectable Auto Mute automatically turns down the music when a radio or other non-muting input (such as an EFIS alert) receives audio. A single knob press toggles whether or not intercom speech mutes music as well. To minimize background noise, the SV-INTERCOM-2S has independent intercom voice activation, so talking on one headset won't open up squelch on the other. Radio broadcasts are isolated so only the person pressing their PTT is heard over the air, with the pilot's transmission receiving priority when both PTTs are pressed. A failsafe connection between the primary radio and the pilot's headset allow radio transmissions in all conditions.

The SV-INTERCOM-2S is expected to be available in June 2013 for $295. Horizontal and Vertical faceplates are included, as are headset jacks; not TSO'd.

Note that the pictures below aren't necessarily actual size, but rather what I could get done with my limited photoshop skills!

Cheers,
Stein

PS...I put this in the "Glass Panel" section as it specifically relates to the Dynon EFISes, but if a mod is more comfortable with it being in the COMM section I have no argument!

8632741754_f8ac05acb4.jpg
8632741778_45ede74802.jpg

8632741782_65739eab81.jpg

8632742006_e3ca2399f9.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, it sure takes some of the wind out of Garmins recent news! I just love competition!

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm a ways off from panel-building, but Garmin looked pretty attractive with their recent releases. It's nice to see Dynon responding...they were sort of my first love when I started looking at avionics. (you know, about a year before I even ordered my tail kit...:rolleyes: )

I have to admit, I have a bit of a tendency to want to side with the underdog anyway.

Since Stein "beat Dynon" to the announcement here on VAF and the subsequent posting about the New COMM radio and xcom in the COMM section by the Dynon REP was closed; is this the place to start the discussion on the comm radio and intercom? Seem like the closed thread in the comm section would be.

I thought this was more of an announcement thread and the discussion would be in the comm section... my logic is skewed sometimes though.

Philip, thanks!

I needed to think about who is the underdog? A company with 60 employees devoted to experimental aviation, including 20 engineers, 17 pilots, 8 experimental aircraft, which has been making glass panels possible for 13 years? I don't think Team-D is the underdog!

:)

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

Geico,
What are you asking us about the transponder? We've sold one connected to SkyView for almost 2.5 years now, and it's a full Mode-S with ADS-B out transponder, fully certified, and up to date with the latest TSO's.

Sigh

This integrated audio panel / intercomm / comm radio approach is what I've been hoping for, and I think it will be a big hit. Unfortunately, it is a two place intercomm and I am finishing up an RV-10..............time to cut a hole for a PAR 100EX? So close........

Vor/gs

Is a vor and a glide slope receiver is in the plan for the Futur
I am planing the panel for my rv-7. Am really not there yet but always read on new stuff. The big hit is always the gps and nav radio. I love the sl-30 that was in my old rv-7 and in my rv-10 but for the price that it cost...

I need a nav radio in my IFR panel but there is not too much option avalable on the market.

Would it be a good oportunity? If there is something cheaper than the 4000 + $ of the other nav/com. Avalable I am sure there would be a lot of buyer. There is the nav 2000 from val avionic but still not avalable

By the way, i just paid 750$ in repair and shipping for one connector of my sl30. The avionic shop said that garmin don't authorize in house repair. It always need to be return for a flat rate repair 500$. A friend ( retired radio guy) opened it before and found the problem. It was a ribbon connector badly installed from the face plate to the radio. It took him 5 min to find the trouble. He didn't had the connector so went to the avionic shop. I didn't need a overhaul but just the connector. They didn't want to open and repair. So it cost me 750$ for one connector. In homebuilt when you are use to repair yourself, it's big money for one connector.

Last edited:
This integrated audio panel / intercomm / comm radio approach is what I've been hoping for, and I think it will be a big hit. Unfortunately, it is a two place intercomm and I am finishing up an RV-10..............time to cut a hole for a PAR 100EX? So close........

Hi Andy,

I think the intercom is more aimed at the 2 seat market and not necessarily at the 4 seat IFR machines so the PAR might still be a good choice for you.

Cheers,
Stein

Since Stein "beat Dynon" to the announcement here on VAF and the subsequent posting about the New COMM radio and xcom in the COMM section by the Dynon REP was closed; is this the place to start the discussion on the comm radio and intercom? Seem like the closed thread in the comm section would be.

I thought this was more of an announcement thread and the discussion would be in the comm section... my logic is skewed sometimes though.

Sure, why have three threads going when one will do the job??

This is fantastic news since I had decided on Dynon 4 years ago and locked in with their autopilot servo in the wing, and more recently their ADHRS and servo in the fuselage. Comm and intercom were the last two items for me (VFR mission). However if Dynon would come out with an IFR-legal GPS that would be the icing on the cake. Then I would take IFR training in my own homebuilt.

I am in agreement with the rest of the guys posting on here about Dynon coming back in it swinging. I am on my wings and just installed my gretz pitot mount last night, when I was finished I had a feeling of frustration with the looming decision of what in the world will slide into that work of art. This has definitely helped to ease the electrons flowing in this noogin of mine. I am a very low time VFR pilot/ 10 year aircraft mechanic that won't be able to utilize many of the options todays avionics provide us for some time, but I did find great joy in the first non-precision approach I flew and hope to venture back in that direction once I get this thing in the air and familiar with it.

Last edited:
Is the radio a stand alone unit or does it need to be part of a bigger system? Same for the transponder?

thanks, Bruce

Is the radio a stand alone unit or does it need to be part of a bigger system? Same for the transponder?

thanks, Bruce

I'm no expert on the radio yet, but the transponder at this time only works with the Skyview EFIS (or AFS). While it is made by Trig, it is not the same as the rest of the available Trig units and has a unique interface.

With the radio, it is my understanding that in order to fully utilize some of the neat features the radio needs to be integrated with the Skyview EFIS, though I think the intercom can be used by anyone. I'm still learning with the rest of you so I'll let the Dynon folks expound on details.

Cheers,
Stein

The transponder we have had for years uses an EFIS as the control head, and thus needs an EFIS to control and configure it. We recently started offering it to other EFIS companies and AFS also has the ability to control it. We have no plans for a stand-alone transponder.

The Radio requires a SkyView system. It uses SkyView to do the initial configuration, and does things like using the database in SkyView for the neat features (while also not requiring another database subscription just for your radio). The radio data all shows up on the top of SkyView in full color and I think you'll find you use that as the primary interface.

The radio does work if SkyView fails, but you lose the unique tuning features, and you have to go back to the old way of actually tuning using frequency instead of just pressing "TWR". So old school! However, you don't have all your eggs in the SkyView basket with our radio since it does have it's own screen and knobs to control it if something bad happens. We also think dedicated knobs for volume and frequency are just flat out the right interface for a radio, not sub-menus in an EFIS.

The intercom has no software inside and doesn't even care if it's in an airplane, so it will work with any other avionics. It does have a lot of nice inputs that play great with any EFIS system. It is focused on 2 place aircraft, and it isn't a good fit for something like an RV-10.

A certified GPS navigator would be nice, but that is a very long way off. The certification requirements there are pretty onerous and there's a reason the competition is thin given the development dollars required. Think 8 digits, maybe 9.

Dynon's Press Release said:
For the IFR pilot, SkyView's new autopilot features include VNAV, IAS Hold, mode sequencing, fully-coupled approaches, a Flight Director with single cue (v-bars) or dual cue (crosshairs) presentation, and more. These new features complete the system by building on existing modes such as heading hold, GPS ground track hold, altitude hold, and control wheel steering.
So, to clarify something I posted last week, Dynon shows "VNAV" capability. Is this true Vnav, A'la 737 whereby you can overfly a waypoint at a certain altitude or the autopilot will commence and manage a descent based on flight-plan data, or is it simply GS coupling?

Given the press release mentions Vnav and fully-coupled approaches, I'm a little confused as to what I will really have with version 6.0. With the Version 6.0 documents yet to be uploaded to Dynon's website can one ofthe Dynon guru's clarify this?

Intercom

I see the intercom will handle two comm radios.

How are the audio outputs selected between the two, and how do you pick which one is transmitted on?

Any simple external hook up diagrams available?

KRviator,
The update is to the autopilot. This means it couples to the glideslope input from a ILS radio or GPS. It is not an update to the mapping software that allows you to program complex vertical paths.

However, the autopilot includes sequencing. So you can command a altitude, a climb, an IAS hold, or whatever you want and the AP will hold that until it intercepts. This is true for lateral modes too, you can tell it to hold heading 123 until intercepting the localizer.

If you have a navigator that will output VPATH and command climbs and descents, we can follow those.

Gil,
To run two radios, you put a SPDT switch somewhere on the panel that defines which radio you transmit on. We don't have all the wiring diagrams available yet, but it is a very simple connection. You're just taking the PTT switch out of the intercom and sending it to the radio you want. The intercom does everything else.

KRviator,
The update is to the autopilot. This means it couples to the glideslope input from a ILS radio or GPS. It is not an update to the mapping software that allows you to program complex vertical paths.

Maybe this is just semantics, but there is no glidesope in a GPS approach. There is a glidepath. Glideslope is a radio frequency defined path requiring an ILS frequency.

Will it couple to a stand alone GPS vertical path?

If you have a navigator that will output VPATH and command climbs and descents, we can follow those.

This makes me believe so, but wanted to be sure.

Mark

Last edited:
Radio 8.33

Great system! I plan to install Skyview in my RV-9A end of the year. What about the 8.33 spacing for the radio in Europe? Do you work well on it?

Greetings from Germany, Knut

Great system! I plan to install Skyview in my RV-9A end of the year. What about the 8.33 spacing for the radio in Europe? Do you work well on it?

Greetings from Germany, Knut

I have a flying RV8 with dual SV, I am interested in the new radio/intercom (keeping my "old" radio as the Dynon intercom can deal with 2 radios). But as Knut, what about the 8.33 spacing ?
Overall, great system !:)

Garmin vs. Dynon

The first guys to produce a fully integrated 10" touch screen fight deck at the current price point is going to be the WINNER!!!! The G-1000 is almost there for $90K :D

Gil,
To run two radios, you put a SPDT switch somewhere on the panel that defines which radio you transmit on. We don't have all the wiring diagrams available yet, but it is a very simple connection. You're just taking the PTT switch out of the intercom and sending it to the radio you want. The intercom does everything else.

So you select which radio you listen to with the volume knobs on the Comms rather than a switch select?

Maybe this is just semantics, but there is no glidesope in a GPS approach. There is a glidepath. Glideslope is a radio frequency defined path requiring an ILS frequency.

Mark,
We're aware of the semantics between Glideslope, Glidepath, and Vertical Path. The Dynon autopilot will follow any of these if your radio or GPS outputs them. Technically, the autopilot will follow anything that shows up on the vertical deviation bar on the HSI.

Gil,
You turn down the volume on the radio(s) that you don't want to hear. The intercom has two radio inputs, so you can listen to both at the same time if you want. If you use the external switch to turn off the input then you can't use both radios at the same time.

The new Dynon radio was designed to be affordable and thus we did not design it for 8.33kHz spacing. I it cannot be modified in software. We are interested in a future 8.33kHz product but we have no plans to introduce one at present.

So, then next is...

From Dynons Website:
COMING SOON: In the next several months. (We are working on many features in parallel, and every item requires extensive testing before we release it. So this schedule is not a guarantee of the release date of any specific feature.)

* Weather

* Enhanced mapping and charting... more data at your finger tips

TOP SECRET: No schedule yet, but these are some of new features we are working on to continue to enhance your SkyView System. We're not telling all that we are planning... sometimes we like to surprise everyone.

* Coupled autopilot vertical navigation

* SkyView Com radios

* Highway-in-the-Sky

I see quite a few items on this list than can be checked of as "complied with"- congratulations Dynon for the months of hard work paying off and much to show for it. So then my next question is, since there is plenty of time until I actually get my 7 into the air, you will most likely have another one of these checked off the list, but I have been thinking lately with all of the announcements going on, how about Dynon releases a fully capable "Aerobatics Coupled Autopilot". One that when you get to a preset altitude, you simply push a button and it performs a nice lazy eight to get comfortable, then transitions to a smooth split S, followed by an effortless hammerhead that is rolled into inverted spin and continued on to make even Team Aerodynamics jealous. Then all my invisible friends on the ground will gasp in amazement and think I am just the coolest thing since sliced bread.:eek: I am sure Kahuna could write all the software and protocol for it in his spare time for the good of the RV world. Any one else agree that this is one of the greatest ideas ever?

...but I have been thinking lately with all of the announcements going on, how about Dynon releases a fully capable "Aerobatics Coupled Autopilot".

Well that is cool, but how about this. Dynon can release the Auto-Formation Auto-Pilot, automatically flies in tight formation with similarly equipped aircraft. Communicates with the other aircraft in the formation with WiFi network, flying the pre-programmed flight in perfect harmony with others. They could announce this with a massive 100-ship formation at Airventure. Sure to be a real crowd-pleaser, and would make formation flying accessible even to those with vernier throttles.

RV-12 Avonics

Does anyone know if Van's will offer an alternate RV12 avionics package that replaces the Garman radio and the intercom with the skyview radio and intercom? I'm ready to order my avonics kit, but have been holding off waiting for the skyview announcement

COM/NAV

What about NAV? Thank you for bringing a value priced COM solution to market, but I would also like to see a Dynon NAV radio. How far out is that?

Thank you for bringing a value priced COM solution to market...

??????

FLIGHTLINE FL-760: $699.00
MICROAIR M760: $893.00
Certified TKM MX-11: $949.00
MGL V10: $1,065
MGL V6: $1,095
ICOM A210: $1,195.00
Certified DITTEL KRT2: $1,236.00
ATS KRT2: $1250.00
Certified VAL COM 2000: $1,259.00
Dynon SV-COM-C25: $1,295.00
Certified BECKER AR 4201: $1,385.00
Certified Garmin GTR 225: $1,798.00

??????

FLIGHTLINE FL-760: $699.00
MICROAIR M760: $893.00
Certified TKM MX-11: $949.00
MGL V10: $1,065
MGL V6: $1,095
ICOM A210: $1,195.00
Certified DITTEL KRT2: $1,236.00
ATS KRT2: $1250.00
Certified VAL COM 2000: $1,259.00
Dynon SV-COM-C25: $1,295.00
Certified BECKER AR 4201: $1,385.00
Certified Garmin GTR 225: $1,798.00

only one of those integrates with skyview, so the rest are irrelevant.

only one of those integrates with skyview, so the rest are irrelevant.

Maybe to you but not to everyone. The OP referred to the "market" not to the "Skyview" system. This new radio is not for "the market", it is exclusive to the "Skyview" only. The point is that there are many value priced COM's already on the market. Nothing against the new Dynon offering. Looks like it will be a nice option for Skyview users. Just keep in mind that all those options for value priced COM's don't need to integrate with the Skyview to be effective.

Last edited:
Maybe to you but not to everyone. The OP referred to the "market" not to the "Skyview" system. This new radio is not for "the market", it is exclusive to the "Skyview" only. The point is that there are many value priced COM's already on the market. Nothing against the new Dynon offering. Looks like it will be a nice option for Skyview users. Just keep in mind that all those options for value priced COM's don't need to integrate with the Skyview to be effective.

I agree with Brian.
I would like to see an affordable Nav/Com for our market that is not dedicated to one particular system...

SnF hands on?

So did anyone get a chance to put their hands on any of the new products while they were at SnF? Any info from the Dynon guys that they found useful?

pilot isolate

2 q's:

1: Any way to isolate the pilot so the ranting wife in the back won't be heard over the new intercom? :)

2: Can a stereo music input be hard wired instead of running a plug to the front of the faceplate?

The intercom does not include any isolation modes.

There is a direct connection for music on the back as well. You can wire this up, and it will be used as long as nothing is plugged in the front.

The volume knob is intercom volume. It does not affect radio or EFIS volume. This is pretty standard in any intercom. Thus, you can turn it down to not hear your PAX but you (and your PAX) will still hear the radio(s) and EFIS.

In our case, the intercom volume does affect music levels as well, but nothing else.

The volume knob is intercom volume. It does not affect radio or EFIS volume. This is pretty standard in any intercom. Thus, you can turn it down to not hear your PAX but you (and your PAX) will still hear the radio(s) and EFIS.

In our case, the intercom volume does affect music levels as well, but nothing else.

Thanks for the clarification...:)

Back