What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MATCO brakes and safety wire

RV74ME

Well Known Member
Just installed the wheels and MATCO brakes and read about safety wiring the two bolts that hold the outboard brake pad. The bolts that came with the MATCO brakes have nord-lock washers, but the heads are not drilled for safety wire.

Do I need to replace them with AN4H-xx bolts?

Do I need to replace them with AN4H-xx bolts?

Nope. On the Matco calipers with Nord-Lock washers, no safety wire is needed. You certainly can replace the bolts with drilled head bolts and safety wire them for a belt-and-suspenders approach if you wish, but it's unnecessary.

Nord-lock washers are suppose to be replaced every time they are used, so you either should keep a stock, or go ahead and drill the head to insert safety wire

Did a quick google on nord lock washers:

Reusing Nord-Lock
Nord-Lock washers can normally be reused. As with
all fasteners, they should be inspected for wear before reassembly. Make sure that the washers are reinstalled correctly cam face to cam face. Nord-Lock recommends lubrication of fasteners before reuse in order to minimize changes in friction conditions.

I have reused them with no issues. Just stick to the torque recommendations.

Nordlock washers are used on the RV-12 prop bolts.

I have not yet had a situation where I had to replace any.

I use Nordlock washers on my prop bolts, prop extension, brake discs, and brake assemblies. I've never had one get loose. I'm aware that they can be re-used but I just use new ones. They're fairly inexpensive (50c each) from McMaster-Carr. (click on Wedge-Lock Washers)

Back