What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One-sided File?

MED

Well Known Member
Is there such a thing? Looking for a way to consistently form the 0.050" gap between the cowling (lit.: little cow) parts.

Is there another way?

Thanks in advance.

Multitool

I used the flat blade wrapped with sandpaper on my multitool to get a very consistent gap on my doors. You can vary the thicknesses of paper to get the desired gap. It worked very well and fast. I have gotten a consistent CC width gap.

One way...

To make a consistent gap between along cowl edges, I used a strip of, say, .032 aluminum and stuck the appropriate grit of sand paper with spray adhesive.
I have also sprayed adhesive on the back of sandpaper and place several popsicle sticks on it. Then use an ex-acto knife to cut them out. Sorta makes a bunch of one-sided fingernail files. Worked good for me. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I had not considered using a multi tool, and sticking sandpaper to aluminum strips sounds like it would work, too. I guess there is still a market opportunity for a single-sided file . . .:rolleyes:

Similar to the above, I used a strip of 0.020" stainless I happened to have on hand, with good quality sandpaper glued to it. Don't forget to wear gloves!

20100912_strip.jpg

Back