What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aveo Engineering lights

Adam W

Well Known Member
just received wing kit today for my 7. starting to contemplate lighting and i came across the LED product by Aveo that replaces the Vans wingtip.
it looks real slick. the little i found to read on it left me unsure if it has a good reputation
can anyone out there give me some true feedback on this product

just received wing kit today for my 7. starting to contemplate lighting and i came across the LED product by Aveo that replaces the Vans wingtip.
it looks real slick. the little i found to read on it left me unsure if it has a good reputation
can anyone out there give me some true feedback on this product

If you search around here for Aveo Ziptips you will find several threads with info from me and others on our experiences with the company. Few people have them--they look *great* when installed! -- but most of us who have contacted Aveo about them have been brushed off.

I think the ZipTips are vaporware...had a buddy who delayed as long as he could hoping they'd finally start selling them, and finally had to give up after something like 18 months of waiting.

Now, on the other hand, I have their Ultra Embedded Nav/Strobes + Posistrobe tail light and I'm very happy with them. The tail light yellowed somewhat after a couple of years (hangared, too, so probably not sunlight exposure) and they replaced it no questions asked, didn't even want the old one back...just a pic of the problem.

So their customer service is hit or miss. I have their touch-sensitive dome light and map light, and they work great, but buying them was a PITA.

Nav/strobes are available from ACS, IIRC, though.

Zip Tips

The Aveo service is much better now that they have a dedicated office in Florida. I had their 6 in 1 lights on my first 7. They were very bright and electrically quiet.

The Zip Tips are a great idea. I was interested in them but had already set up my tips, installed antennas and lighting wirings so I was able to purchase only the light modules to install in my tips. In that process now. I believe the Zip Tips are shipping now.

The products are excellent but Aveo suffered from poor customer service. As I noted, it is much better now. If you have any questions, call Damien at the Florida office. He is quite responsive and helpful.

LEDS

I have a set of FLYLEDS from Paul (www.flyleds.com)and I know a couple of others who have some of his product. A lot cheaper and excellent quality.

Have a search in the forum and you will see what I mean.

I also believe he is going to OshKosh and will have some kits available. Might want to organise a catch up.

Fogged PosiStrobe, tail

I think the ZipTips are vaporware...had a buddy who delayed as long as he could hoping they'd finally start selling them, and finally had to give up after something like 18 months of waiting.

Now, on the other hand, I have their Ultra Embedded Nav/Strobes + Posistrobe tail light and I'm very happy with them. The tail light yellowed somewhat after a couple of years (hangared, too, so probably not sunlight exposure) and they replaced it no questions asked, didn't even want the old one back...just a pic of the problem.

So their customer service is hit or miss. I have their touch-sensitive dome light and map light, and they work great, but buying them was a PITA.

Nav/strobes are available from ACS, IIRC, though.

I have had the same issue with my tail strobe fogging over also stored in a hangar, and in a low sun part of the country.

When I bought mine, very early in the product line (2007?) I was under the impression that they had a lifetime warranty but now when I look on the website it is only 4 years and they specifically state they will not warrant fading issue with the covering.

Seems that they should last much longer than the 3 years they have been installed on my plane.

Cheers

Aveo Ultra LED Aircraft Lights

Well, I bought Aveo Ultra lights for wing tips and tail.
I've installed them and tested them.
They work on the bench fine. You can see them here.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...n&project=607&category=3818&log=179119&row=12

But I'm not flying yet. I thought they were a solid solution. Local rep is very nice and supportive. They synch their flashing with all three lights and like LEDs draw very little current. They are way to bright to look at.

Love the lights

Well, I bought Aveo Ultra lights for wing tips and tail.
I've installed them and tested them.
They work on the bench fine. You can see them here.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...n&project=607&category=3818&log=179119&row=12

But I'm not flying yet. I thought they were a solid solution. Local rep is very nice and supportive. They synch their flashing with all three lights and like LEDs draw very little current. They are way to bright to look at.

Don't get me wrong I love the lights, I have the original landing light that also holds the Nav/Position light. This are under the wing lens cover and there has been no fogging of these light. What ever was used on the tail strobe does glaze over, it is what you expect to see from a 20 year old Cessna windscreen, yellow and faded.

I have yet to call to get a replacement but based on what I read this week on the website reference warranties I think I will be running into a road block on getting a replacement.

Cheers

The Aveo service is much better now that they have a dedicated office in Florida. I had their 6 in 1 lights on my first 7. They were very bright and electrically quiet.

The Zip Tips are a great idea. I was interested in them but had already set up my tips, installed antennas and lighting wirings so I was able to purchase only the light modules to install in my tips. In that process now. I believe the Zip Tips are shipping now.

The products are excellent but Aveo suffered from poor customer service. As I noted, it is much better now. If you have any questions, call Damien at the Florida office. He is quite responsive and helpful.

That's interesting. I had been in contact with them several times earlier in the year with no response. Have they gotten more responsive since March? If they really are, I'm still interested in the Ziptips, but I have my reservations.

How??

That's interesting. I had been in contact with them several times earlier in the year with no response. Have they gotten more responsive since March? If they really are, I'm still interested in the Ziptips, but I have my reservations.

Did you call or email? If just email, call. So many times emails go into a Spam folder and never get seen.

Damien has been responsive when I have called.

Did you call or email? If just email, call. So many times emails go into a Spam folder and never get seen.

Damien has been responsive when I have called.

I called with no response and then got an answer to an email, but subsequent emails were ignored. Maybe it is worth another try.

I called with no response and then got an answer to an email, but subsequent emails were ignored. Maybe it is worth another try.

So it seems not much has changed over the years with this company. That's too bad, I just don't understand the poor communications by some companies.

So it seems not much has changed over the years with this company. That's too bad, I just don't understand the poor communications by some companies.

Too many companies don't seem to understand that the customer, not the product, is what generates income. You can have the most beautiful product that out-functions the competition and still fail because you did not serve your customer's needs.

Think of how many potential customers get driven away by bad word of mouth, especially in an industry as small as this.

thanks to all

thanks for the advice everyone
the product looks so good ill attempt to contact them by phone. i have sent an email three days ago with no reply

I have all Aveo lights in my RV-10, but I'm currently not flying. They all seem to be very high quality and work great on the bench. That being said, I do not have any of the models people have had complaints about. I'm hoping they will serve me well. If not, I guess I'll replace them with something else. When I saw their displays, side by side at Airventure, they seemed to be the brightest and most powerful available, albeit at a premium cost.

One more data point:

I really like AVEO stuff. I have purchased their interior and exterior lights for many different RV's over the last handful of years.

Karen and Damien treat me great. Occasionally I've had to call or email a second time but no biggie IMO.

Love their multi color sweep intensity interior eyeballs :)!

I installed their Zip Tips on one of my RV10's, had a problem with the nav light on one and they replaced free of charge. I also had a 6 in 1 that was mishandled (not AVEO's fault) and they replaced it no charge, which was way above and beyond :).

I have a set of Zip Tips in que for my current RV8 slider-fastback project, should be here very soon.

AVEO is always my first choice, actually.....they are my only choice :D.

Last edited:
agreed with Rick here- I've worked with them on lights for my lancair (deice lights and other specialty items and they've been great) as for ZipTips, i'm getting a set for my RV7, here's some pictures from the shop in Florida as of this week

plenty of zip tips on hand ready to ship, i believe their RV14 and RV10 molds are coming in august

i really like the aramid fiber cloth they're experimenting with for increased strength

P9rYRKX.jpg

tWTvXzs.jpg

xvUDU6G.jpg

32lf7b8.jpg

RPZwtZj.jpg

pFs8Pxe.jpg

I just wrote up a little story on my experience too under the Main Discussion. Aveo is making progress. Check out my thread for a few more details, but bottom line, if you like and want their product, give Damien a call.

...i really like the aramid fiber cloth they're experimenting with for that kewl Kevlar(tm) look.

Fixed that for ya ;)

In an application like this, aramid fiber adds no usable strength at all. Its modulus of elasticity is so low that by the time it has absorbed any significant amount of stress it has stretched out so far that it has shed all of the resin it was saturated with.

In gliders like the HP-24, I use aramids for two things: When I actually want a part that has relatively low stiffness, like my full-span flaperons, and to absorb energy in a crash.

The big downside to aramid fibers is when you try to finish them. When you cut an aramid edge, you get a fuzzy edge. When you drill a hole in aramid, you get a fuzzy hole. When you sand an aramid surface, you get a fuzzy surface. I set up the HP-24 kit so that there's no place where the builder has to sand aramid fibers. Most of it is either buried under gelcoat or inside other laminations.

Thanks, Bob K.

Back