What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low Cost Skyview backup for Android Tablets?

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I am using a Nexus Tablet as a potential backup in case of Skyview complete failure in flight. For the GPS function I found the Flight Plan Map function quite satisfactory. As it is using sectional maps I also find it a useful complement to the Skyview Map which lacks some of the sectional's data. Note that Flight Plan is available for free on Android tablets.
My next search is for an ADAHR substitute. I found a product called "Glass Cockpit 100 by Peix Software. The cost is $5.99 and it is claimed to be based on the GT1000. If no special devices are connected to the tablet like Atmospheric pressure, outside temperature, humidity, some information will not be available. I don't expect miracle from this App, just to be able to bring the plane safely to an airport is case of major avionics failure.
I am curious to know if anyone has tried this latest App and what they think of it?
As a side comment, there were questions in earlier Threads about the readability of the Nexus screen in the bright light of the RV-12 cockpit. I found it workable, not great compared to the Skyview screen but useable. Mine is tugged just in front of the pilot vent.

Do these apps require access to the cell/data networks to load the charts? If so, they may not work in the air where there is very limited access to both.

How about the wingXPro progam for back-up?
Excellent!
It started out as a backup.
Now, after using it for a while (did a 2,200 nm cross-country, San Jose to Tampa), it is my new primary.
I actually like it better than SkyView.
WingX has a simulator that you can practice on. That is how I prepared for my cross-country, to pick up my airplane. Before then, I had never actually used it in the air.
Simple to use . . . and updates are a snap. . . . :)

Tech support is excellent also.
Was recommended to me by experienced users. Now I recommend it to anybody who inquires. . . . :)

Nexus 7 as backup and GDL Antenna

I use Nexus 7 with Garmin Pilot. Works great for maps, charts and navigation. Screen is clear and bright. It does not require cell nor wifi when flying. It uses GPS receiver for position. You use wifi or cell connection before flying to update maps and weather.

But per your ADHRS question I doubt these apps will work because they are using accelerometers in the tablet which only work on the ground. When you are turning in the airplane there is centrifugal forces so that the attitude indicator would not work correctly. A bank won't show due to centifugal forces. It will look like you are flying straight.

But there is a $800 dollar add on antenna called GDL that does add ADHRS and weather.

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/20747

i went to the wingxpro website and only found the app for apple for $75/yr.
on ''wingx'' site i found an android app . it had an app for an annual fee but the user ratings [if you can believe them] were poor so i looked no further.

avare makes a truly free app for android with everything you can think of. i have used it a couple of yrs. and i like it.

For $5.99 I could not pass the opportunity to try the G1000 lookalike from Peix Software. Here is how it looks once loaded on my Nexus:
view

Now how is it working in flight?
Let's be realistic, although the look is glass cockpit, the attitude rendering is far from perfect, artificial horizon wobbly, the compass quite unstable but my objective is not to use it in IFR but to save my skin if the Skyview fails during a VFR flight. What I need is altitude and speed and these two parameters are provided by the GPS function in a reliable manner. I am working on a small tool to convert the GPS speed into airspeed for landing. For this I will take the data from the AWOS where I land, calculate the wind speed down the runway. I will add it to my typical IAS downwind speed, it will be my GPS target speed on downwind and substract it from my typical IAS on final: this will be my GPS target speed on final.
I checked that the switch between the App providing GPS backup (the Map function of Flight Plan) and this Glass Cockpit App is quick and easy and now I can fly my RV-12 without the fear of Skyview blackout : I will not get lost and I will not crash on landing! All this for $5.99, it's a steal! :cool:

If you're inclined to try other apps, I highly recommend Air Navigation Pro. It will give you flight data based on the internal GPS/gyros, or connect to some of the outside AHARS boxes that are available (not sure which ones yet). You can download free maps for all of north america, based on the Open Streetmap dataset. That includes terrain. The app will overlay airspace on top. It's not a sectional, but it's great for situational awareness and is usually 90% of what you need to know. Sectionals can be *purchased* from within the app if you want them. Not sure why they have to charge for them and FltPlanGo doesn't...

Without an external AHARS box I wouldn't want the flight instruments anyway... I just use the moving map in ANP or FPG when flying, and look out the window for horizon. :)

Without AHRS can attitude display correctly?

For $5.99 I could not pass the opportunity to try the G1000 lookalike from Peix Software. Here is how it looks once loaded on my Nexus:
view

Now how is it working in flight?
Let's be realistic, although the look is glass cockpit, the attitude rendering is far from perfect, artificial horizon wobbly, the compass quite unstable but my objective is not to use it in IFR but to save my skin if the Skyview fails during a VFR flight. What I need is altitude and speed and these two parameters are provided by the GPS function in a reliable manner. I am working on a small tool to convert the GPS speed into airspeed for landing. For this I will take the data from the AWOS where I land, calculate the wind speed down the runway. I will add it to my typical IAS downwind speed, it will be my GPS target speed on downwind and substract it from my typical IAS on final: this will be my GPS target speed on final.
I checked that the switch between the App providing GPS backup (the Map function of Flight Plan) and this Glass Cockpit App is quick and easy and now I can fly my RV-12 without the fear of Skyview blackout : I will not get lost and I will not crash on landing! All this for $5.99, it's a steal! :cool:

Jean, without AHRS can this app display attitude correctly. I don't think so because in flight roll yields a turn and centrifugal forces which doesn't happen on the ground. For navigation its a great backup but for flying, I don't think this will keep your wings level in the soup. I haven't spent the dough yet either and want a attitude backup to my primary flight instruments driven by the vacuum pump, these ipad/droid apps? Not so sure.

Why would one need AHRS backup in a 12? Is there a way to legally fly a 12 in IFR? (I am still confused about the myriad of LSA rules variations). Is anybody doing it with a 12 under E-AB?

In regards to the maps already discussed, Avare is android, is free, maps are uploaded and stored so cell connection not needed in flight. Just need a device with gps which includes most phones/tablets nowadays. Will do ADS-B weather if you have Wifi or Bluetooth ADS-B transmitter. Georeferenced airport maps that pop up automatically as soon as you land.

Now that I am happy with the back-up software I selected (see my post above)
I am facing a power supply issue with my Nexus. It is a well known problem: the Nexus Micro USB cable does not like most Cigarette lighter to USB converters. After some research I thought I had found a solution with this "ByteSmasher" guy:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=33956286#post33956286
However after building the modified cable he describes I still not get the charging signal on my Nexus.
A work in progress but any suggestion for a solution welcomed.

office depot

Guess I got lucky because a grabbed a cigarette to USB at office depot for about $12 (I think it is Belkin) and it powered the N7(2) to Oshkosh and back. I used the cord that came with the Nexus minus the wall plug. I hadn't heard there were any issues.

Good luck

USB car charger problem solved:

I went through 3 different brands to get one working, interestingly the good one was the cheapest, bought for $1 at ... Dollar Tree Aviation. It is working with the original micro USB cable, although I checked that the modified cable documented in my earlier post works too.

The non working brands were:
- Insignia bought at Best Buy (for the price of one I could buy a dozen at Dollar Tree)
- Scosche bought in a car parts store

I still need to check if the 1 Amp output is sufficient to sustain the charge of the Nexus 7 in flight.
Note that the non working adapters have been tested in several cigarette lighter plugs with different USB cables and loads before being declared bad. They were dual USB ports with an output rating of 2.1 Amps.

... For what it's worth.

USB car charger problem solved:

I went through 3 different brands to get one working, interestingly the good one was the cheapest, bought for $1 at ... Dollar Tree Aviation. ...

To understand why there are so many problems finding the right USB battery charger, take a look in this ebook: Secrets Of USB Port Battery Charging available at Amazon, iBooks, B&N, Smashwords. Link at CommitLift.

I had problems charging my IPad, and found that I need at least 1500 ma output to get a charge indication. The 500 ma converters just don't hack it.

Back