What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 first flight.

Well done Scott and your helpers, I hope all your testing goes well. Great motivation for me to keep working hard.thanks for posting

Outstanding! Great work getting it to the finish line - lookign forward to seeing it soon.

Congratulations!!

Scott---Mike, and all the proto shop folks, Big congrats to you all.

Borrowed a photo..................... great shot :D

VAF_80%20Jun.%2016%2015.18.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats I was wondering who's plane that was. Kit plane magazine reposted that on Facebook as well.

Congratulations for a job well done! Once again the countless hours of hard work has paid off. I am sure it will be a hot seller for those who want the little wheel in the back.

At this point Mike Seager is the only pilot to have flown it (out flying right now), but that will be changing soon.
His initial feed back is that once wheels up it flys just like the tri-gear. Initial speed comparisons show that it is slightly faster than the trigear (as would be expected) but we will have to wait for detailed data to say how much.
At this point, if we compensate for the difference in engine power and propeller (the tri-gear has a blended airfoil, and the tail dragger a traditional blade) it looks like the speed difference will be pretty similar to what it is between an RV-7 and an RV-7A with same engine and prop.

Scott,

Thanks for the info on the first flight ...provides lots of motivation! Can you tell us what model of IO-360 you're using? Is Van's planning to offer a FWF package for this setup?

Thanks Jim

Scott,

Thanks for the info on the first flight ...provides lots of motivation! Can you tell us what model of IO-360 you're using? Is Van's planning to offer a FWF package for this setup?

Thanks Jim

I think I saw somewhere that they used an IO-360A1B6, but I could be wrong. The current FWF parts will work with an angle valve IO-360.

I think I saw somewhere that they used an IO-360A1B6, but I could be wrong. The current FWF parts will work with an angle valve IO-360.

Yup. The engine is the first angle valve IO-360A1B6 ever purchased by Van's. It was originally used in the first (blue) RV-8 prototype and then used on the RV-8A prototype It was at TBO with nothing having been done to it other than normal maint. It was removed from the RV-8A.
We sent it to Aerosport Power where they did a fantastic total overhaul and it is now ready for another 2000 hrs on the RV-14. The engine has been running great.... we haven't even seen the oil temps go above 200 F. yet.

The RV-14 FWF kit will be compatible with any angle valve Lycoming.

The size of the aircraft is readily apparent in these photos - the pilot (Mike) looks tiny. Most other RV's make the pilot look like he's filling the bubble.

Even for a guy building with training wheels these are inspiring and may make their way onto the wall in the shop. Good work and clear skies. Lets hope for OSH to work out.

Back