What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The need for speed

prkaye

Well Known Member
It's interesting how, for the majority of us in the RV community, speed is a big deal. We love how fast our planes are, and wish they were faster.
A buddy of mine who is a military pilot, articulated the inherent paradox in an amusing way... "as pilots, we seek out every opportunity we can to get in the cockpit and go flying. but as soon as we get airborne, it's all about getting to where we're going as fast as possible".
I chuckled when he said this, reflecting on how true and also absurd this is!
With the price of fuel these days, I'm trying to force myself to power-back, slow down, and enjoy flying, even on cross countries. Easier said than done!

Kind of like bicyclists who ride for exercise. I see the folks riding the multi-thousand dollar bikes, the expensive gear, scrounging for the extra few mph. all to go get exercise. The better workout would be on the old WalMart cruiser riding into the wind with your high-drag clothing, wouldn't it??

Not knocking free choice. Just interesting to see.

Last edited:
On one occasion several years ago, I happened to be seated on an airline flight a row in behind Burt Rutan. Since we were on the way from a major aviation event, there were lots of other pilots on the airplane. A couple of pilots kept pumping Burt for ideas on making their airplanes faster. I was somewhat surprised Burt weathered the questioning so well, but I chuckled when he asked "you must not like flying very much do you?" The pilot said "of course I like flying" Burt's response was " then why are you in such a hurry to get it over with?" Ended the questions.

/... I was somewhat surprised Burt weathered the questioning so well, but I chuckled when he asked "you must not like flying very much do you?" The pilot said "of course I like flying" Burt's response was " then why are you in such a hurry to get it over with?" Ended the questions.

I think the same thing every time someone passes me on the freeway. I must be one of the very few drivers in California that actually enjoys driving.:rolleyes: (I have to, I spend over 500 hours a year doing it...)

It's interesting how, for the majority of us in the RV community, speed is a big deal. We love how fast our planes are, and wish they were faster.
A buddy of mine who is a military pilot, articulated the inherent paradox in an amusing way... "as pilots, we seek out every opportunity we can to get in the cockpit and go flying. but as soon as we get airborne, it's all about getting to where we're going as fast as possible".
I chuckled when he said this, reflecting on how true and also absurd this is!
With the price of fuel these days, I'm trying to force myself to power-back, slow down, and enjoy flying, even on cross countries. Easier said than done!

I've heard this often, but it misses one important point. If I had unlimited time (and who does?) I could fly anywhere in the world in the slowest plane (fuel limited, of course) and enjoy it. With the limited time I can commit, however, a fast plane gives me exponentially more options on things to see and places to visit. Kinda like how it is feasible for you to fly to Osh and Sun'n'Fun rather than being limited to Cornwall and Smiths Falls! ;) As another saying goes... "It's a big country. You need a fast plane."

I do not, however, have any come back for the fuel price. :confused:

Two types of flying...

There's travelling and there's sightseeing. When travelling, I like to move fast to maximize time at destination (limited vacation days). A few moons back, I had a Cub for the other type of flying. Slow, low, and lots of natural AC.

Last edited:
Kind of like bicyclists who ride for exercise. I see the folks riding the multi-thousand dollar bikes, the expensive gear, scrounging for the extra few mph. all to go get exercise. The better workout would be on the old WalMart cruiser riding into the wind with your high-drag clothing, wouldn't it??

I actually do ride a heavier bike with normal clothing for the exercise, but if I drive, faster is more fun. I guess it is the challenge, exercise of skill, or just the manliness of it. When it comes to flying, I want to be able to go fast as possible with the hp available. This way I can throttle back, (drop rpm) cruise at a better speed and get better efficiency, maybe it really comes down to being cheap. That is why I got 180 hp and wish to go as fast as it will go WOT, reduced rpm, at the least fuel burn while doing so. If I can beat the 200hp Vans numbers with low drag, then I have achieved my goal. If I can go 500nm rather than 300 (or 250) for the same fuel I will take it.

When I get older, and/or get the travel itch satisfied, a Cub-like bird on a (my) grass field sounds like a wonderful thing to look forward to.

Will stick with my o320

I was contemplating selling my o320, 150 hp Lycoming and getting one of the higher hp engines. Now I am re-thinking that idea. I still am concerned about flying over the mountains with the 150 hp.

Yeah, but how cool is it to say, "I rode 10 miles this morning" when you can say, "I rode 80 miles this morning." Personally, I like speed and economy because I don't like flying as much as like the efficiency of travel that it provides, especially if I value my time at all.

The faster you can make your aeroplane, the cheaper you can fly it slowly.

Eg. If you can improve your average -9A to cruise at 200mph on 8GPH, then you can pull your power back and cruise at the book figure of 180mph burning 6.5GPH.

A friend keeps his very nice champ on my strip. I can fly it whenever I want to, and it is peach. I have not flown it in two years. My rocket uses more fuel per hour then the champ but when we fly to the same destination I use less total fuel. I am sitting in Nanaimo BC, 1800nm from home. The champ is never going to make this trip.

For me, speed is essential.

Owning a small business means that I can't usually be gone for long, and I have to be able to react quickly in an emergency. If someone doesn't show up for their shift, for example, I may have to return, pronto.

In a state the size of Texas, that speed means that we can go to Brownsville, San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Galveston, and all points in between in less than an hour. Heck, even Dallas is ~2 hours away, versus an 8 hour drive.

If we're not in a hurry, we can always throttle back.

It's payback time!

I've spent too many years watching trucks and cars on the highway below me drive faster than I could fly in the Aeronca I used to have. It's now payback time!! :D

I've spent too many years watching trucks and cars on the highway below me drive faster than I could fly in the Aeronca I used to have. It's now payback time!! :D

Well said. I like the thought of at least doubling the speeds of what most people drive on the Interstate (75-80 mph).

I don't recall ever once sitting in a plane and thinking, "Gee, I sure wish this thing could go slower". I've sat in a C-172 and contemplated the five or six hours (and a fuel stop) I had left to get home, though.

I also like the fact that RVs are pretty speedy right out of the box. I'm not the sort to obsess over that last knot or two…but the gear fairings and wheel pants WILL be fitted for the first flight! :D

The rv6 is the perfect blend of, fast or slow, high or low, right side up or up side down. Love it. Perfect.
Also, interesting how fast people say there rv is. Then you input there tail # into flight aware and viola! same old rv numbers. No magic there. Takes a lot of $$$$ and work to pass up those rv stats.
c1afdfbdb65daebdbac727bc6eeb5427.jpg

The faster you can make your aeroplane, the cheaper you can fly it slowly.

Eg. If you can improve your average -9A to cruise at 200mph on 8GPH, then you can pull your power back and cruise at the book figure of 180mph burning 6.5GPH.

... This is absolutely true and if champ speeds of 105 mph tickles your fancy you can do that on 2.5 GPH as well. These little airplanes are very difficult to beat....:D

Well..

It's like this. I have 2 granddaughters (cousins) and one is being raised very goal oriented, the other enjoys the journey...I see no right or wrong answer here. I built and flew a "7" now I fly a "1". :cool:

Back