Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > Rocket
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 08:39 AM

I personally would feel more comfortable flying an ILS at 120kts with half flaps especially if you may be picking up ice. So I can see his reasoning.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:53 PM

Hmmm... re-designing a flap system so that you can fly an *íunstabilized approachí in KNOWN icing conditions ó- seems problematic to me.

*flying an approach at 120K in an airplane that is designed to land at 60K is, by definition, an unstabilized approach.

Iím not saying you shouldnt fly an approach at the upper limit of the speed that defines your stabilized approach criteria in order to maintain more precise controllability - with a clean wing, but why do you need flaps for that?

If you encounter unforcast icing that you think requires you to use flaps on an approach at 120K, then go ahead and do it. If built according to plans, the flaps should be able to withstand a load 50% above design on a limited basis, but this is an abnormal/emergency situation. I donít think I would chose to do that, but if you get the airplane on the ground without damage or injury, youíve succeeded. However - if you havenít experienced impact icing on the bottom of your wing, accentuated by using flaps, you wonít want to do that twice, ask me how I know....
Old 11-10-2018, 11:51 PM

Default No flap approach.

It sounds like there is a lot of room for improvement in the flap system, but maybe the simplest way to handle the problem is to come up with a no flap approach procedure. Leaving the flaps up until I get into visual conditions or going missed. The only thing that concerns me about that is when I arrive at minimums going 100 or faster it will eat up a bunch of runway getting the rocket slowed down. I probably just need to shoot some practice approaches and see what speed works best.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-401 View Post
It sounds like there is a lot of room for improvement in the flap system, but maybe the simplest way to handle the problem is to come up with a no flap approach procedure. Leaving the flaps up until I get into visual conditions or going missed. The only thing that concerns me about that is when I arrive at minimums going 100 or faster it will eat up a bunch of runway getting the rocket slowed down. I probably just need to shoot some practice approaches and see what speed works best.
Iíve been a professional pilot for 31 years, 20 in the AF and 11 at the airline. About a a mile or 2 prior to glide slope intercept or the FAF Iím at 80 knots with half flaps. A minor tweak at that point to start down and then nothing to do until decision height except look for the approach lights and the runway. Is it slow? Yes, but Iím flying an airplane without a flight director, autopilot, and another pilot next to me, that likes to get knocked around by the wind a lot.

That said, I do regularly practice ILSís no flap at various speeds in day, VMC conditions. When duty calls, Iíll be ready.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post

Very clever system. I like it!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-401 View Post
Rockets loose speed really easy. The big fan on the front is more effective than any speed brake you will ever encounter. Just pull off the power and if that does not slow you fast enough, holding the nose up and a touch of rudder cross up will.

Smokey said it just about right in an earlier post.
In any case after you fly your machine VFR for a while I think it will become a non issue to slow your rocket with ease. They are heavy pigs and slow down a lot easier than a 4 does. Just pull power.

The weldment of the flap arms to the bell- crank torque tube is the weak link and the actuator arm to the same torque tube. Ask yourself what would happen if one of the flap arm tubes broke off the torque tube from overload/overspeed in IMC what the result would be. There is no need to ever go there.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Squaz View Post
I’ve been a professional pilot for 31 years, 20 in the AF and 11 at the airline. About a a mile or 2 prior to glide slope intercept or the FAF I’m at 80 knots with half flaps. A minor tweak at that point to start down and then nothing to do until decision height except look for the approach lights and the runway. Is it slow? Yes, but I’m flying an airplane without a flight director, autopilot, and another pilot next to me, that likes to get knocked around by the wind a lot.

That said, I do regularly practice ILS’s no flap at various speeds in day, VMC conditions. When duty calls, I’ll be ready.
My SOP is to pull the power back and slow down to 100 MPH approaching GS intercept and add 10* of flaps. I find that it is easier to control things at that speed. Further down the approach (500 AGL) I will slow down to 85. I hand fly all of my approaches and find the additional speed makes it easier to manage turbulence induced challenges.

Might want to try it during a practice to see if it helps.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 11-12-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 AM

Rocket Bob!!!!

Clever flap gizmo made of unobtanium but thatís not the story!!

You have wings on that thing!! Youíve been holding out:-)

Good show, canít wait till you get to fly it.

Cheers
HR
Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 AM

Thanks gents. Iíve been working on it at a glacial pace. Too many projects! Its one of a kind for sure.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:01 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsxv905zii...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Old airplane

New airplane

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjeh9sbf8m...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Engine

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kczfmcfppu...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Flap actuator

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfs3joffub...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Having fun with pictures
Enjoy
HR

Last edited by hrhodes2@comcast.net : 11-15-2018 at 04:22 PM.