What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot population

jask

Well Known Member
"Given the consistent loss of pilot population, we're all flying bad investments, more or less.

Me? I don't care. I wanted to be here my whole life." Dan Horton[

This shocked me some so I did some research. yes, it has declined drastically but that IMO is not the entire story. I think that three major factors play out to create this situation. First is the huge number of pilots trained during the war years that have died. Second is the war on the pilots by the major airlines that started in the 1980's. Third is the change after the Colgan crash that required both seats to have 1500 hrs.

What I found refreshing was to see the increase in student pilots and CFIs. Also, if you look at active pilots, those with medicals, the numbers are pretty consistent from 1990 on. They still show a decrease after airline jobs lost their luster but the past year has shown an increase.

I don't think the future for GA is getting dimmer and I think the newer LSA rules are a bright spot.

I agree, GA is not dead or dying, at one time I thought maybe it was dying but in recent years here in the Pacific North West all the flight schools have been churning out new pilots as fast as they can. At the same time they have been begging for more CFIs to train an increasing number of pilots. I?m enthusiastic about the future for pilots and GA, I know some of these young pilots, reminds me of me 30 years ago.

Aviation has been a major part of my life since a child. From flying toy planes to driving an Airbus it's been both rewarding and challenging. Personally down under flying at the GA Level is diminishing for a variety of reasons, one being cost and another influence is our authority (CASA) who are **** bent on making GA more difficult from cost to over regulation, we are fighting a losing battle here and it is having an effect on the flying population. The Airlines are struggling to fill pilot seats, the path to Airline flying is no longer glamorous (like it was once) or secure, very costly and in serious competition wth the IT industry. We have a land mass similar to the USA lower 48 states yet such a small population and with that we don't have aviation infrastructure that promotes cross country travel on a decent scale like the States do. When you pay an equivalent $US9+ a gallon (if you can get fuel) that's a huge detected to flying. The answer? There isn't one sadly but we fly on regardless till the end!

I agree, GA is not dead or dying, at one time I thought maybe it was dying but in recent years here in the Pacific North West all the flight schools have been churning out new pilots as fast as they can. At the same time they have been begging for more CFIs to train an increasing number of pilots. I?m enthusiastic about the future for pilots and GA, I know some of these young pilots, reminds me of me 30 years ago.

The FAA estimates show as a steady state to me...

0313_faa_forecast1.jpg

0313_faa_forecast2.jpg

At least it's a steady state after a large decline with only a slight drop in piston hours flown.

Back