What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Lifting Creeper?

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Has anyone in the RV world built a DIY lifting floor creeper? Something like the guy here, but with a twist. There are a few threads about people buying lifting creepers, but I was specifically looking for a DIY, made with 2 X 4's and bolts type thing. Workbench like...

My little mod idea: I would like to have a boat winch type setup on the right side just about where my hand would rest. This so I can crank it while laying down to lift the creeper bed slightly. I don't see why the crank assembly couldn't stick up a little bit to accommodate a standard winch/handle. Something like the Photoshopped Frankenstein here that I hobbled together.

You know how you need different heights when you're wiping the leading vs trailing edges of your taildragger RV? And the bottom of the cowl vs the underside of the HS? Trying to address those things using the RV Community Brain Trust.....and wood.

Something like Sam did with his DIY tail lift project, but laid down over on its side. Absolutely if I can work up some plans and a prototype with the help of others, I'll host the parts list and plans here somewhere if nobody else wants to.

VAFDR_01%20Aug.%2014%2014.02.jpg

Something like this, drawn up on my iPad just now:

IMG_0535-XL.png

(Rope in red)

I’d like to start at the ailerons and move back and forth, then with a half turn of the crank be perfectly positioned to do the center of the wing, then with a half turn of the crank be in perfect position for the leading edge area. That sort of thing.

Maybe a little cup holder on the side for a spray bottle and rags...

Last edited:
Another idea

Dunno where I saw it, but one gent took a std HF creeper and reset the chassis inverted. I did that last week - wonderful!

It's the unit with the curved square tubes that the bed rests on - just flip it over so the curves are UP, reset the wheels and re-attach the bed. Item #63311 @ $27

Haven't cleaned a really grimy belly yet, but I think it will be a lot better - $0 invested, but I will buy another for auto use....

[ed. This? https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/i-bbSqkX8/0/ee49cfdc/X2/Ron's phone 376-X2.jpg. Neat mod but I was hoping to raise my body up higher. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug , I'm not smart enough to have the link to a post I made a while back, but if you search floor creeper you will see my post where I flipped the frame upside down to raise the bed and I love it. Ivan posted my photo farther along in the post (second page). Might do the job for you.

[ed. This? https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/i-bbSqkX8/0/ee49cfdc/X2/Ron's phone 376-X2.jpg. Neat mod but I was hoping to raise my body up higher. v/r,dr]

That's it!

Yes - that's the mod. I'll probably look harder at the expensive version as my back deteriorates...meantime this new setup does fine with the tail-mate raising the tail up a bit.

Didn?t he say out of wood ? 😳

But if you are going in the ditch,.....
Can?t you sort one out with a battery pulled off the plane due to age, and a rebuilt flap actuator that has been degreased and brushes replaced? 😁

Yes - that's the mod. I'll probably look harder at the expensive version as my back deteriorates...meantime this new setup does fine with the tail-mate raising the tail up a bit.

Yep.

When the thread about the creeper lifty thingy appeared several months ago, I like Doug, started thinking about how to build a shade-tree version out of materials in the scrap box. After a bit of pondering I decided it simply wasn't worth the effort even if I could make the thing work. The flipped over HF creeper is an excellent mod, and is a great combination with the wood tailwheel hoist.

With the tailwheel hoist in my hangar, I can't think of a scenario when I really need the adjustable creeper. Perhaps a nose-dragger RV with its tail hiked up in an immodest manner might offer more opportunities to use an adjustable creeper...... ;)

Last edited:
At Osh this year

Saw this at Osh. It's a bit pricey and it doesn't adjust while you're on it, but it looks pretty darn nice.

https://www.aerocreeper.com/

In case your interested, the Osh discount code is OSH18, good thru the end of this month.

I've been wanting something like this for quite some time. Hadn't thought of a design but as an interim, I bought one of those low beach chairs with the adjustable back. The chair itself start 8" above the floor which was handier and then the back adjusted up and down to get me even closer if I needed it.

It worked fine for a while but it was too weak to take the stress. So now I'm on the lookout again.

I was thinking of mounting the adjustable back onto a standard creeper.

Saw this at Osh. It's a bit pricey and it doesn't adjust while you're on it, but it looks pretty darn nice.

https://www.aerocreeper.com/

In case your interested, the Osh discount code is OSH18, good thru the end of this month.

Thanks! I just ordered one. My arthritis made my last condition inspection very painful. While pricey, you can't put a price on being pain free.

BTW, the discount code is all caps and is $20.

Here is a thought....

Not an original idea, but I saw this at my airport. Built a rolling platform and simply mounted a car seat (from a scrapyard) to it. It rolled easy, reclined nicely and I would be willing to venture that someone could take it to the next level by putting in a seat with electric movement.

The best part of the seat? It was very very comfortable (complete with headrest)

12V assist

You should be able to scare up a flap actuator from any of the RV models. F1 Boss has a good alternate supplier for less money and lots of models to choose from. You should have a trickle charger around the hangar or some small 12V SLA battery . Potentially cleaner and no crank to snag or bark your knuckles with.
Alternatively a LOW profile scissor jack like in a most Toyota's would fit clean and low in a creeper frame.

Has anyone in the RV world built a DIY lifting floor creeper? Something like the guy here, but with a twist. There are a few threads about people buying lifting creepers, but I was specifically looking for a DIY, made with 2 X 4's and bolts type thing. Workbench like...

My little mod idea: I would like to have a boat winch type setup on the right side just about where my hand would rest. This so I can crank it while laying down to lift the creeper bed slightly. I don't see why the crank assembly couldn't stick up a little bit to accommodate a standard winch/handle. Something like the Photoshopped Frankenstein here that I hobbled together.

You know how you need different heights when you're wiping the leading vs trailing edges of your taildragger RV? And the bottom of the cowl vs the underside of the HS? Trying to address those things using the RV Community Brain Trust.....and wood.

Something like Sam did with his DIY tail lift project, but laid down over on its side. Absolutely if I can work up some plans and a prototype with the help of others, I'll host the parts list and plans here somewhere if nobody else wants to.

IMG_0534-XL.jpg

(Rope in red)

I’d like to start at the ailerons and move back and forth, then with a half turn of the crank be perfectly positioned to do the center of the wing, then with a half turn of the crank be in perfect position for the leading edge area. That sort of thing.

Last edited:
Floor Creeper

I have to think one could have fun getting a modern car seat then using all the servo s and buttons to make a nice floor creeper?

IMG_0535-XL.png

(Rope in red)

https://ezcreeper.com/

[ed. $950. Thanks I'll pass. b,d]

Love the idea - Hate the Price

This is a great idea but the price puts it in the purely luxury category. I can put a lot of pillows under my head with my $29 Harbor Freight creeper for the $400 price of the EZCreeper! Frankly, the price gives me the CREEPS!

[ed. The EZ is $950 - no thanks I'll pass. I could build 15 of what I'm proposing for that <g>.....probably more! b,d]

Just bought the HF creeper today for $27 and turned it around to give me a little more ?altitude?, and I have to say, it?s pretty comfortable. I don?t think the plastic wheels will last long, but I?ve saved better castoring wheels from other projects and I?ll change them out when it becomes necessary. Designing and building a home grown version could not be done cheaper.

DR, why not use a low priced hydraulic jack from HF to do the lifting job. Most will operate from the horizontal position and you could have a large lifting force. Maybe more than the the frame allowed if not careful. Most floor jacks have a horizontal mounting for the cylinder with linkage to the jack plate.

Wow! I'll bet that one will exceed my weekly airplane budget money for several months. I bet it does DR's also. But nice looking piece of mechanical equipment and appears well made.

electric linear actuators

DR, why not use a low priced hydraulic jack from HF to do the lifting job. Most will operate from the horizontal position and you could have a large lifting force. Maybe more than the the frame allowed if not careful. Most floor jacks have a horizontal mounting for the cylinder with linkage to the jack plate.

This one has 100lbs/force on 12v. I think a drill battery would work fine with an up/down switch (like the flaps switch in your RV). Less expensive models are available from plenty of suppliers. This part could make the "X" in the lifting mechanism fold and unfold nicely...all you have to do is build the X frame, figure out how much travel you need from the actuator, and your dang near done with the job!

https://www.progressiveautomations.com/linear-actuator-ip66

Some less expensive options:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_lawn-garden+electric-actuators

Switches and fittings at Northern Tool too..

I was looking at the HF creeper on line and wonder if it's possible to mount the seat and backrest on a separate frame that's hinged at the foot and raised and lowered by a cheap HF jack. That would give you a height adjustment and also a back angle adjustment, but not a foot-height adjustment.

If you added a foot rest for use when the seat is raised (and thus inclined) then it might not be a bad way to do this.

Dave

Back